2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, yesterday my garage decided to knock my wing mirror of as I was reversing out...terrible I know. Everything on the mirror was intact, hanging there by the wire, however the aluminium pivot post had sheared off. This morning I set to and removed the mirror completely (there is a how-to to remove the mirror on here), 2hrs later a mirror just as good as new (just about!).

Please forgive me for the lack of pictures, I did not expect this to work as well as it did and obviously I had it back togethor before I could see my success, but I have some after photos.

So youve removed the complete mirror assembly from the car and you have two parts, car mount and mirror. Take the back cover off the mirror part to see the broken aluminium post with spring on top and wire feeding throught the middle.

I cut the wires 2" from the connector so that I could seperate the parts, and remove the broken post. Also cutting it in a suitable place so i could either solder the wires togethor and use heat shrink or crudely use a connection block. I did the first option, much neater but time consuming. Please take note which wires go where in case there are duplicate colours! I have a feeling there were two blacks, but i'm colour blind...

So having pulled the wire out and removing the post, keep hold of the spring. I then drilled a 10mm hole below where the post broke off on the car mount part, on a flat area. You may be able to judge for yourself where to drill it if you hold the parts togethor and swivel, somewhere where the wire wont interfere when being swiveled.

I then found a 8mm set screw (or bolt might do), almost 100mm long, I didnt take note but you can cut it shorter if need be. Using an 8mm washer on top of a M10 washer I fed it through the underside of the car mount and out where the post shouldve been. Then I fed the wire through the drilled hole and put the mirror into position. I Put the spring on next followed by a 12mm, 10mm and 8mm washers. A 8mm penny washer would've been better. Then a 8mm lock nut. Using some sockets on extentions, tighten it up until the swivel resistance is like an origional mirror. You'll probably find the mirror isnt as stable during swivelling but hardly an issue!

I cant garuntee your set screw will fit as well as mine, all depends where the post breaks off, but i'm sure this will give you an idea whats possible! And save a heap of money! It cost me nothing :cool:

Andrew

·
Registered
1 Posts
It works

Thanks for posting this, I have just carried out the same repair on mine and it cost me only an hour or two in time, the bolts and washers I already had in my garage. Excellent repair

·
Registered
4 Posts
I experienced the joy of having my nearside wing mirror kicked off by some local fool and taped it up - actually, having discovered I didn't need it for my MOT it took a while to get motivated to sort it out properly.
Anyway, this technique worked pretty well! A couple of observations though:

1) Yes, it's a certainty that you have to take off the door card. I managed to get the mirror bolts out without bothering before realising I couldn't otherwise disconnect the cable.

2) You don't have to cut the cable!!! I disconnected it and took the whole assembly in the house to do the rest of the job. Using a very small screwdriver, it's possible to lift the clips off the spade connectors (you also need to flick open the side clamps) and pull each wire out of the block. Take a photo first though ;-) Then - awkward though it is - you can pull the cable back through the newly drilled hole and wire it back up.

3) I didn't remove the post, but just pushed a ** coach bolt (the round head is a nice fit under the snapped bit) through it and then fixed a locking nut over the top. Partly that was because I couldn't get the circlip off, but it worked.

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts