2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far this forum predicted everything about my car, so maybe I could get an estimate of how long should my turbo last? I didn't know it was on it's way out until I replaced my exhaust manifold recently, now it sounds like this:
{See post #3 for the video M8TJT}
What are your experiences, should I be worried about longer trips? I'm planing on replacing it, but couple more months would be great to save up some money for a decent turbo. Can I make things worse if I continue driving like that for an extended period of time?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would get that fixed ASAP. I'm sure you can find a used turbo on eBay etc with a warranty for fairly cheap. You don't want to risk a blade snapping off and slaughtering your engine?

·
more torque than the mrs
6,722 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But it should be fine as long as oil level is stable and not disappearing, right? I'm planning on replacing the turbo next week, but have this ~200 mile trip to make today, so kinda worried. Also I'm not from UK, so that turbo would cost a fortune to ship probably.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,722 Posts
But it should be fine as long as oil level is stable and not disappearing, right? I'm planning on replacing the turbo next week, but have this ~200 mile trip to make today, so kinda worried. Also I'm not from UK, so that turbo would cost a fortune to ship probably.
can't answer if its ok that's anyone's guess but diesels tend to use a little oil anyway approx 1 litre a year, does the whistle get quieter as the car warms up if it does could be the oil feed pipe being clogged up..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can't answer if its ok that's anyone's guess but diesels tend to use a little oil anyway approx 1 litre a year, does the whistle get quieter as the car warms up if it does could be the oil feed pipe being clogged up..
Nope, stays loud all the time. I try to keep my revs under 2k, because that's when it's least audible, although I don't know if it helps much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: drove 100 miles on my work trip and got low oil warning. Turbo sounds the same, no smoke at all. Oil went from full to empty like a gas tank, not sure if turbo can burn it all without producing any smoke?
Anyway, dumped a whole bottle of oil into the engine and got to where I was supposed to go. Not sure how’ll get back home though...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update 2: If anyone finds this in the future with the same question, I drove around 1000 miles with my turbo whistling and another 100 after filling up some oil. It still drives fine, but I had enough risk and just waiting for the new turbo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts