2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would share my installation of the Dice electronic iPod/iPhone car kit I took some photos of the progress just in case anyone may find them of interest or maybe even useful.

I got the kit form eBay delivered for £85 which I thought was quite reasonable, the kit comes with the dice box iPod cable and cable to connect the dice unit to the stereo, further to this I also installed the 3.5mm to 3.5mm aux cable as I had a spare one lying around.

The dice kit allows you to navigate the iPod while it is plugged in, it also allows you to skip through tracks with the steering wheel controls, I personally prefer to navigate through my music using the iPod rather than using the car stereo so this was why I decided on the dice car kit. Photos below show the installation.

To install the kit the dash needs to be taken of there’s a how to guide which shows you the steps although if you have small enough hands you do not need to pull the whole head unit out so do not need to do the first few steps.

Dice unit with all the cables including the 3.5mm to 3.5mm

Dice product number if anyone wishes to purchase the same one.

Connections on the dice unit

Dip switches this allows you to configure the dice unit to suit your needs, you can turn off iPod controls etc, another member on here pointed these switches out to me as I didn’t have a clue what they were until I got the dice unit, I thought they were on the back of the head unit when it was being discussed in another thread.

First off I removed the centre console arm rest there’s a few covers to pop off and some screws to take out then a sharp tug lifts it up, also discussed in another thread remember to disconnect the wire for the cigarette lighter before you pull the console out.

Next unclip the plastic surround around the gear shift unscrew the Knob and slide off this allows you to pull off the front centre console, before that you need to take off the dash below the steering wheel, this is easily unclipped see the “how to” guide on getting off the dash.

Once you have removed the dash you are left with this mess.

Not a good photo but it’s quite awkward here is where the dice unit plugs into the stereo and if you have small enough hands you can reach up and plug it in I was lucky enough to get it in on the first few attempts, although when I pulled my hand out it got a bit shredded so be careful of the sharp bits.

I screwed the dice unit on to a bit of plastic so it doesn’t rattle about however I discovered you need to move it behind that piece of plastic or the front console won’t go on right.

Now here is the point where you need to decide where the wires for the iPod is going to come out of I decided on the little compartment just above the gear shift, therefore I drilled some holes to allow the cable to pass into the compartment, I then cut it out with a craft scalpel. Feed the wires through and then put all the bits you’ve dismantled back together.

Here is where I have chosen the wires to come out of

Here is my hand after squeezing it up the back of the radio to plug the lead in, was worth a few cuts and scrapes so I didn’t need to take the stereo head unit out.

I’m not sure where I’m going to mount the iPod however got this cheapo car mount thing from asda was only £2.97, I think I may just keep it tucked away in the compartment as I don’t want to clutter it up with wires and mounts. Any suggestions on where to mount it would be good.

The END, the whole thing took around 30 to 45 minutes and is not difficult for those who like pulling things apart, I would also suggest when prising bits of plastic off wrap a flathead screwdriver tip in a small cloth to prevent scratches.

Ash

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Cracking job mate - I like the simplicity of that way of doing it.....as I was going down the Dension gateway 100 route for my iPhone....

I thing though that you may or may not know.....will this work with a sat nav HU like mine??

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thing though that you may or may not know.....will this work with a sat nav HU like mine??
Mark if you have a look at the link below there is an option for the sat nav version, so i would imagine this would work in yours or anyone with the factory fitted sat nav.

http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/iPod_Car_Kit/For_Factory_Fitted_Radios/Honda_iPod_Car_Kit/Honda_Dice_iPod_Car_Kit/Honda_-_DICE__iPod_Car_Kit

However i got mine from eBay which worked out £20 cheaper, the link is below you could maybe mail the guy to ask if it would work or if he has the sat nav version.

iPod Dice Car Integration Kit for Honda on eBay, also Car Kits, Apple iPod Accessories, MP3 Player Accessories, Consumer Electronics (end time 18-Jun-08 20:49:26 BST)

Well i think thats just made my mind up as to which kit to go for, great guide!
Glad it helped you out.

Ash

·
The Talented Mr. Robbieee
3,295 Posts
Bloody great install mate, cheers for sharing!! I was thinking going down the route of putting this cable through my centre console rather than having a dock. I take it you ran the jack connection for other aux devices? Does the DICE system charge your ipod too?

Robbie

·
3,295 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Robbie

The Dice unit does charge your ipod/iphone, when it is plugged into the ipod connection, but if you are just using the Aux cable it doesnt.

I dont think our radio has xm, maybe someone on here can tell us what it is i no you can get xm radio channels or something havent really looked into it.

I would recomend the dice kit as its far more easier than other kits where you have to make playlists and navigate your music through the car stereo, it also alows interface while plugged in some units do not allow you to control your ipod while plugged in, which is a pain as its much easier navigating through your music on the ipod.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh by the way i decided to just leave the ipod tucked away in the compartment didnt bother with the cradle mount thing looked a bit clumbsy.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Thanks for the guide - very useful. Getting my DICE delivered on Monday so had a test run today and managed to get to the point where I could see the back of the radio. Going to try to install it without taking the top off if I can!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just out of curiosity, does this affect your warranty in anyway?
Dont think it does as your not really changeing anything in the car just a wire that plugs in the back of the stereo cd changer port, so it could easily be taken back out again.

Maybe someone else could clear that up, as im not sure but wouldnt think it would effect the warranty.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Тhanks eashkeenon :)

Attachments

·
3,295 Posts
Just installed my dice system yesterday. Took 2 hours. I took the whole radio out- its not hard at all *Just 5 more screws). Not too bad. Very happy with the results!! Loving the system.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to see you have both managed and are happy with it i think the dice kit is well worth it.

I was going to take out the radio too just for a look, i like taking things apart and seeing whats there, never mind maybe next time.

·
3,295 Posts
Glad to see you have both managed and are happy with it i think the dice kit is well worth it.

I was going to take out the radio too just for a look, i like taking things apart and seeing whats there, never mind maybe next time.
Its pretty easy to come out. 3 screws are the top, 2 bolts at the bottom. Then a short sharp tug towards you. Its worth it lol

1 - 20 of 113 Posts