2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles did you manage on your brake pads before they required replacing?

I ask as I have done almost 38K now, and still have 5mm on the rears and several mm on the fronts. I asked the dealer to focus on checking the brake pads as I expected they would need replacing and they came back with "Not yet". I've had the car from new and it has been serviced regularly on schedule.

Is this some sort of record?
Have I been doing something wrong? The brake is the one in the middle isn't it?!
Or is it just a case that those that shout the loudest are those that have worn them down quickly which is why I think they should be worn by now?

:worms:

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Had mine replaced at 16000 miles. But as I live on an island it's always stop start traffic so I assume mine would wear quicker as I don't get any motorway driving.

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Does anyone know how many mm should be on new pads? Was thinking to check how far mine have worn.

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
My fronts were replaced 11k miles ago. Need new ones already, they are cosworth pads.

To be fair they were a hard 11k miles lol

·
Registered
684 Posts
I replaced mine when I bought the car on 48000 miles.

The car has now done 70000 miles and they are about 50% worn on redstuff pads, so lasting around 20000 so far. Will probably change them in next few months.

As for the discs I havent changed them yet, but I think they will need doing soon. Think they might be the original discs so 70K is not bad.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Sorry to go with my other post up top forgot to say that my total milage in my IMA is about 107000 now so hummm. But then given my driving style I hardly ever brake. I will prob change to new discs and pads at service in April due to the fact the discs will be 9 years old.

·
Registered
201 Posts
30k on mine so far. Still on original pads/discs. Just had my car serviced and the fronts are at 40% wear and rears 30%. Original rear tyres too (5mm tread left) but the fronts were changed at 24k at about 3mm left.

Mainly town driving - I just don't brake much :cool:

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Front pads changed at 20.000 and 40.000km, rear at approx 30.000km.

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As an update I'm on 40K now and going to change them in the coming weeks. Still no requirement to but as I'm putting the car on Castle Combe I want some decent stopping power!

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
Hi John, I believe its really down to your driving style. I've done 22k and the pads are barely worn. I knew someone that had to have new pads for every MOT ie 1 set a year ..... couldn't understand why ...... until I went out in the car with him. Lots of last minute braking at islands and junctions and no engine braking. Driving like that day in day out will pretty much destroy pads in a matter of months.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'driving miss daisy' and I love a spirited drive down the B roads but normal commutes I use brakes and gears to slow down and anticipate as much as possible to save brakes and fuel (leaving me more to use on the B roads).

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I suspect that is the case Paul, my commute now is mostly motorway so hardly any braking (or fun bits either). Personally I thought having done 3 years and 40K and to still not need replacing was good! :VTECSMILEY:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.