2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a fairly newish Bosh S4 battery and was curious how many V do you need to start a petrol 1.8?

I was chilling in the car with the ignition selected to electrics "I'' and the V dropped fairly quickly and coasted on about 11.7 - 8.

If say for eg. my V dropped to 10.00 could I still start the car? Is there a number I need to watch our for if that makes sense?

Also if I switch to ignition "II" the reading is also different I think a little less then what's on "

Reflex camera Digital camera Camera lens Camera accessory Camera

·
Registered
684 Posts
A fully charged battery is around 13 volts. 10 volts would be a flat battery and unlikely to start the engine.

What model and year is the vehicle featured?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A fully charged battery is around 13 volts. 10 volts would be a flat battery and unlikely to start the engine.

What model and year is the vehicle featured?
13v? Isn't that when the cars ignition is on?

MK8 2006

Maybe the alternator isn't as good as it use to be

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am not sure its from the cigarette socket I would presume it reads the battery from there?
Maybe but I would actually measure the voltage at the battery to compare it against what is said on that display.

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,064 Posts
In the good old days a low battery would frank slower but would often start. These days all you get is a click with the 'check system' message.

At what V that occurs would be useful for diagnosis.

I'm quite sure during lockdown mine got lower than 11.8v and still started just fine.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What I will do is test ignition (off, "I", "II" and ignition on) using my trusty voltmeter and compare to the cigarette volt reader and get back to you's. I would have assumed the cigarette volt reader was accurate 🤔. I also remember starting my car on above 10Vs a long time ago..

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
das is right amps are more important than volts but if a battery is reading as low as 10 v id say a cell is down 12 volt batter 6 cells each 2volts per cell
modern bike batteries need to be around 12.8 volts to be healthy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts