2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much petrol do you have to put in to make the gauge work???? I've just put a fiver in my hire car while mine is in getting fixed and nothing happened to the gauge!! Still showing 2 miles to go??!!

Anyone have any ideas??

J :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had the same thing with the test car I took out - put £5 of Diesel in it, and the gauge didn't budge, nor the computer change - still got the 20 miles i needed from it though

Didn't I see another post on here with someone saying they'd filled their civic up and the dial didn't move???

·
Definately Female!
2,967 Posts
I had two courtesy cars and both did that, a Jazz and a Civic, the Civic I eneded up putting 4 x £5 in to try to make the needle move and it didnt, I think the computer had to be re-set.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Topcat said:
I had two courtesy cars and both did that, a Jazz and a Civic, the Civic I eneded up putting 4 x £5 in to try to make the needle move and it didnt, I think the computer had to be re-set.
Thing is, the petrol/diesel isnt going anywhere other than the tank, so I wouldnt worry :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just goin to have to keep my fingers crossed that my maths keeps me the right side of empty!! :D

J :D

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
No miles left and at least a gallon in my tank!

I know its not good practice running your tank down to almost empty but it has happened to me at least 3 times - as soon as the computer tells me I'm down to a couple of miles or even zero - I've fuelled up (Its never run out)

Putting the spare gallon in has made no difference at all and I have driven the 5 miles or so home with it reading zero all the way. It only changes when I put a lot more in (usually a full tank).

Strange and one for the dealer when it goes in.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Honda's have always been keen on fuel lights, had en exec 1.6 coming to Swansea from London and the fuel light came on at Newport. Did sixty miles in total with the light on.

They seem to go forever

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Yes but when you put fuel back in surely it should recalculate - as does my SEAT (very acurately). I have also noticed that regardless of how I drive the average mpg doesn't seem to change (again unlike my beloved bus!!!). It must be sampling over a large period/volume - but that wouldn't be an average of the current fill or journey!

If I drive hard and back off for some time it never improves either the average mpg or the projected miles - they stay the same!

Does it work differently to what I'm expecting? Have I set it wrong - I'm using trip A

:?:

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Never noticed as I always fill the tank, the gauge always seems a bit slow so I'd expect it is damped to stop it showing incorrectly on hills. In such a case I'd also expect it to read something after some time had passed and the gauge had settled.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know if this would work - but you know when you hold the i button there is an option to reset after refill - or something similar - maybe that would make the computer look again at the amount of fuel in the tank??? I've got a full tank at the mo so can't check tho.

J :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had to put six pounds worth in once (no company fuel card, not putting any more in etc!!) and that made the gauge change.

I know that in the EX models there is a function on the computer that will auto reset when you fuel the car, but I think its only on a full tank.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Four litres in my last courtesy car didn't reset the gauge. The car was being taken back to the dealer by one of their drivers, he didn't seem to worried about 45 miles with it showing 23 miles to go. Apparently a known problem.

jme1978's fiver also didn't.

Martin got a recalibration with six pounds worth, so just over six litres.

So it looks like it needs between 5 and 6 litres to reset the reading. Can anyone narrow it down further. Try it with your next courtesy car when you get the car serviced or HFT / rear windscreen / shockers / rubbing headlights etc. fixed.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
basegreen said:
I never put the petrol back in the loaners I have.

:)
Don't think I ever have, why should you when it is already costing you time/money/fuel to take your own car to them in the first place...

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
I must be one of (or perhaps the only) the unlucky ones - They always seem to just have enough fuel in to stutter to the nearest service station :cry: :cry:

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
I got down to '7 miles to go' today after a run to Port Talbot.
Then squeezed 47 litres into the tank (as in gush gush gush, click, squeeze in some more, click, few more drops, click, dribble a bit more in.... no more will fit)

So I was at best 3 litres short of running out - about 25 - 30 miles *

So from this completly un-scientific accidental experiment, I'm guessing that 15-20 miles after reading zero, you're running on fumes.

Which is obviously NOT a good thing, unless
a) you don't mind coming to a halt after 10 miles, cos you're going up a hill
b) you are made of money, or like the idea of stripping down the fuel injectors yourself
c) you can come up a with a good reason why your better half should be the one to walk 3 miles to the nearest petrol station to buy 5 litres of fuel in one of those plastic tanks...
:wink:

* calcs based on the diesel - no idea what you peeps running round in petrol drinkers will get for that last few litres - 5 or 6 miles ? :wink:

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
TTDegs said:
So from this completly un-scientific accidental experiment, I'm guessing that 15-20 miles after reading zero, you're running on fumes.
In the petrol I've hit 0miles to go before and each time I've got exactly 45 litres in the tank, and I'm sure somebody mentioned that before that 0 is 5 litres left.

I've also driven about 25miles with it reading 0 and got to the petrol station fine.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
generationgav said:
I've also driven about 25miles with it reading 0 and got to the petrol station fine.
:shock:

I'm a fill-up-with-a-bit-in-hand kind of person. At 20 miles I'm starting to twitch. Guess this comes from my work, where getting low on fuel is not really an option.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Pottsy said:
I'm a fill-up-with-a-bit-in-hand kind of person. At 20 miles I'm starting to twitch. Guess this comes from my work, where getting low on fuel is not really an option.
First I was on the motorway and knew where the petrol station was I went too, but didn't know of any others and didn't want to go searching.
Also I knew that everytime I filled up I only ever got 45 litres in so there must be 5 litres spare (OK well I hoped this)
I did drive as economically as possible, prob only used about 1.5 litres if that, so there's at least that much spare in the tank!

But I guess in your work, nipping out to get one of them plastic cans with 5 litres in isn't too much of an option.

·
Registered
20 Posts
TTDegs said:
I got down to '7 miles to go' today after a run to Port Talbot.
Then squeezed 47 litres into the tank (as in gush gush gush, click, squeeze in some more, click, few more drops, click, dribble a bit more in.... no more will fit)
:D You're not trying hard enough! How about 51 litres of diesel to get the level to where I could see it in the filler neck?? :shock:

Mind you I had done over 40 miles with the fuel light on!

Glen

1 - 20 of 57 Posts