41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
if there is a parasite drain
its best to find the fault
if there is a short and it gets worse there is a slight chance its a fire risk
In not sure there is a parasite issue as the test carried out instructed by @M8TJT shows reading of 0.00

The videos on YouTube generally starts of showing reading of greater than 0.02 would indicate a parasite issue and as fuses are pulled it would drop. Whereas in my case I start of at 0.00.

In two minds whether to charge the battery using a trickle charger or replacing it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
4,176 Posts
Did it go from 70% to 10% WHILST YOU WERE DRIVING? If so, this suggests that there is something very wrong with the charging circuitry.
What is this thing that ypu are getting the readings off anyway. (pic?)

So it's doing exactly the same thing with the new battery as it was doing with the old one. That would seem to rule out the battery as being the cause. So you will be wasting even more money going down the second battery replacement route.
It's now very, very unlikely to be a battery fault, and trickle charging it will not solve the underlying problem.
Have you checked the serpentine belt tension?

As you seem to be using the well known and very expensive method of fault finding by replacement rather than getting an auto electrician to find out what's actually wrong with it, i think the the next thing to try would be the alternator unless anyone has any cheaper ideas.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Did it go from 70% to 10% WHILST YOU WERE DRIVING? If so, this suggests that there is something very wrong with the charging circuitry.
What is this thing that ypu are getting the readings off anyway. (pic?)

So it's doing exactly the same thing with the new battery as it was doing with the old one. That would seem to rule out the battery as being the cause. So you will be wasting even more money going down the second battery replacement route.
It's now very, very unlikely to be a battery fault, and trickle charging it will not solve the underlying problem.
Have you checked the serpentine belt tension?

As you seem to be using the well known and very expensive method of fault finding by replacement rather than getting an auto electrician to find out what's actually wrong with it, i think the the next thing to try would be the alternator unless anyone has any cheaper ideas.
Yes it went from 70% to 10% after a drive. I know for sure because I checked before and after return journey.
I've now reconnected the BT module as this is not the primary cause.

After the visit from Halfords this morning the health had increased guessing by further 10%, so total health is ~20%

I can't actually understand what the issue could be. I'm confident enough to do a parasite test however my current readings don't match with the video guides.

Looks like I need to take it to a professional mechanical who can diagnose the issue and find the actual root cause.

·
Super Moderator
2,198 Posts
it sounds very much like a battery issue or a random alternator issue
you have the typical fault that Is the reason I don't trust battery testers
ive had this before with a battery and it tested good than all of a sudden died completely

·
4,176 Posts
But tandbir17 has had two different batteries with the same problem.
@tanbir17 Please Please enlighten me about this 'condition' thingy you keep on about. How do you know it's (say) 70%?
The only green thingy that I have come across is one that suggests the battery is fully charged by looking int a little round window on top and that certainly doesn't give a percentage.

Have you chanced upon THIS link on battery testing?

You could invest in one of THESE to keep your eye on the battery voltage in real time.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
But tandbir17 has had two different batteries with the same problem.
@tanbir17 Please Please enlighten me about this 'condition' thingy you keep on about. How do you know it's (say) 70%?
The only green thingy that I have come across is one that suggests the battery is fully charged by looking int a little round window on top and that certainly doesn't give a percentage.

Have you chanced upon THIS link on battery testing?

You could invest in one of THESE to keep your eye on the battery voltage in real time.
@M8TJT just to confirm I have only one battery.
Regarding the percentage, like I mentioned it's an estimate by looking through the clear plastic hole. It's clear enough to guess when it's 0%, 50% or 100% by seeing how much of the circle is either green/black.

Thanks for the link I'll have a read through.

·
4,176 Posts
Oh jeez, those hole in the top of the battery things tell you if the battery is charged, (green) not fully charged or flat (red). You are reading far far too much into something that is meant as a really rough indication of battery health. What it actually does is measure the specific gravity of the electrolyte, which gives an indication of charge, and is not an indication of capacity of cold crank current, which are the important parameters which cannot be established without proper test kit.

Sorry about the number of batteries, but you had one before Jan1 and a new one on Jan 1? I make that two.
Why did you buy the new battery on Jan 1 (post #20) was it because your old one went flat?
And I'll ask once more, is your battery still going flat so that the car won't start, ignoring the 'hole' in which you are putting far too much reliance.

Just drive the car and stop worrying about the battery, and most importantly, stop looking into the bloody hole.:love: (unless the battery goes non starting flat again.)

P.S. The drop in the 'reading' from 70 to 10 was probably the temperature increasing thus lowering the SG of the electrolyte slightly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a FK3 ES (without bluetooth module - which is a known battery drain) and am having issues with a random battery drain. It will go weeks fine. Then park for 3 days and dead!!
I knew the battery was oldish so bought a brand new OEM Honda one from Cox and thought that would be it. Then a month or 2 later the car went dead overnight again, so I recharged the battery and we were good again. I then tried the battery drain test with my trusty (but was really cheap meter Ive had years - and quickly realised the amp circuit test on it did not function at all, I check the fuse and it was blown. Got a replacement fuse in it and it still didn't work so its rubbish meter). Fast forward a few days and I bought myself a flash new meter which works properly on the amp circuit. I have tested it and have 0.018 mA drain with the car locked and alarm on. So should be no problem.

This is what I think is happening. I watched a utube video this morning on a civic and they had A/C problem as well as battery drain. This guy traced it a faulty relay which was holding the A/C clutch engaged all the time, even when the car was off. New relay fixed it. Co-incidence has it, that I too have an A/C problem, it just stopped working last year. I checked the relay at the time and it was working, and the clutch was engaging when A/C was on, it just didnt cool.
Today, I replaced the relay with a new one having checked it worked first, and the a/c clutch is NOT engaging at all.

Could it be that because we have been trying to use the A/C over the last few weeks it occasionally engages the clutch and sticks causing the battery drain?

"Honda TSB SM-10-002-00 Dated 27-03-12

Symptom
The air conditioning compressor magnetic clutch relay fails causing permanent Air Conditioning compressor clutch engagement, pressure loss and battery drain or no Air Conditioning compressor clutch engagement with no Air Conditioning function. "

At the moment, I have reconnected the battery which is at 12.7v and checked if the A/C compressor clutch is engaged which it isn't, so as long as we dont try using the A/C we might be ok....time will tell

·
Registered
14 Posts
It could be that was/is the problem and now I have no pressure in the system, hence the clutch in the compressor wont engage?

·
4,176 Posts
Thanks for that H10ndr./ I wonder if that's tanbir's problem. He hasn't been back for a while, so I suppose his problem has gone away.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thanks for that H10ndr./ I wonder if that's tanbir's problem. He hasn't been back for a while, so I suppose his problem has gone away.
Quick update from me. My issue I think has disappeared.

What I did was used, remover the battery and charged it using a car charger (repair mode was not used). Later went for an hour round trip for park visit. The indicator on the battery rapidly became green. Since then it has always remained green. Happy to report back I am content so far and let's see how it goes.

·
4,176 Posts
Well that's a good result. Like I said before "Just drive the car and stop looking in the hole and worrying yourself sick about the battery" (Until it goes flat again without reason):ROFLMAO::love:

41 - 55 of 55 Posts