2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Follow this guide at your own risk. I've attempted to make it as straightforward as possible but can't promise that I've covered every detail. I hope it's helpful for some of you.

The swap is pretty straightforward aside from one minor adjustment that needs to be made. Note that in advance you'll need replacement indicator bulbs as the originals are white and the new ones need to be orange. WY21W is the bulb type.

Firstly, the old orange one:

Open the boot and use a flathead screwdriver to remove the cover panel.
Start from the highlighted area, you'll need to get the screwdriver underneath to pull it away and up at the same time. The clip will pop off and allow you to remove the panel. It comes away in a sideways (into the boot) and upwards motion to release all the tabs.

DO NOT try to prise the panel from the top. There is a fragile clip there that will break - the panel needs to be moved upwards to release it at this point.

With the panel off, the bolts holding the panel in place are visible. Have at these with a screwdriver and set the bolts and washers aside.

Pull the light away slightly to get a better grip, and then pull it away from the car directly towards the back.

There's a white pin that locates into a hole in the bodywork at the top of the light, this is quite easy to remove but requires a tug on the light fitting. The locator hole is visible in the below photograph.

With the light in your hand, twist and pull the holders to remove the bulbs.

This is where the modification needs to be made. In the lower picture, the old light is on the left and the new one on the right. As can be seen for the indicator socket, the tab holes are slightly different.

In order for your original indicator holder to fit you need to enlarge the two smaller holes. This can be seen in the photos below - not the neatest of jobs I've done but it works!

My recommendation would be to make small adjustments and check against the light holder. Be careful not to get any plastic cutoff inside the indicator as getting it out is a pain in the rear!

Once the indicator light fits, swap the bulb over if you haven't done so already and re-plug the bulbs in. The brake light socket does not need any adjustments made, only the indicator.

With the bulbs back in, replace the light, do up the bolts and put the cover back on (from the top edge first, the rest of the tabs press into place).

Done! :beerglass:

Attachments

·
more torque than the mrs
6,793 Posts
getting myself some facelift indicators i take it you remove the 2 little bits of plastic on bulb holder [circled in black in attached photo, one on each side] as the larger bits are the ones that hold bulb in place [circled in red in photo] .

is this method the better option.

[img]http://www.civinfo.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=107090&stc=1&d=1411503054[/img]

Attachments

·
more torque than the mrs
6,793 Posts
Do you need to buy orange indicator bulbs for these? Looking at putting a set of LED bulbs in, but there are very few that give orange light. I put white LEDs in for brake lights, but these show red due to the housing. Wondering if indicator bulbs will do the same....
if you have the orange type indicators then a white led you can use, clear indicators orange bulb...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Easier way to remove Rear Indicator/Brake Light Assemble Cover Panel

Rather then struggle to get you flat blade under thte trim and forcer it out simply slide it between the bottom edge and the trim. Then either lever it up or twist the blade it will then come free.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did anyone else make the experience that the amber bulbs almost don't work at all?

I've bought clear indicator lenses and also some used amber bulbs. When I swapped the bulbs, they would only work when stuck in a very specific position, after they moved just a tiny bit (when putting them into the new lamp unit) they would stop flashing. The old white bulbs work just perfectly. Is this a normal thing or should I just buy new bulbs?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.