2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bass upgrade sounds pretty poor. The speakers POP rather than vibrate in the rear at high bass/volume levels. I'm something of an audiophile, so getting this set up sounding ok has been very frustrating indeed. I have front coaxials installed, as well.

Settings I am using are

Bass - 1
Treble + 2
Balance Front/Back - F +2
L/R Balance - EVEN

This really reduces the impact of the bass, but I have the coaxials so this is sounding okay, because the front speakers can take the weight of this set up. Standard front speakers would struggle with these settings.

I really need to see the gain and xover settings. I presume both are set to a middle value. The xover needs to come down to maybe 1/3 of its setting, and the gain probably around 1/2 way, or just over depending on the sound of the above.

·
Registered
24 Posts
With the Concert Pack 1 option (upgraded tweeters, front dual cone speakers, bassworks in the rear) I've settled on the following settings:

Bass: +1
Treble: 0
Front/Back: F +3
Balance: <0>

To get a good sound, I'd recommend dialing the front/back fully forward, set up the bass/treble as you like, then dial the back speakers in gradually until the sub-bass sounds good.

--R

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Basegreen and RiP,

I have the upgraded Concert Pack and am EXTREMELY disappointed with them - I wasted £625 on them. On a high volume (which is sometimes needed when on the motorway), I hear a really, really bad kinda crackling, static noise very annoying. Took it in for it to get checked out and they said you were having them up too loud. Surely for a system I paid lots of money for, it shouldn't be doing it. It's even worst when using the HFT system.

Any ideas...?

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
not good speakers even the opion ones then :( mite try them ones other have replaced the fronts with

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Even if you have to pay a car entertainment place then the Infinities will probably be your best bet.
The original speakers aren't THAT bad though; just not great. I just wouldn't have liked to pay £650 for not very good.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are definitely a lot better than the standard speakers, but they are not worth the money, by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
The only way I've managed to stop my rear speaks from sounding 'muffled' (can't think of a better term - as soon as any bass was coming through it was like they were under water :(), I've had to set the equalizer to as far down as it will go - probably cutting out the bass freqs altogether :mad:

And this is with just a +1 adjustment to the rear bias in order to keep the daughter happy back there without blowing our eardrums in the front :wink:

I can now ramp the volume right up to 40 without any real distortion - but it's not the kind of sound I was after :(

Not a happy chappy :(

As soon as someone finds out where the bassworks amp is, I'm ripping it out and will probably use it as a door stop or something else it's more suited to :(

PS - this is with the standard concert pack - front co-axials and bassworks amp and rears

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
the sooner we find either
a) a (translated) workshop manual, or
b) a member in here who knows where the amp is
the better :)

I'm loath to start pulling panels and dashboards apart on the off chance that might be where they've hidden it :(

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
b) a member in here who knows where the amp is

I'm 90% sure that it's underneath the steering wheel in the compartment behind there; do enough searches on here and you'll find out.
Although somebody had it in their glovebox, but I think that was at request.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah, of course, the amp is under the radio inside the dash.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
I was kinda worried that might be the case :(

hey ho - looks like I need to print off the "how to dismantle you car into component parts" thread then... :lol:

and take a crash course in car audio to work out how to wire the rear speakers without the amp (might get to use the infinitys :D) - and then perhaps take a feed from them into the boot or something...

*sigh* I can see some busy weekends ahead - and lots of brownie points being cashed in with the wife...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I was kinda worried that might be the case :(

hey ho - looks like I need to print off the "how to dismantle you car into component parts" thread then... :lol:

and take a crash course in car audio to work out how to wire the rear speakers without the amp (might get to use the infinitys :D) - and then perhaps take a feed from them into the boot or something...

*sigh* I can see some busy weekends ahead - and lots of brownie points being cashed in with the wife...

TT, seems like they put the amp where they can find a space. I would go back to the dealer and ask where it was placed. I am sure these are dealer fit and not factory fitted. Then, when they tell you where it is, get 'em to move it somehwhere more convenient, why should you do their job for them?

I bet that has'nt calmed you down has it :D . You see my point though:)

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is a mounting point inside the dash specifically for the bassworks amp, it's not a ram it somewhere job,

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Karlak - I do (see your point) :wink:

and whilst I'm gripping about it, in a perverted sort of way I'm actually kinda looking forward to taking it to bits :eek:

basegreen - cheers for that :)

rest assured, camera will be to hand - but the pictures of the blood from my scraped knuckles might not be for the faint hearted! :lol:

And there will NOT be sound - we'd have to X rate it otherwise :wink:

·
Registered
98 Posts
personally, if i were planning on having a half deceant sound system in the car, i wouldnt upgrade using oe parts...go custom, itll end up being similar money, if not cheaper and the results will be alot more impressive :p

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep. Couldn't agree more - wouldnt dream of paying the Honda Tax myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Would be great if someone dismantled the dash and made pictures of this thing.

Got the concert pack too and am extremely dissappointed with the sound...

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Would be great if someone dismantled the dash and made pictures of this thing.
Yes - except the type of person who dismantles his dash is not normally the same person that specifies over-priced underperforming stuff from the OEM. Might be a rare photo!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts