2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a bit surprised to find my 2019 civic aircon was a bit useless this week, I don’t have it on all the time but I do use it fairly regularly, probably more so during the cooler months as I find my car steams up a lot. Main dealer were useless so I took it to a local place who regassed it. The guy told me it only had 100g left and should hold 400g so it had lost 75% effectively, which surprised me for a 2 year old car

I’ve had a lot of cars and never had to regas anywhere near this early, so is the new refrigerant worse or is it possible I have a slight leak somewhere in the system? My wife’s 2015 civic is on the same gas it came with and is still way cooler than mine after the new regas!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was actually making some notes what my Honda dealer told me: Loosing 40 -45 g /year is accepted as normal. And it is correct, you have 400g when it is full. My guess is that you have a leak and need a new condenser on warranty. Mine was missing 115g after one year.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah 10% a year seems acceptable. I’ve just had it filled so I doubt it will last long, shame as it’s £130 a time! I’d hoped the refill pressure test would have shown a leak but apparently not. I have no faith in my dealer so will probably get it fixed by an indie

·
Registered
106 Posts
Why not going to any Honda dealer, telling them that it has been filled up = it's leaking. Now it is time for Honda to search for the actual leak. Tell them it is a warranty claim to find the leak. And most probably they will find that you also have one of those typcial leaking condenser, due to poor manufacuring quality. You couls report your dealer to the Honda company in UK, ask them what to do. Then your case is in the papers within warranty time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Air conditioning should not need recharging after 2 years (my previous BMW went 14 years without a re-gas and it still worked great).

My 2019 Civic’s AC just recently packed in, blowing warm air, Honda replaced the condenser under warranty…it’s a known issue but they won’t help unless you ask. Blows really cold now if required.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The gas had leaked out of mine, new parts fitted under warranty, still running nice and cool 2 yrs later

·
Registered
2007 Honda Civic 2.2 cDti
45 Posts
I had mine regassed by a leading tyre/exhaust fitter. 24 hours later it was dead, when I complained, they told me it was fine when I left the garage. They said to get it fixed and they would regas for free. I wouldn't mind, I paid extra for aircon system disinfectant too. :mad:

·
Registered
246 Posts
It sadly sounds like the dreaded condenser issue that seems to have plagued the 10G Civic. I'm in the middle of getting mine resolved. I don't understand this need to regas so often. I've never had any of my cars air con re-gassed and it's remained perfectly functional during the time I've had it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I'm a little cynical over AC needing to be regassed as a routine.

As an AC is basically a mobile fridge and you don't regas your home ones ever...

Although I get road bumps and stone chips etc can damage the system. My Dad's old Mk6 Civic needed one regas in the 20 years we had it.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
507 Posts
So just out of curiosity, if 10% a year is considered acceptable and 400g is full, at what level would it start affecting cooling? Mine is a 67 plate so just nearly 4 years. So I'm guessing it would be acceptable for mine to only have 60% remaining? Which would make sense why it's only blowing cool but not cold air?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My mk8 had 50g and still cooled the car albeit barely.

I'm surprised the compressor still worked even!!

Charged now but condenser might be on its last legs...

·
Registered
106 Posts
After one year I decided to change the wistling tube. At that time, the dealer told me that I had 285gr, missing 115 gr. The condenser was obviously already leaking.
AC was still cooling, but I noticed that the evaporator behind the glove compartment made some noise, especially when driving slowly. When the tube was exchanged and the system was filled up, the evaporator was quiet for one more year.
When the noise from the evaporator came back one year later, I told them to find the leak, it was the condenser. Everything fixed on warranty, my Civic is close to 3 years old.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts