2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just had the wonderful pleasure of changing the dipped beam headlight bulbs on my 2014 Civic - if any of you haven't done that yet, it's really something for you to look forward to(!)

I couldn't believe how impossible it was - took me several hours and I seriously now need a new pair of hands.

My hands are absolutely killing and I can barely type - they are totally swollen and bruised. At one stage I was about to just smash the entire headlight cluster to pieces as I couldn't take any more. Several pairs of gloves were totally destroyed in the process of just changing a bulb and my fingertips feel as if they've been crushed by a sledgehammer.

Whoever designed the access to these lights should seriously be slapped across the face [smilie=sadtard.gif]

I even used a tiny camera and made my own miniature tools to assist me and it was still impossible.

If the bulb blows in future, there's no way in hell I'm going through any of that again - I've never seen such ludicrous access to something as basic as a headlight bulb before. The nearside headlight seems to have been an after-thought by Honda.

When I eventually got the nearside bulb out I found that it was in absolutely terrible condition and had clearly never been changed. It became obvious that the reason it had never been changed was because no-one had ever managed to get this far before(!).

Even the plastic cover wouldn't budge and felt as if it had been superglued in place. The wire connector on the back of the light was as if it had been welded on. I had to use huge amounts of brute force to pull it off and had no space to move - the entire light cluster almost broke just getting this bulb out.

Trying to push the metal clip back on was also beyond a joke - it was unbelievably impossible with the lack of space.

They somehow seem to have ommited in the manual that you will need several pairs of gloves and one tenacious circus trained midget (with disposable hands!) to change the lightbulbs [smilie=sadtard.gif]

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
There is an easier way to change the bulbs....

... pay someone else to do it!

Seriously though, my previous 8G car needed the HID bulbs changed and my mechanic friend could not figure out how to get access to it so I ended up taking it to Honda dealer to change. I am sure there must be a trick to it, they just don't tell you what it is.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I didn't find it that much of an ordeal lol. I'll admit not the easiest of things to do. It's the locking of the clip I find most difficult. In a confined space like this, Honda could have used an easier clip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts