2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since in most of the countries lights during daytime are obligatory and CIVICs from 8th generation don't have daytime running lights, light sensors in our cars became useless. I wanted to make my own DRL switch and here is how I did it thanks to some other threads in this forum.

DRLs should turn on with the ignition and turn off with turning off your car or when you turn on your headlights.

You will need:
  • 1 normally closed relay (12V DC, and not less than 10A), or you can use 5-pin relay and use only normally closed pin.
  • 4 x 10 cm differently colored wires (one of them should be black for ground, and one red for lights (as it is for honda sidelights))

First of all, You need to locate the under-dash fuse/relay box and option connector in the top left corner of the fuse/relay box (marked with C on the following picture).

Details about option connector can be found here... option connector

You will use 2 pins from option connector, bottom right (12V with ignition) and top far right (12V with sidelights (position lights)). If you are using 4-pin normally closed relay we can imagine it like this

You will use top far right pin from option connector to energize one end of the coil in the relay (e.g. number 1 on the image above), and the other end of the coil (e.g. number 3 on the image above) is connected to the ground (black wire recommended). Connect the Vin (input voltage) port of the relay (e.g. number 2 on the image above) to the bottom right connector of the option connector in the under-dash fuse/relay box (the one that has 12V with the ignition). The last connector on the relay (e.g. number 4) should be connected to your DRLs (red wire recommended).

Since the fuse box is located inside of the car and DRLs are in front of the vehicle, I decided to use cables for my front sidelights to energize DRLs. Now, I didn't see any particular use of front sidelights and I've cut the cables that were used to energize the sidelights and connected them to the remaining relay connector.

The only thing left to explain is how to identify the wires that lead to front position lights. First, you need to remove driver's dashboard lower cover. Here is how you do it:
- Open the front door, and adjust the steering column upward.
- Using your finger lift the lower edge of the driver's side cover (A) by hand to detach the lower clips.

- Gently pull out on the top edge of the driver's dashboard side cover (A) to detach the clips, then remove the driver's dashboard side cover.

- Remove the screw (A), and detach the clips (B) along the edge of the driver's dashboard lower cover (C).

Second, take a look at the under-dash fuse/relay box now. It should look like this

Disconnect F and G connectors like this

Just F and G connectors, not the rest of the fuse box!!!

The 3rd pin in F connector is the one that goes to the front right positioning light and the 5th pin in G connector is the one that goes to the front left positioning light. Check the previous statement with the following procedure for F3 and G5

If your sidelights work as described, you've identified your wiring to the sidelights.

Now, cut the red wires that go from F3 and G5 and connect them to the remaining pin of your normally closed relay (previously noted as pin number 4). Put F and G connectors back and test if your front sidelights turn on with the ignition, turn off with your headlights turned on, and turn off with turning off your vehicle. If everything works fine, put the driver's dashboard lower cover back. Fix your 4-pin normally closed relay to the lower side of the fuse box with insulating tape. And you're done.

Finally, your sidelights work as your DRLs should, except that they are not even close to be bright enough to be used as DRLs. Now find the LEDs or DRLs that you like the most and connect them parallel to the front sidelights. I've placed LED strips like this

If you have any questions, just ask... :D

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
:)

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I guessed that the DRL icon would be to indicate a problem rather than activation. Difficult to tell as no idea what colour it is!

The issue I have is that I'm unsure if sidelights are required to be on with headlights in the UK or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have any DRL symbol in the dash. The DRLs just turn on with ignition and turn of when headlights are on (and there is a symbol for this) and now I always keep my lights in AUTO mode.

You have probably noticed that the dashlight also has two modes (with headlights turned on and off). In the night, I dim my dashlight, and in the sun, I keep it maximally illuminated. Now I don't have to switch it anymore. I just came back from a looong trip with a lot of tunnels and I liked this feature :)

I don't know anything about the regulations in UK. To be honest, I don't know if sidelights are required to be on with headlights in the Serbia, but I don't see any purpose of the sidelights during the night since they are not even notable when headlights are on. If I ever get a ticket for not having sidelights turned on with headlights, I'll post it here :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well you can solve this problem by covering light sensor. Then sensor thinks it is dark and lights are on all the time when ignition is turned on.
I've tried this, also, but you can't use just black paper or card. You'll have to use aluminium foil to reduce reflections that can get to the sensor. Even if you make a perfect cover it is not really reliable. Your sensor will pick up sunrays, sometimes.

Another shortcoming is rain sensor. It should detect different reflections when raindrops are on the windshield and when they are not. By covering the sensor, you can affect those reflections. My wipers worked differently.

And finally, you will not have two modes for a dashlight ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That module was an option for my kit but I wanted full control of them so saved the money and wired them to where the fogs went. Just on and off on the stork like fogs.
Seems like we had different motives. My goal was never to touch the light switch again (except for fog lights which is not that often) :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I understand this procedure well, the light (LED whatever you call DRL)will turned on when the key is in the second position and NOT when the engine is running, right?
Wrong! LED lights (DRLs) will turn on when the key is in the second position even when the engine is running. They will turn off when you (or your sensor) turn on your sidelights (now you don't have front sidelights, but you still can turn the switch on) or low beam headlights.

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
I guessed that the DRL icon would be to indicate a problem rather than activation. Difficult to tell as no idea what colour it is!

The issue I have is that I'm unsure if sidelights are required to be on with headlights in the UK or not.
Think it would be amber.

Green in unlikely since green is a color that is normal(ie blinkers, headlight)
Red is bloody bad(low oil, no oil, alternator)
Amber is a caution(low fuel, vsa)

Also a quick check in the wiring diagram shows there is no circuit for the DRL light in the dash.
But to make sure you have to remove the tachometer and see if there are any traces coming from the bulb location.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.