2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last month I encountered a situation where the car would not start. I got it jump started with a short drive the health status on the Yusra battery became alot more green.

I also removed the BT module as I know this could be the root cause.

Few weeks back I hard wired a Kenwood dash cam and after installing the next day I monitored the battery health and noticed a drop in health so I unplugged the fuse tap and remove the dash cam worried that car might die again.

Recently A/C stopped blowing cold air so I tried to remove the A/C relay but was too stiff to unplug and instead gave it a tap. The clutch were spinning but later I realised there was no gas.

Now with the BT module unplugged and dash cam removed, could anyone shed any other possible cause for the drain.

Please help. Many thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
Check the interior lights.
It is possible that although the switch might be "off" the circuit remains live, check with multimeter across the terminals.
Start with the roof light and map lights and then move to the doors & boot if they are okay.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say roof lights etc do you mean on each the fuses in the interior fuse box?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
HFT module seems to be the most likely cause. easily diagnosed by unplugging it.
if not that, then i'd start with getting an ammeter on your battery connection. you'll probably want the hier amp level on your avo/multimeter (15amp usually) as the initial surge required for all the ECU's might pop your meter's fuse. Then start pulling fuses to eliminate what the big consumers are.
alternatively if the fuses have back-probe connections (some do, some dont):
probably a good one to follow. Chrisfix and EricTheCarGuy channels also pretty useful and cover diagnosing parasitic draws

·
4,176 Posts
Not meaning to be rude, but your replies in this and the previous thread that you were talking in sort of indicates that tracking this problem down seems to be a little above your pay grade.
I'm with scaramanger in suspecting that your battery is shot regardless of what your little green thingy tells you.
If you feel up to it,
1. Take the ignition key out and turn off everything electrical that you can, including shutting the doors so the interior light is not on.
2. Remove the earth connection from the battery
3. Set your ammeter to its highest range
4. Connect the ammeter between the battery negative and the earth lead removed at step 2.
5. Gradually reduce the range on the meter until a 'sensible' reading is showing.
6. Wait 10 mins with the meter connected.
7. Read the quiescent current on the meter.
8. Report back here with the reading.

That is the second time I have asked you to do that. You totally ignored it the first time.:eek: If you don't want to bother, then get an auto electrician to have a look at it. 🤣

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not meaning to be rude, but your replies in this and the previous thread that you were talking in sort of indicates that tracking this problem down seems to be a little above your pay grade.
I'm with scaramanger in suspecting that your battery is shot regardless of what your little green thingy tells you.
If you feel up to it,
1. Take the ignition key out and turn off everything electrical that you can, including shutting the doors so the interior light is not on.
2. Remove the earth connection from the battery
3. Set your ammeter to its highest range
4. Connect the ammeter between the battery negative and the earth lead removed at step 2.
5. Gradually reduce the range on the meter until a 'sensible' reading is showing.
6. Wait 10 mins with the meter connected.
7. Read the quiescent current on the meter.
8. Report back here with the reading.

That is the second time I have asked you to do that. You totally ignored it the first time.:eek: If you don't want to bother, then get an auto electrician to have a look at it. 🤣
Yes you are right, slightly above my skills set however I have not forgotten. Your steps are clear so will give this a go.
I only created another thread as I genuinely think this is slightly different issue as different measures are taken.

Appreciate your repeat request and will get back to you on this.

Cheers.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@M8TJT could you clarify step 4.

Do you mean connect one probe from the multimeter to the negative terminal on the battery and the other probe to the earth lead?

·
4,176 Posts
Yes. Exactly that. With the earth lead disconnected from the battery. And for 100% accuracy, the red lead of the meter goes to the battery negative and the black lead of the meter goes to the earth cable.

What we are trying to do is measure the standing current with everything switched off. This should be a very low milli-Amp reading.
If it is in the high milli-Amp or Amp range, then there is a discharge on your battery. If this reading is 'high enough' to indicate a problem, then we will have to find out what is causing it. Chercking every fuse at a time is ATM a hiding to nothing approach until you know deffo whether there is a current problem or not.
If it reads close to zero as mentioned above, then your battery is likely sha**ed.

And it's not really a different problem. The problem is that your battery goes flat for no apparent reason :eek:and you are trying to find out why.:D

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for getting back to me swifty.

I followed your instructions and reading is 0.00 - guess this means I need a new battery? Photo attached.

I purchased the battery from buyanycarpart eBay Jan 2020 and it comes with 4year warranty. Is this enough to claim for a new battery under warranty?

Thanks for all your help so far!
MVIMG_20200529_181449.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
4,176 Posts
Just to double check the meter. (Fred the wheeltapper. Google it)
With the meter set to its highest range, open the door so that the interior light comes on. You should then get a reading. If you don't it is possible that the fuse in your meter has blown.

I'm outa here 'till the 'morrow. TV beckons.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to double check the meter. (Fred the wheeltapper. Google it)
With the meter set to its highest range, open the door so that the interior light comes on. You should then get a reading. If you don't it is possible that the fuse in your meter has blown.
Yes I did that. So whilst everything was connected I opened a door, interior lights and side lights came on and the reading was around 3.23

·
4,176 Posts
Meter OK then.
So there is no parasitic drain. Nothing is drawing current when it shouldn't be.
What is the battery voltage now and what is it with the engine running on fast tick over?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Meter OK then.
So there is no parasitic drain. Nothing is drawing current when it shouldn't be.
What is the battery voltage now and what is it with the engine running on fast tick over?
Voltage when off is 12.62
Voltage when running is 14.50
Voltage lowest drop during ignition start is 10.52

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds OK to me. Then I'm fresh out of ideas. You haven't left the lights on or something as simple as that have you?
I have not.

Interior lights generally on the middle but now switched off. I always keep my exterior lights on OFF and only turn them on when needed never left on Auto.
I've also unplugged the usb port which is plugged into the cig lighter.

Did little driving this morning and the indicator on the battery health is 80% which before settling off was around 10% green.

Do you reckon it's worth claiming for a new battery under the warranty?
I purchased it from buyanycarpart from eBay on 1st Jan.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts