2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How To - Fix The Windscreen Cowl Creaking Noise.

Using the idea from the previous posts, I have had a go at fixing the creaking you get from the windscreen when going over bumpy roads. The fix has worked so I here is a simple how to:

There are plastic cowls that rest directly on the glass at the bottom of the windscreen. These cowls move about on the glass when the car body flexes over bumpy roads and make the creaking noise. Grit and dirt gets trapped between the glass and the plastic making the noise worse.

When you lift up the cowl with a small screwdriver you will be able to see the scratches on the glass – this is the bit that can be isolated by sticking PVC tape to the glass. The fix is invisible once the excess tape is trimmed off with a Stanley knife.

Some thin stick on rubber spacers @ 1mm thick at 150mm intervals also lifts the cowl off the glass (orange rectangles on pics).

This fixed one of the main sources of creaking noises from my car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have now used the 1mm rubber tape the full width of the windscreen cowl. The PVC tape was starting to come off so I needed something better. This time I took the whole cowl off to do a better job.

The cowl actually does have some felt on it as standard, but it is recessed so that it doesnt do a lot of good. The plastic still scrapes on the windscreen. The new 1mm rubber tape completely separates the cowl from the glass.

I have yet to drive the car to see if it is an improvement.

This is the tape I have used (cost @ £5 from halfords for 4m - ie plenty spare):
Attached Images

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
What sort of a job is it to remove the windscreen cowl, Munro?

I had thought it would be better to remove it to apply the tape, but I haven't though on to have a look to see what is involved in its removal.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cowl is very easy to take off and put back. The whole job takes @ 40 mins.

1 You peel off the bonnet seal (white arrow). Its like the door seal - easy to peel off and put back.

2 Prize out the 3 push fasteners (green arrows)

3 There are also other push fit clips that are not visible - they are attached to the cowl and pull out easily.

4 I didn't remove the cowl completely as there is some sort of cable or washer hose running inside it. You just pull it out far enough to apply the tape.

5 Clean and dry the screen and cowl (the tape instructions suggest using meths), apply the tape to the screen.

6 Put the cowl back (reverse of above)

7 Trim off the excess tape with a stanley knife.

If I was doing the job again it would be made easier by using a non permanent board marker or masking tape to mark the edge of the cowl on the windscreen. This helps stick the rubber tape in the right place. Fortunately there were some scratches on my glass to guide me :rolleyes:.

I hope it works !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to repeat an answer to a question someone sent to me by PM.

The mark 2 version of this how to uses only the 1mm thick duck tape from one side of the windscreen to the other (red box in the first picture below.) ie no spacers etc.

The only visible part of the tape is shown between the green arrows in the second picture. You just trim off any excess sticking out from the edge of the cowl with a stanley knife.

It seems to be working as I no longer hear any loud creaking noises when going over bumpy roads.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've also had problems with windscreen creaks and rattles. They seemed to be worse in cold weather and at one stage even sounded like the screen was going to fall out (bit of an exaggeration, but it really did sound bad).

Anyway, i've now done the fix that Munro suggested using the trim repair tape. The fix took about 1 hour. The only problem I had was that the centre part of the cowl seemed to be stuck to the windscreen, therefore making it difficult to raise the plastic enought to fit the tape in. I'd suggest two pairs of hands, one to raise the plastic and another to apply the tape.

Looking good so far; the fix appears to have worked as i've now gone a full week without a single noise from the windscreen.

Happy driving again!!:p

Thanks Munro!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad it worked for you as well Jabba1980 - the loud creak noise sounded terrible.

It is worth opening the bonnet and removing the centre cowl to do the work. Here's the diagram from the manual, with arrows similar to the photos.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
I did it more brutally - with clear silicone instead of tape, and without removing the cowl (just rested it on 3 small pieces of felt). Until now, it works very well, we'll see how long it will last

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did it more brutally - with clear silicone instead of tape, and without removing the cowl (just rested it on 3 small pieces of felt). Until now, it works very well, we'll see how long it will last

Sounds like a good idea - theres always more than one way of solving a problem.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Sounds like a good idea - theres always more than one way of solving a problem.
But it was damn hard to get the surfaces clean first, and even harder to apply the stuff without smudging. Probably not everyone's cup of tea - but once done it's hermetic. Interestingly, the whole car seems a touch more quiet now

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Using the idea from the previous posts, I have had a go at fixing the creaking you get from the windscreen when going over bumpy roads. The fix has worked so I here is a simple how to:

There are plastic cowls that rest directly on the glass at the bottom of the windscreen. These cowls move about on the glass when the car body flexes over bumpy roads and make the creaking noise. Grit and dirt gets trapped between the glass and the plastic making the noise worse.

When you lift up the cowl with a small screwdriver you will be able to see the scratches on the glass – this is the bit that can be isolated by sticking PVC tape to the glass. The fix is invisible once the excess tape is trimmed off with a Stanley knife.

Some thin stick on rubber spacers @ 1mm thick at 150mm intervals also lifts the cowl off the glass (orange rectangles on pics).

This fixed one of the main sources of creaking noises from my car.
Munro, I just read your post for the wind screen cracking sound. I noticed it too and i was worried the wind screen will fly off or something. Thank you for your post I will try it and I'll let you know how it all went.

Thanks dude:D Well done;)

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Munro, I just read your post for the wind screen cracking sound. I noticed it too and i was worried the wind screen will fly off or something. Thank you for your post I will try it and I'll let you know how it all went.

Thanks dude:D Well done;)

Er , It was some one else (BrawnR / PTR? - Thanks) who found out what was causing the creak in the "squeaks dashboard" thread. I just did a "How To" so others could benefit.

Hope it works for you as well TYPE-R 07.

This car reminds me of my old 205 GTi 1.9 - I spent ages stopping all the rattles, squeaks and creaks in that as well.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And when you've finally made it, you got another car :D
I actually did 110k miles in the 205 and it was very reliable. Like the CTR it is a fantastic car, and I could live with a few foibles (like having to fix a few squeaks and rattles). :D

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Er , It was some one else (BrawnR / PTR? - Thanks) who found out what was causing the creak in the "squeaks dashboard" thread. I just did a "How To" so others could benefit.

Hope it works for you as well TYPE-R 07.

This car reminds me of my old 205 GTi 1.9 - I spent ages stopping all the rattles, squeaks and creaks in that as well.:rolleyes:
OK...... Well then a great big thank you to both of you. Yeah but like you said you did the diy and was very helpful. For that you get the credit. Thanks again buddy!

·
Diesel Demon
502 Posts
My creaking windscreen, which I always took to be an incorrectly fitted windscreen (to the repeated denial of the local dealer) culminated in a huge crack down said 'screen.

I tapped lightly along the top of the windscreen with the pad of my hand, listening for the creak, then all of a sudden, CRACK! A 12" crack from the top of the screen.

Initially Honda Warranty refused to pay for it (typical!), but then Honda Customer Services stumped up the cash.

Coincidentally, I read on the Auto Express Website today (in the used car review section) that because the Civic's thin windscreen forms part of it's structure, it's a potential weak spot in cars that have been driven enthusiastically and should be something that buyers of used Civic's should look out for.

BTW, my new windscreen doesn't creak at all.

D

1 - 20 of 202 Posts