2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my 8th cen civic type s, the radio reception seems to be pretty poor Compared to my previous mini.

I've read a ton of posts that say this can be caused most likely by one of three things:

-Window tint (which I don't have)

-interference from the rear demister. (I do get this, though its not too bad. The interference still occurs when the demister is off just to a lesser degree)

-bad grounding of the antenna.

The thing is I can't find any explanation anywhere of how to actually FIX a bad ground.

Does anyone know how to do this or any posts that explain it?

I can still hear the radio, but as I'm driving the static is quite distracting.

·
i-Vtec
2,233 Posts
Remove the plastic surround on the under side of the tailgate and clean the two connectors you see here. I also removed the amplifier that these two female connectors are connected too just to make sure the bolts arent a ground too. There is supposed to be another ground somewhere, but I couldn't find it, I think it may be under the headlining. Cleaning up those two connectors certainly improved my signal no end.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,081 Posts
Remove the plastic surround on the under side of the tailgate and clean the two connectors you see here. I also removed the amplifier that these two female connectors are connected too just to make sure the bolts arent a ground too. There is supposed to be another ground somewhere, but I couldn't find it, I think it may be under the headlining. Cleaning up those two connectors certainly improved my signal no end.

what is the empty terminal should there be something on there rear demister maybe ?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Any suggestions on the best way to clean them?
You can buy a can of electrical contact cleaner which is a solvent and will remove dirt and light oxidation - places like screwfix will probably sell it or electrical wholesalers. Failing that try a google online. If you have bad oxidation or corrosion, then it may be necessary to use something more powerful such as metal cleaning cream or brasso. I would personally avoid sandpaper or wire wool to avoid reducing the thickness and thus the tightness of the plug / contact.

Other tricks on a cleaned end might be to coat it with a smear of vaseline before putting it back as this will both protect against corrosion and help conductivity. Another alternative is you can buy silver paint (99% real silver not silver coloured!). A thin coat of this should increase conductivity no end. I guess gold plating would be the ultimate, but unless you have a plating machine, which most will not have, then I guess that's not an option for most people.

·
i-Vtec
2,233 Posts
Thank you!!
Will give this a go as soon as i'm home
Going to give this a go in the morning also as the reception on mine drops in and out something chronic at times
Enjoy taking the pastic panel off, its murder. The main 5 plastic poppers are all along the middle, so concentrate on pulling from there.

·
i-Vtec
2,233 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Cheers for the heads up and the drawing Das, didn't get round to doing anything on the car today so will try to crack on with this during the week

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Enjoy taking the pastic panel off, its murder. The main 5 plastic poppers are all along the middle, so concentrate on pulling from there.
I'm having a very hard time getting it off at the moment!
Did you use any tool or anything? Or just force?

I feel like pulling any harder than I already am might break whatever clips are holding it in place :/

How did you do it? Did you pull the top (window-side) first or the bottom (tailgate hinge side) first?
Would you mind posting a pic of where the poppers/clips are?
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So I managed to get the trim off, and I do have all three plugs there. The middle one seems is connected to a shorter ariel in the glass it seems. Not sure what its for

I gave the contacts a clean using WD-40 contact cleaner, though unfortunately it doesn't seem to have helped at all :/

Does anyone know if its possible to install a third party antenna in the 8th gen civic?

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Another update! It seems that actually the issue isn't with the radio antenna itself, but with the car's 12v accessory socket.

I had my dashcam cable routed to the boot and plugged into the socket there, and unplugging it immediately made the issue dissappear!

I've tried the front socket and it seems to be better but still present.

I've tried a different socket to USB adapter from my old tom-tom satnav and that seems to work fine so I'll order a cable and switch to that.

Radio reception is still a bit meh but hugely better than before.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
And the wherewithal to remove the connector from the glass, replace it when plated and make good the connection to the aerial element.:surprise:
You can gold plate in situ, at least for the spade end's exposed parts. The connector plug would be another matter.

However, it shows short sight by Honda and unnecessary penny pinching by not using plated connectors in the 1st place in an area that would be likely to be exposed to corrosion through condensation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts