Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How To Make the Little Blue Light Brighter

This is a mod to make the little blue light brighter with just 1 part,
No it is not a LED.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
First things first.
This is a more advanced how to where you will need to have some electronic and soldering skills.

I can not be held responsible for you voiding your warranty if honda find out what you have done.

I can also not be held responsible if you blow fuses or the LED.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

All you will need is a Resistor that is at least 1/2w of what ever ohm rating you want, but make sure you are not allowing too much current to flow through the LED.

Step 1: Removal of the 2 screws that hold the front light in place and make sure you take proper steps to prevent any short circuits, keep doors closed, turn off the power to lights at the switches.

Step 2: Once off you need to disconnect the power connector by pressing the tab and pulling back gently(this is one of the main wiring harnesses(main harnesses are expensive so dont damage it))

Step 3: Remove the cover to reveal the wire traces.

Step 4: Remove the bulbs from their sockets and we can also see the main annoyance that is the cause of the dim blue light.

Step 5: A close up of it.

Step 6: Turn the right hand side 501 socket 90° and lift out.

Step 7: Lift out the traces and bend them back slowly.

Step 8: Lift the negative trace out from the corner, the LED will pop out when you do this.

Step 9: Do not lose it

Step 10: : Lift one side of the resistor out

Step 11: Start doing the same to trace that hold the end of the resistor, you may need to attack it from all sides

Step 12: Once out remove that resistor

Step 13: Reinsert the traces back to into the locations they came from

Step 14: Shape the new resistor so that the legs touch to negative sides but before you do that put some heat shrink around it so you do not cause any shorts, i used a 2.2KΩ Resistor as it is all i had.

Step 15: Solder down the resistor, it may be a bloody pain as solder does not stick down to the traces due to the large thermal mass.

Step 16: Once Soldered down time to re install the LED, NOTE the key (cut square thing) this is the way the led should go in.

Step 17: reinstall the 501 sockets and then the trace cover.

Step 18 Install back in the car using the same caution as when you removed it.

Step 19: Test it with the cover on, hoping you didn't do anything there should be no issues.

By doing this you are going from from 700µA to 4mA and LEDs normally run at 20mA, so you should get at least 2x more light from this mod, depending upon what resistor you use, BUT DO NOT GO UNDER 750Ω UNLESS YOU WANT IT BRIGHTER, the LED calculator says for a LED of 3.6 volts and 20mA with a source voltage of 12V the resistor needed is 470Ω but you do not want to go to full brightness and have some leeway.

Type R owners: Since your LED is red and not blue it runs at 2V instead of 3.6v this means you will need a larger value resistor for full brightness you will need 560Ω so same rules apply as above just go to a slightly higher Ω rating like 850Ω.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Do you think that with a fine point soldering iron it would be possible to simply solder another resistor accross the ends of the existing one so its in parallel.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
It's directly above the gearstick between the map lights. Would like to swap mine for a red one - I thought they were blue on all the models but red on the CTR makes sense!

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's directly above the gearstick between the map lights. Would like to swap mine for a red one - I thought they were blue on all the models but red on the CTR makes sense!
You can replace it as well to a red or even white, green or what ever you want.

Just need a superflux LED.

But red LEDs run at 2v and blues run at 3.3v.

Changing the LED color from blue to red will make it a little brighter.

Best bet is to pick a ultra high mcd one

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Nice guide, that little light is neither use nor ornament the way it is, might as well mmake it earn it's keep.....off to buy some resistors......you say you used a 2.2K and not to go under 750......so what do you reckon is the ideal resistor size to give a nice pool of light ? Just anywhere in between the two ?

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I changed it again too see how bright it is when used with the correct resistor for a blue led it is 470Ohm and it is not bad, gives a nice glow around the gearstick without it glaring to me(but i am not affected by bright lights like others(i also have the dash brightness set to max at night))

But the resistor that is in the blue is 22KOhm which is way too high to give off any real light.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Ok cheers........I'll try a 750, I can always change itlater if I want it brighter, anything has to be better than the way it is at the moment

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Back in 2007 -2008, when I purchased my Civic, I posted a very simple "How To" increase the blue light brightness.
I wear soft contact lenses, but mine were not strong enough, so I nicked some disposable ones, from someone with really bad eyesight.
Thoroughly cleaned them of course in my solution and left them to dry and harden to the pre formed shape.
A tiny drop of clear silicone around the edge secured it to the plastic cover where the blue bulb is and you have yourself a lens.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a ctr and didnt even know this light existed, where is it situated?
On your roof lining (above your gear knob), between the 2 buttons that turn on the front interior lights. I'm not sure if you need your head lights on or not.

At night (or a really dark place), have a look at your gear knob, then cover that light. You will notice that the light does project some light onto the center console and makes a small different.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts