2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 335 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 'How To' to install an aftermarket Reversing Camera if you have a factory fitted Navigation System and save yourself £££££'s over the Honda OEM camera!

New Picture.png New Picture (1).png

Note: Ignore the 'For Sale' link in the PDF as Bog is no longer trading here

View attachment How to Install an Aftermarket Reversing Camera.pdf

Honestly, even though it sounds and looks complicated, it is not difficult and well worth the effort.

Several members have done this and are more than happy!

:photo2:

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
I don't have factory nav but I will be putting a reversing camera for my double din. This is very good guide well done and thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Thanks! I would like to install the reversing camera in the next couple of weeks, so it will be very helpfull!

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
A very comprehensive guide! Well illustrated with photos and diagrams and written in simple English that even I could understand. Really, really useful and the more I read it the more I want to give it a try (the missus would love this as well). Thanks so much for sharing this with everyone.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Bog, Well done with the guide, the camera in my car is really good, dont know how I managed without it.

The cable I bought from you was perfect, I managed to install without taking out the glovebox and I followed your instructions to the letter.

The end result is that I have a rear view camera for £40 inc camera and cable.

Absolute Bargain....

Couldn't of done it without you.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bog, Well done with the guide, the camera in my car is really good, dont know how I managed without it.

The cable I bought from you was perfect, I managed to install without taking out the glovebox and I followed your instructions to the letter.

The end result is that I have a rear view camera for £40 inc camera and cable.

Absolute Bargain....

Couldn't of done it without you.
Glad you are happy :) it's a great mod and if you had got your dealer to fit the Honda camera.... You would be £500+ lighter!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Bog

Many thanks for answering my message about the camera and the aux input.
I will maybe buy one of the leads once I check with the company I'm looking at for the sensors and camera fit.

You're a star.

Reactions: Bog

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I'd love to know how you managed to squeeze your hands up from the passenger footwell. There's not even enough room in any of the gaps to get more than two fingers for me up there!

Aside from that, if anyone is not confident in splitting/splicing wires and has a pathological hatred of scotchloks (ie me) then investigate Posi-Locks and Posi-Twists. They are the same principle but are actually secure. Make life very easy!

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd love to know how you managed to squeeze your hands up from the passenger footwell. There's not even enough room in any of the gaps to get more than two fingers for me up there!

Aside from that, if anyone is not confident in splitting/splicing wires and has a pathological hatred of scotchloks (ie me) then investigate Posi-Locks and Posi-Twists. They are the same principle but are actually secure. Make life very easy!
I admit it is a small space, but I don't have small hands... I takes several attempts the first time and bevelling the edges of the plug helps alot getting it into the socket.

I assume you pulled off the trim panel under the glovebox?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I admit it is a small space, but I don't have small hands... I takes several attempts the first time and bevelling the edges of the plug helps alot getting it into the socket.

I assume you pulled off the trim panel under the glovebox?
I did, I'm not that stupid :D

Gave up in the end when I realised it wasn't going to happen. Is only 10 minutes work taking the stereo out after all...

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW.....

If you have limited or zero soldering skills, don't worry, you can still fit a reversing camera by joining the wires of the camera with a 'choc bloc' connector (this is what I did!)and connect to the reversing light for power with a 'scotch loc' connector.

I say this because a few have been concerned about soldering and others who have company cars, and would want to remove the camera quickly at the end of the lease.

I will up date the 'How to' soon with pics.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Could do with a helping hand from the camera master!!

BTW.....

If you have limited or zero soldering skills, don't worry, you can still fit a reversing camera by joining the wires of the camera with a 'choc bloc' connector (this is what I did!)and connect to the reversing light for power with a 'scotch loc' connector.

I say this because a few have been concerned about soldering and others who have company cars, and would want to remove the camera quickly at the end of the lease.

I will up date the 'How to' soon with pics.
Hi Bog, I'd be really keen to see this as I've never soldered wires before and don't really want to use my reversing light of my CTR as a place to practice..!!

Any news on the how to update with using a scotch loc? I spent a good few hours today getting the first steps done - video wire went into the back of the nav with no issues and works just fine; the camera is screwed on and the wires all fed through the number plate light cover, tucked in and the cover re-fitted...

But I drew a blank after pulling out the reverse light cable... probably ran out of confidence to be honest :facepalm: There just seems very little spare cable to play with on the wire into the reversing light so I guess I'm going to have to pretty accurate and get it right first time.

Any thoughts / tips much appreciated so I can get on with the rest of the install.

Thanks matey, the how to so far has proved invaluable btw.

Nick

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll try to post some pics tomorrow .... But its really easy :)

I assume you have a scotchloc... You just clip the open side over the brown wire going into the reversing light bulb holder (you will need to peel back some of the grey insulating tape to expose the wire) and insert the 12v power wire from your camera (I assume red, the squeeze the connector closed. Then maybe wrap some insulating tape
around it to make sure it's all secure.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
yep I've got a pack on order so hopefully will arrive early next week. That sounds easy enough. Somehow in my head I had visions of having to cut the existing reversing light cable but obviously not...bonus!

thanks again

Nick

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, no cutting and can be removed later if required.

Btw, the sell them in Halfords :)

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
You could do what I did and wind the wires really tight and push it into the back of the bulb connector and then tape it in place! No cutting, no scotch locks. Might come lose eventually but hasn't yet!

·
Registered
1 Posts
camera video in cable

hi there i am interested in one of your cables for a 06 plate civic how do i go about ordering one and paying for it. i probably sent you an email aswell so i'll apologise now as i am new to this sort of forum and couldn't work out how to reply (i must have been blind) cheers Bazzer1

1 - 20 of 335 Posts