2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a CTR grill badge to replace my standard badge but was reluctant to pay £50 + for one from main dealers. After some thought, I figured I would have a stab at modifying it myself, after all, how hard could it be????.......Not hard at all. :p

First thing is to remove the badge. I used a knife and slotted it behind the "H" and with a bit of twisting, fettling and swearing the badge came away from its retaining pins.

I then placed the badge on some paper and drew around it and cut it out.

Then I took the template and transferred it to some thin aluminium. I used the lid from a biscuit tin as its thin and is easily cut with scissors.

Once the aluminium 'base plate' was cut out I sanded it down to get rid of the shine and to give the paint something to bond to.

Then I primed it using WHITE automotive primer. A few coates are needed and light sanding inbetween coates ensures a nice flat surface. The white primer really makes the red top coat stand out.

Once dry I repeated the above process with red automotive paint and left it over night to fully dry.

I then finished the painting process by applying a clear lacquer. Again a few coates were applied to resist stone chipping.

I left it over night to fully harden.

I then mixed some epoxy resin (Araldite) and applied a small amount to the back of the "H" and placed it onto the painted base plate and clamped it in place using a small plastic clamp and left it to set for an hour or so.

Once cured I mixed some more epoxy resin and applied it to the back of the base plate and placed the badge onto the grill. This was held in place with masking tape. Just make sure it's straight before the epoxy sets.

Once dry, I removed the tape, stood back and admired my grill while counting the ££'s I had saved. :p

The base plate could be painted any colour, maybe to match the body colour?

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
Great job ;-)

Looks perfect.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Look's good

·
I drive my Mistress...
874 Posts
This is why I love this site!!!! Top job mate!

·
AKA - Vin Petrol
1,821 Posts
Fancy doing me one?

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Excellent result. I am going to do that too!

One question though, why did you put the H badge on some paper for? I don't understand. Does the badge seperate from the square shaped back?

If so why trace around the H shape?

I may sound thick but I don't get it?

Thanks

Griffian

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Class, I like that, good effort :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Excellent result. I am going to do that too!

One question though, why did you put the H badge on some paper for? I don't understand. Does the badge seperate from the square shaped back?

If so why trace around the H shape?

I may sound thick but I don't get it?

Thanks

Griffian
I put the badge on paper to draw around it to make a template of the entire badge (not just the H bit in the middle which isnt seperate) which enabled me to transfer it to the aluminium.
hope this clarifies things.

Thank you for all your positive comments guys. Much appreciated.

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
1 - 20 of 89 Posts