2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the door open, manually operate the door lock and at the same time operate the drivers door handle from the outside. When you close it release the door handle, you will activate the security system to the outside of the vehicle and not to the inside.

Therefore allowing you to leave children or dogs and things secure in the car.

:!: Don't forget to take your keys with you!!! :!:

EDITED: Made HOW TO title clearer. {Basegreen}

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
The outside, as in impact detection? If you have got a dog or your Mother-in-Laew in the car do you really need an external alarm, thats enough of a deterent. :wink:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hate to sound Bitchy, but after having Audi's and Volkswagen's for the past ten years, I find my new Civic alarm system sadly lacking. To disarm interior sensors, pull this, squeeze that, knock three times, kick front offside wheel twice etc. My dog is quite intriqued by the contortrions required to leave him on the back seat for ten minutes.
Audi/Volkswagen, press an interior button, close door and activate key remote - simple!
Come on Honda, catch up.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
having read and re-read this, and also read and re-read the manual, this method is slightly different to the one in the manual.

Although I haven't tried it...

According to page 271:
The ultrasonic system (the interior motion detector) is only activated when the security system is set by the key or the remote transmitter. blah blah blah.
You can set the security system without activating the ultrasonic sensor.

Pull the driver's outside door handle and push the lock tab in.
(From what I can make out, this 'lock tab' is the switch on the inside of the door, above all the electric window switches. It's the one on the door itself, not the one in the fake aluminium arm rest)
Release the handle, then close the door.
The security system indicator on the instrument panel comes on for 3 seconds, then starts blinking.
The difference here is that when you set the system normally (ie just simply close the door and blip the key fob blipper), the security system indicator on the dash starts blinking straight away - no 3 second solid light before it starts to blink.

re-reading Charles post again I guess that locking the door with the key might well do exactly the same as locking it with the 'lock tab' as the two things might be physically connected to each other.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Also please bear in mind that in UK spec Civics, only the ES, EX, Type S GT and both Type Rs actually get interior security sensors.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Hate to sound Bitchy, but after having Audi's and Volkswagen's for the past ten years, I find my new Civic alarm system sadly lacking. To disarm interior sensors, pull this, squeeze that, knock three times, kick front offside wheel twice etc. My dog is quite intriqued by the contortrions required to leave him on the back seat for ten minutes.
Audi/Volkswagen, press an interior button, close door and activate key remote - simple!
Come on Honda, catch up.
& Vauxhalls, click once, locks doors and external alarm, click twise, deadlocks and internal alarm also.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
& Vauxhalls, click once, locks doors and external alarm, click twise, deadlocks and internal alarm also.
IMO the Honda method is better, as you may want to set the deadlocks without necessarily setting the interior sensors...for example when leaving the windows down a bit on a sunny day ;)

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
IMO the Honda method is better, as you may want to set the deadlocks without necessarily setting the interior sensors...for example when leaving the windows down a bit on a sunny day ;)
You can't set the deadlock without setting the interior sensors :facepalm:

1st click locks doors and arms the alarm
2nd click sets the deadlocks

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
On my car you can ;)

Pull outside handle and push drivers' door lock tab, shut drivers door (indicators flash) and quickly press lock button on key once. Deadlocks on :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
What I meant was just using the keyfob on it's own :)

Good to know you can do it though - just don't use this method and leave someone in the car :facepalm:

·
Big T
1,554 Posts
:D Thanks this came in handy today .

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I guess that locking the door with the key might well do exactly the same as locking it with the 'lock tab' as the two things might be physically connected to each other.
does this method work with you?
There are time I've wanted to lock n leave the windows ajar cos of todays bizzarre summer heat, having a glass roof makes me wanna grow tomatoes with the temperatures inside sometimes...phew that's blo ody hot lol!!!

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
On my car you can ;)

Pull outside handle and push drivers' door lock tab, shut drivers door (indicators flash) and quickly press lock button on key once. Deadlocks on :cool:
But this doesn't disable the interior sensors :(

It looks like if the doors are already locked then a single press on the key fob will activate the deadlocks but will also activate the alarm

·
Banned
176 Posts
I'm confused by all this ...

What I understand is - I click my button once and it's all locked up (I didn't realise that another press would deadlock it!)

Also, I have a dog - may be left in the car sometimes ... my old car was simply a button press and it was set for no interior alarm - disappointed that Honda isn't able to do that simple too!

So, squeeze door handle outside - flick the interior lock - release the outside door handle - close door (do I need to lock it at this point, or is it locked) ....

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I'm confused by all this ...

What I understand is - I click my button once and it's all locked up (I didn't realise that another press would deadlock it!)

Also, I have a dog - may be left in the car sometimes ... my old car was simply a button press and it was set for no interior alarm - disappointed that Honda isn't able to do that simple too!

So, squeeze door handle outside - flick the interior lock - release the outside door handle - close door (do I need to lock it at this point, or is it locked) ....
it is locked and the alarm is armed but the interior sensors are disabled so OK to leave windows open slightly and dog in car :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts