2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
i-Vtec
2,805 Posts
Wonder what state the tyres were in after that? The Veyron would empty its tank in 13 minutes at top speed, wonder what this one does it in?

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,319 Posts
I hope all who mention figures higher than the national Speed Limit also add in that it was of course on a Private Road :smile3:

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What have I started? ..... !!!

One of the most monotone 'songs' I ever heard ... all those years ago ...

Glad they did check the tyres, but it just goes to show how futile these records are !!

'Just going out for a little drive luv, will probably take it onto the Autobahn so I'll pop the tyres onto the X-Ray first to check them out ... '

Al.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
I'm sure the speedo was showing 70, officer.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know it's a huge speed increment again, but I don't know which is more dramatic ...

305 mph in 2019 when 'the average car' can top 120 mph ... or ...
185 mph on the M1 in 1964 when the average car couldn't top 65-70 mph !!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport/day-jack-sears-hit-185mph-m1-motorway

The former was a closed private test track with all prepared for possible eventualities, the latter ... NOT!!

Much maligned but in that context, definitely justified!

Al.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,319 Posts
Start early, drive slow, reach safely.
Spot on... Back in the day when I was young and dumb, I used to make some horrendous overtaking manoeuvres and was a bit heavy on the right foot but it got me nowhere quicker. Chill out and enjoy the scenery these days :smile3:

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Spot on... Back in the day when I was young and dumb, I used to make some horrendous overtaking manoeuvres and was a bit heavy on the right foot but it got me nowhere quicker. Chill out and enjoy the scenery these days :smile3:
Yeah, I was in the Metrocentre this afternoon with the missus and she overheard 3 lads talking, one was telling his mates how he had had to undertake this old fella who was going sooooo slow, then complaining that the other driver had a go at him for undertaking.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Real life!!

Real things happen - including accidents through stupidity, incompetence, indecision and erratic behaviour!!

The best 'interactive game' you'll ever play - ONLY ONCE!!

I do hate people hanging on in 'Lane 2' when Lane 1 is empty, clear and without potential 'intrusions' - no people about to enter.

Having said that, that's what mirrors are for - help you anticipate, drive smoothly, patiently, and maintain a steadier speed - better consumption and less wear ...

Back to OP 'though, what's next?
A multi-million pound land speed record breaker?

I remember the 'general consensus' to limit power to 188 bhp perhaps 25 years ago for 'medium executive' cars - that went a little pear shaped didn't it!!

Al.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts