2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

801 - 820 of 847 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Officially given up on this. Tried everything (WD40 / Shock & unlock etc) but the bolts won't budge - 6 of them (except for the dipstick one). Local dealer says they don't do cleaning only replacements and local garages are pretty expensive (90-180). Good luck to everyone else.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #802
All 6? Strange. If the bolt heads are undamaged then a garage will remove them for sure. Or, if youre passing this way I can help but up to my ears at the mo so cant do full clean for you.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I bought the kit to clean the EGR valve in January, not long after I bought my 08 2.2 but never got round to doing it.

Just recently the car has started hesitating slightly on part throttle in higher gears and then last Friday under hard acceleration (whilst overtaking a car going up a long hill!) the engine management light came on and the car went into limp mode. This prompted me to do the EGR valve clean last Sunday. Like many others mine was 70-80% blocked. Stripped, cleaned out and back on within an hour.

Test run proved this has stopped the hesitant running on part throttle and the car was no longer in limp mode. The engine management light stayed on during my journeys on Monday and Tuesday morning and then went out whilst driving home Tuesday night. Car is running nicely :)

Thanks to the original author of this thread, very useful indeed.

Reactions: scaramanga

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm trying this today. My car has been a bit hesitant especially in low revs in first/second/third gear for a long time but I had adapted my style. Lately though it has been behaving very oddly. It will refuse to go over 1.5k revs when I try to pull away, which is of course very embarrassing and potentially dangerous since it loves happening at junctions/roundabouts.

The first time it happened it scared me witless as I was joining the M25 on a busy roundabout - I limped down the ramp and into the hard shoulder and screwed around shutting off / starting the engine, revving, slamming the pedals, twitching the pedals gently, everything really until it kinda just started working again - then I drove to work at about 50 in the inside lane the whole way trying desperately not to stop anywhere. It didn't happen again for about 3 weeks so I thought it must have been an isolated incident. Then it happened again, and again... and again......

Now I'm kinda used to it, some days it happens more than once, and I have a fix to cope with it. if I push the clutch in or go into neutral and slam the accelerator to the floor, the revs slowly climb up to abote 2.5/3k (takes around 2/3 seconds but seems like an eternity) and then suddenly they zoom up normally and everything is fine again. It feels like I'm sort of forcing something through somewhere, or forcing something to open. Now I always blip the accelerator before any moving away to check if it's actually going to work. My fuel economy has tanked and of course I am aware I need to address the problem!

I'm hoping this EGR clean is going to help. It seems from other posts and other threads like it might be the root cause of my problem.

Thanks to immelman for the great instructions and pictures. I made them into a printable PDF so I can take them out into the freezing cold with me. I'm not allowed to share the link yet but I will when I have a few more posts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking at doing this soon but while I have some parts off I'd like to remove the rust from them and coat them in something to prevent rust in future.
Any recommendations on what to use here?
Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Immelman...you're the MAN!!!
Just did mine yesterday (photos at the end) as the car was suffering from the same hesitation around 1500rpm. This is now resolved with a much smoother acceleration at low revs and then the turbo kicks in for real.
Out of curiosity at what rev do you get/feel a proper turbo boost? I am coming from a focus 1.6tdci where it seemed to be much earlier but obviously just not as hard a boost.
Either way the valve was clogged up. The car has 130k (just got it a month ago) and i am not sure whether it was done before. The how to was great. It takes 30mins to take the unit off (i had no bolt/nut removal issue at all) and put it back on but, i went OCD on the cleaning and was at it for almost an hour. The hardest bit is the inlet manifold itself as one needs to be careful not to dislodge (and lose) anything big in there.

Now waiting for another nice sunny day do to the service (4 usual filters). I've read the horror stories about the diesel filter but, hopefully it'll be alright.

Happy days ^_^

Tried to attached a bunch of pictures but, not enough posts yet
maybe later...

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Out of curiosity at what rev do you get/feel a proper turbo boost?
In mine it feels like it really starts to pick up from just under 2.5k RPM.

I've read the horror stories about the diesel filter but, hopefully it'll be alright.
I tried replacing the filter myself. When I finally managed to get everything out and looked at where it was I thought bugger this and got a garage to do it for me.:grin2:

They mentioned that it took them ages to get the car primed with diesel and it was one hell of a job!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am going to do mine on Wednesday, fingers crossed for getting a bit warmer outside as I'm not looking forward to get my frozen knuckles smashed - it hurts even more ? I got my gasket kit form hendy Honda in Southampton, price the same as Cox + delivery however it was ready for collection very next day. Will post the pictures and hopefully performance improvement report

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have done mine today, was pretty bad but no difficulties undoing the bolts whatsoever. Mileage 122k. I did only short trip afterwards in the town and couldn't see much difference in performance yet.

I can't see the option to post the pictures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice clean for today

At 120k I knew it would need doing and it certainly did.

Those first two bolts were a b-tard to get enough leverage on but they finally gave.

Didn't go mad on cleaning the inlet as it wasn't too bad inside.

Thanks for the great guide, gave me enough confidence to have a go.

Tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm trying this today. My car has been a bit hesitant especially in low revs in first/second/third gear for a long time but I had adapted my style. Lately though it has been behaving very oddly. It will refuse to go over 1.5k revs when I try to pull away, which is of course very embarrassing and potentially dangerous since it loves happening at junctions/roundabouts.

The first time it happened it scared me witless as I was joining the M25 on a busy roundabout - I limped down the ramp and into the hard shoulder and screwed around shutting off / starting the engine, revving, slamming the pedals, twitching the pedals gently, everything really until it kinda just started working again - then I drove to work at about 50 in the inside lane the whole way trying desperately not to stop anywhere. It didn't happen again for about 3 weeks so I thought it must have been an isolated incident. Then it happened again, and again... and again......

Now I'm kinda used to it, some days it happens more than once, and I have a fix to cope with it. if I push the clutch in or go into neutral and slam the accelerator to the floor, the revs slowly climb up to abote 2.5/3k (takes around 2/3 seconds but seems like an eternity) and then suddenly they zoom up normally and everything is fine again. It feels like I'm sort of forcing something through somewhere, or forcing something to open. Now I always blip the accelerator before any moving away to check if it's actually going to work. My fuel economy has tanked and of course I am aware I need to address the problem!

I'm hoping this EGR clean is going to help. It seems from other posts and other threads like it might be the root cause of my problem.

Thanks to immelman for the great instructions and pictures. I made them into a printable PDF so I can take them out into the freezing cold with me. I'm not allowed to share the link yet but I will when I have a few more posts.
I keep forgetting to come back and say this -- this procedure completely solved my problems.
No more hesitation, no more weird pseudo limp mode.

It was very very full of crap. I used a lot of carb cleaner from Toolstation it was cheap; I think petrol would be just as good (in fact I suspect it basically is petrol).

I almost rounded one nut off trying to get the thing out but managed in the end. Just coat the buggers in your favourite oil / grease / wd40 / gt85 / durex strawberry flavour whatever you can find. Eventually it'll come off. I left mine soaking in wd40, several applications, plus ran the engine for 10 minutes, and finally the last one gave way. I used an extension bar and sneaked in through the front so I could lean on it to get a bit more purchase. I bought the replacement 'seals' but really I don't think I needed to.

So thanks OP for a great guide! Pictures were super helpful!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Will be undertaking this at the weekend, but I need to buy some heftier wrenches to do this as I only just started building my toolbox. Is it entirely necessary to use a 3/4 instead of a 1/2 drive? Could anyone provide some insight on the tools they used to get the EGR off?

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,308 Posts
Will be undertaking this at the weekend, but I need to buy some heftier wrenches to do this as I only just started building my toolbox. Is it entirely necessary to use a 3/4 instead of a 1/2 drive? Could anyone provide some insight on the tools they used to get the EGR off?
I don't see why not to use a 1/2 instead of 3/4. Can't remember what I used as it was a few year ago. Be prepared for some scraped knuckles though and be careful when you remove it that you don't push any of that crap into the cylinder head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I cleaned mine out today, and oh nelly... It must have been almost 80% blocked! 180k and I doubt it had been done before. This was one of my first jobs on a car beyond doing an oil change, and I must say it was fantastic for getting into things - very easy to do, and a good confidence boost for a newbie like me.

To add something back to the forums, I've also filmed the whole process! It is even easier than it sounds on paper, so this should make it even easier for anyone considering doing this. I'll cut a video together this week covering the tools needed, EGR removal, the cleaning process (including the inlet manifold) and re-attachment.

:grin2:

801 - 820 of 847 Posts