2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This how to will allow you to connect a composite video source (DVD Player, Ipod video out, games consoles, Car PC and DIY reversing camera’s) to the built in navigation system This achieved by using the video in connector of the reversing camera accessory socket on all 3/5 door Civic’s with Sat Nav!

NB Composite video sources normally have a yellow video out RCA plug/socket…

av leads.jpg

Your video source needs to be able to switch to NTSC. (NTSC fits the Navigation Systems screen better than PAL). Normally found in a set up screen like this….

setup.jpg

There are several threads on Civinfo with information regarding the connection of a video source to the Navigation System. (Links at end of post for reference).

In this How To, I have tried to combine the info into one simple guide.

This guide is aimed specifically at vehicles without the factory reversing camera. If you have a Honda reversing camera, see Jupido’s easy and comprehensive guide here.

Ok let’s get started…..

The first thing to do is get to the back of the Navigation Unit, this will take some time (Approx 1 hr 30 mins) and looks very daunting! Trust me, it’s easier than it looks, just take your time and see how it all goes back together.

Use this guide to dis-assemble the dash: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/79053-post1.html

I also suggest you consider doing the 'Switch on reversing cam manually' mod at the same time; this will allow you to switch on your video source whilst driving forward and will save stripping the dash down again later!

Once the Navigation is removed and you can see the back of it, you will see the green camera connector (Top left). The diagram below shows the pin outs for the socket:

Pinout Diag.jpg

We are only interested in pins 2,4,5 and 7.

Pins 2 and 7 are connected together, this ‘fools’ the navigation unit into thinking a reversing camera is fitted.

Pins 4 and 5 are the video part.

How you connect to the socket is up to you.

In my first install I connected directly to the pins of the navigation unit using a cut down ATX power supply cable (the metal connectors inside the plug on the ends of the cable fit the pins in the Navigation unit perfectly):

cable1.jpg

Before.jpg

The cable colours corresponding pins where as follows:

Pin 1 Red Vcc 7v
Pin 2 Brown GND (Connect to Pin 7 Blue)
Pin 3 Not used Blank
Pin 4 Orange Video GND (White on Honda Kit)
Pin 5 Yellow Video + (NTSC Composite)
Pin 6 Black Shield (Not used - only for some Honda/Acura models)
Pin 7 Blue Camera detect (Needs to be connected to GND)

I know you can't see it, but my blue and brown wires are joined. I connected the RED to pin 1 as I planned to use the 7v to power a camera, but scrapped that idea.

This method is OK, but I decided to go for a more secure connection and used Gray 52’s method. This method uses a 7 pin 100kk Molex plug and pins (RS part numbers 296-4990 and 467-598 - you get 5 plugs, and 100 pins, about £8 in total.)

After.jpg

The last thing to do is connect a socket or plug to the Video + and Video GND wires. The easiest way is to connect a phono socket like this one from Maplin...

phono plug.jpg

(Remember Video + connects to the central pin and video GND connects to the outer ring)

or you can do something more elaborate like Gray 52 here….

gray rca.jpg

For further information, have a look at these threads….

A solution to connect DVD-Players and Game consoles to the Navigation Screen

[HOW TO] Manually switch on the Reversing Camera

Another aftermarket RV camera installation.

and for a bit of background re composite video in and wiring diagrams...

Rearview Camera.... pdf

For the audio in look here http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php/Connecting_an_MP3_player

Thanks to Gray52, Jupido, Myago, PCR and Stef for their work on this.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
bog, what camera did you get in the end, and have you got it fitted? im well please with mine, dont know how i managed without it.

Reactions: Nashking

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI,
Great information there, I will have to try that when i get a spare morning. but that obviously just covers the video signal.

what is the best way to get the sound on there aswell??

Cheers

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I've ordered the parts to make a cable or two :)

Reactions: darrellpope

·
Registered
100 Posts
Quick question guys I'm going to install the connects2 aux in, so thought I may as well do the video input while I'm at it :), I don't have a reversing camera or require one, so I just need to put a switch across pin 2 (Brown GND) and pin 7 (Cam Detect) yeah?

and Mr gray52 where did you get the Aux sockets (Phono and 3.5mm stereo) from? with the colored rings etc...

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
i got the rca and 3.5 mm phono bits from maplin. i also have some plugs which will fit into the back of the nav unit. if you want to watch a video without putting it into reverse then you will need to fit diodes etc and put a 12v input via a switch, if you are going to this much trouble then i would run a lead for a camera to fit at a later date, im glad i need as within 2 weeks i was fitting a camera.

·
Registered
100 Posts
definitely wont be fitting a camera, so if i was to just put a 12v input through a switch then the reverse lights would be on unless i use the DTDP switch?

just out of curiosity where have you guys fitted the in-line fuse from the 12v lighter feed because surely if it popped you'd want easy access to it

·
Registered
46 Posts
need help guys im in the uk and ive got the same plug but its upside down so wonder what way round i shoud connect the cables and even when i do it doesnt switch over to camera mode can anyone help?

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
Did you put a diode in to fool the satnav and to stop your reverse lights coming on when you switch it over to use as a monitor?

·
Registered
46 Posts
at the moment i have it at my house with a 12v supply so im just trying to get it to work at home before i install it i dont have a reversing camera so not going that route does the reverse signal on the nav have to be in reverse before it can flick over to monitor?

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
you have to fool the nav, hence the diode and an a 12v input via another switch. if you are not using this it will only work when reverse is selected. i use the reverse to switch it to check my video source will be displayed as required. what are you using for the sound?

·
Registered
46 Posts
am gunna be using a connects 2 box inout via aux button
so basicly wire all the cables into the plug as discribed and put a 12v up the reverse signal so when i earth the connection it should flick over right?

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
you need to check out the tsx forum. this is an american site and i used this for all my info etc.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Bog - did you connect your camera to the 7v pin1 source or a 12v reverse light?
If I use 12v reverse light do I need to "fool" the pin1?

·
Registered
43 Posts
So do the above instructions allow you to view the composite source when reverse ins engaged?

Meaning the headunit knows when the cars in reverse?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts