2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a new job on Monday that's about 20 miles away, so I'm looking at a round trip of about 40 miles each day, possibly 45 miles including the detour to the child minders. The trip will be about 5 miles around town to drop off my son, then to drop off my wife (including about 5 minutes sat in queues at a roundabout with traffic lights), then about 20 miles on motorway / dual carriage way. Return trip will be without the diversions / traffic lights hopefully.

Currently, my computer is showing about 28 mpg, probably because almost all my driving is short trips about town. I don't know what my actual mileage is as I've never calculated it. Whatever the mpg really is, I need to get driving more efficiently! So, what techniques have people got that I can use to get my consumption to improve? Apart from not pressing the loud pedal as hard, obviously ;).

Thanks,

Dave.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Your in the same boat as me!

I do 21 to the office then to what ever sites so the least miles i cover on a work day is 42... I’d say avoid WOT and drive steady... you dont need to overtake everyone or late braking... just coast to slow down and go through the gears (keeping the revs low ish)

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
So, what techniques have people got that I can use to get my consumption to improve? Apart from not pressing the loud pedal as hard, obviously ;).

Thanks,

Dave.

Plan ahead, early off the throttle, minimal braking, nice and steady back on the throttle. Of course this needs good observation and anticpation skills.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Don't brake.

If you drive as LincsPoacher said then it is possible to average 40MPG IMO however its VERY difficult

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
as said above, anticipate the road ahead as much as possible, gentle acceleration, smooth gear changes and gentle brakes.

However, this is very boring so treat yourself every now and then to a tenners worth of fuel and blast it down the b roads ;)

Remember, its a proven scientific fact that vtec prevents the onset of depression

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Drive like you stole it, your journey will be 5 minutes quicker, 5 minutes more in bed, or a longer shower, a bigger breakfast and a happier feeling all round. Must be worth the £10 fuel you save a week

·
Registered
289 Posts
Drive like you stole it, your journey will be 5 minutes quicker, 5 minutes more in bed, or a longer shower, a bigger breakfast and a happier feeling all round. Must be worth the £10 fuel you save a week
Plus a new set of tyres every 6 months and no driving license :p

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
as said above, anticipate the road ahead as much as possible, gentle acceleration, smooth gear changes and gentle brakes.

However, this is very boring so treat yourself every now and then to a tenners worth of fuel and blast it down the b roads ;)

Remember, its a proven scientific fact that vtec prevents the onset of depression
That's why I'm depressed all the time lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Im getting 58 out of my diesel - 32miles each way to work.

It's quite relaxing to drive steady actually, but you DO have to occasionally blast it!

Shame I don't have cruise control too!

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
I do just over 40 miles a day and my average MPG is usually 44 on the display and 40 real world (1.8 auto). My average is still showing 38 because I used to do 70 but it's on the rise week on week now.

After having read an article about motorway speeds I can confirm that dropping from 70 to 60 increases that part of the journeys mpg by about 10% to 15%.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did look in to swapping the CTR for some sort of diesel, but once I looked at the numbers, I wasn't going to save anything - my fuel costs would be lower, but I'd loose money selling the car and buying something else. I guess I could go for an older car, but I don't want to go older than I have at the moment.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just drive to work and back sensibly and then gun it on the weekends etc and i some how get about 34-35 mpg. Guess the fact i drive one style to work and another style in my own time balances it out. Plus i cant be the only type r driver that enjoys having the window down and cruising at my own leisure and not having to gun it everywhere

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
I just drive to work and back sensibly and then gun it on the weekends etc and i some how get about 34-35 mpg. Guess the fact i drive one style to work and another style in my own time balances it out. Plus i cant be the only type r driver that enjoys having the window down and cruising at my own leisure and not having to gun it everywhere
That's pretty much how I do it too.
Very sedate to and from work then VTEC at the weekend. :)
I find I still really enjoy the car when I'm driving it "slowly".
I find 30MPH in 5th gear on a level surface comes back with about 44-50 realtime MPG.
My current average from 28 mile per day journeys is 36.8MPG.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Its great that your getting the best of both worlds as your saving money but still getting the enjoyment from your car. I've never quite understood why to enjoy a car like the type R that you need to be either in vtec or doing over 100mph, or maybe i just think like an old person lol

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Its great that your getting the best of both worlds as your saving money but still getting the enjoyment from your car. I've never quite understood why to enjoy a car like the type R that you need to be either in vtec or doing over 100mph, or maybe i just think like an old person lol
I think we think alike mate.
A mate of mine asked why I bought the Type R if I wasn't going to race it everywhere.
Don't get me wrong, I love the feeling and the sound of the VTEC, but it's still the fastest car I've ever driven below the 5400RPM switchover point (including the BMW 325 cabriolet I learned to drive in).
So I don't need to race about. I also find it quite satisfying just knowing I'm in a fast car without proving it. :)

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Read the road ahead.

Use cruise control at every available opportunity.

Avoid WOT and hard braking.

Avoid unnecessary braking while cornering.

Avoid driving in too high a gear.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts