2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Glad he even mentioned to check the bolts on the front calipers were torqued.
Noticed he missed some grease on one of the tabs for a front pad - being picky here!!
Loved the boot on the wheel, initially.

Noticed there's no mention of torquing the wheel nuts - just the impact wrench - OK!!
I agree the lock nuts are a little fiddly, but if they deter would-be thieves then they work.

I suppose this is what happens when you leave your pride and joy to someone else, and you're obviously not watching - maybe I'm too green on own-car wrenching!

Informative just the same.
Al.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
He also owns an FK8 and that's been available in America since around June I believe, so 3 months before us. Standard model much longer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Checking the video, good information. But I would also have look at the caliper slide pins at the same time. Sorry to see that Honda is using the same poor brake caliper as my son's old Mazda 6 from 2008. I have been working with those brakes a lot. So I know what will happen. Last time it took me several hours just to get the slide pins out.
I assume that the slide pins are still ordinary galvanized iron that will rust! I would never change brake pads, without taking out the slide pins, clean them (from rust) and check that it is no rust in the slide pin holes. After that, fill the hole with maximum amount of slide pin special grease, and they will hopefully not rust within the next year. Because if they rust, it is a hell to get the pins out.
Maybe this is a bigger problem in salty Swedish winter roads, but if I compare to Volvo, they use stainless steel pins. It is a reason for that.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
My 9g tourer used to eat the rear pads, they lasted about 15,000 miles, then i thought i did use the cruise control hell of a lot, and that was the problem, apparently when using cruise control the rear brakes are applied to keep the car at a steady required speed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Fidsey, I just wan't to inform you that the cruise control can not apply any brakes. It has no affect to brake wear.

·
Super Moderator
3,348 Posts
Fidsey, I just wan't to inform you that the cruise control can not apply any brakes. It has no affect to brake wear.
That's wrong on the UK 10G.
It has ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) which maintains a set distance from the car in front. If the car in front slows down, the ACC brakes your car to maintain the distance (actually following time). On the auto, it has Slow Speed Follow which will brake the car to a standstill and get it going again when the car in front pulls away.
You cannot turn OFF the ACC so that you have a 'normal' cruise control.

The Collision Mitigation Braking (CMB) and the Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) features will also brake the car as will the Stability Control.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts