2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had to drive an 'old' relative home this evening... so i took my dad CLS AMG for obvious reason.......

i hate driving auto, but on my way back, i thought i see what the performance is like:p:p:p:p........as predicted its quick...... comfortably quick...

on paper and reality its way way quicker than any FN2..... but for some reason, when i got back in my FN2, the FN2 just feels faster.... im sure its just me..... but i must admit driving fast in a comfortable car feel slow.... :facepalm::facepalm:

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
it's more to do with the feel of the vehicle, a type R is a drivers car.

plus the noise ;)

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
If anything the AMG should feel faster due to the mountain of torque?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's more to do with the feel of the vehicle, a type R is a drivers car.

plus the noise ;)
i guess so....the R does make you feel more involved plus its a manual, where as the AMG (auto) just feel like your goin quick but not really doing much but put yopur foot down.. although the AMG doesnt sound too bad either:p:p:p

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Check out the speedo then you will see what is fastest ;) my mam has an E350cdi and though it doesn't feel it, it is very fast. The R feels fast because of the rock hard ride.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
think the big German luxury cars are silly quick...

was in my friends evo 6 396bhp 400lb/ft and he got done by an old bloke with a beard in an auto 535d

any by the looks of newer cars, most will be auto soon to help please the euro emissions :(

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
autos have worse emissions afaik?
i thought that but read somewhere about Audi's s5 and s4 being only available in autos as it reduces emissions

PistonHeads Headlines - Audi S4 and S5 ditch manual option for Europe...

and even Porsche have the new 911 with an auto box as standard

new manual 911: 31.4mpg - 212g/km (£260 12months tax a year)
New Auto 911: 34.4mpg - 194g/km (£245 12months tax a year!)

not that you'd be too concerned with running costs if you buy a 80k car

·
Wife & Civics to support
235 Posts
I agree with you tcooc. Whatever speed i do in the 2.2 CTDi, the comparable speed in the CTR ALWAYS feels much faster. I put it down to the manic engine noise, short gear throw and feel of the ride all telling your senses that your actually travelling faster than you are. Whereas the more calm, smoother and quieter ride in the diesel at the same speed gives your senses the opposite impression.

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
I agree with you tcooc. Whatever speed i do in the 2.2 CTDi, the comparable speed in the CTR ALWAYS feels much faster. I put it down to the manic engine noise, short gear throw and feel of the ride all telling your senses that your actually travelling faster than you are. Whereas the more calm, smoother and quieter ride in the diesel at the same speed gives your senses the opposite impression.
totally agree with this .......... I find sticking to the speed limit around town in 1st, punching the accelorator, kangeroo'ing everywhere feels sooo much faster than an auto derv ......... however I would point out if you do this to remember to strap in the small child in the rear as tightly as possible, snot is difficult to clean off the roof lining.

·
Registered
307 Posts
..the type r makes you feel more connected to whats going on thats why it feels quick as well as "being" quick.

...on the flip side i went for 2 longish motorway journies for the first time yesterday and was very surpirsed how it went....felt very stable, smooth and didn't feel like i was lacking any torque at all...it picked up in 4th, 5th and 6th perfectly well.

its the first time my mpg has shown over 30 as well...:facepalm:

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
The Type R definitely feels quicker than it actually is, think its a combination of the noise and cornering ability :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
think the big German luxury cars are silly quick...

was in my friends evo 6 396bhp 400lb/ft and he got done by an old bloke with a beard in an auto 535d

any by the looks of newer cars, most will be auto soon to help please the euro emissions :(
my FN2 kept up with a bmw 335 from the lights. was only a car length in it. not too sure if it was a diesel or petrol though

1 - 20 of 92 Posts