2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, there is alot of discussion about this subject, hence, when I finally got some spare time and read everyones opinion, below is my solution, my HFT is now as "clear as a bell", easy to do, may work for you?

scange8.jpg

It seems that with the MIC on the grille the sound now has a direct route to the MIC. It might be improving everything because of less background noise in the roof area, I'm not sure, however, I have now phoned about 6 different people and all say it is very good compared to before i.e. like a normal HFT system.

Also, you can try this mod and easily reverse it if you get no improvement.

Things I don't think work;

Moving the MIC 4"
Drilling more holes
Rotating the MIC

Let me know how you get on............ :lol:

P.S Thank for the link below, seems the incumbent image loader doesn't work?

·
Registered
178 Posts
host the image on image shack and then copy the url (http://etc...) and put it inside {img} and {/image} only use [] instead of {} or email me and I'll do it for you

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
That's what I did, but I also put the 5mm piece of foam behind the mic housing, for soundproofing and also to create pressure against the housing front. The voice recognition system is many, many times better than before. I showed someone the car yesterday with no embarrasing moments :wink:

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Got bored of waiting, I left the cover on the mic, but removed it from its original home, put a piece of felt normally used for protecting wooden floors behind it and clipped the roof back in, a bit of a fiddle, and to be honest its bulging slightly, but it works better. The hands free commands get a response almost straight away, and the HFT is a lot better, actually called my own voicemail with the window down @ 65mph, that school crossing lady looked a but miffed ( :wink: ), but at least I could actually tell it was me. There was still background noise, but the voice is more clear.

If you are reading this Honda, this does not get you off the hook, its still a problem!

I emailed again today to get an update on their fix, the email was read at 11:49, the clock's ticking.

·
Registered
347 Posts
WS,

I did this a week or so ago, but without the padding behind. I just let the microphone slide loose in its slot. The HFT is now usable at all speeds. It still sounds a bit remote and echoes at the other end, and I still have to talk loudly. But it is possible to carry out a conversation at all speeds, so a massive improvement.

The general HFT operation is also much improved.

However as RR says, its still not perfect, and still needs a proper fix from Honda.

·
estranged
391 Posts
I did this today, and it works very well.

However, after removing the foam bottom from the mic housing, I noticed the actual microphone pickup was flat (i.e. facing directly into the side of the housing). I angled it down at 45 degrees, facing my head, and I now have an even better response. The pickup moves very easily, but I wouldn't want to do it too many times! The pickup looks like a small watch battery with black foam at the business end.

My "What time is it?" tests (done 5 times each run):

With no modification: 15 seconds
With microphone lowered and foam removed: 5 seconds
With pickup angled 45 [email protected] 2-3 seconds

I also went out for a drive on the M23, at 70mph... aircon on, and called my wife. She remarked that it was a huge improvement, comparable to my Jabra earpiece.

The whole thing can be pushed back up if, or rather when, I take in to be done properly, so a very worthwhile 5 minute mod.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I am sure I have posted this in plenty of other places, but my car is currently with Honda in Slough having the mod done. It is due back on Monday. They collected it last Thursday. It seems that the testing has taken the time. I got a mail intially on Monday saying it was ready, so 2 working days all told, but was told today they have more testing to do.

I think once they know it works they will get the fix out to the dealers, can't see it being a big job. Will post when I find out what the fix is.

·
estranged
391 Posts
I've been waiting eagerly for the results of the testing on your car RR, but it starting to sound more like they're trying to come up with a fix rather than test one... so I thought I'd do this little mod while I'm waiting.

The fact they have your car is a little odd, it's not as if they're short of the odd Civic or two! Then again, maybe they don't want to be messing around with their own cars when they have a willing Guinea Pig ;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Cad said:
I've been waiting eagerly for the results of the testing on your car RR, but it starting to sound more like they're trying to come up with a fix rather than test one... so I thought I'd do this little mod while I'm waiting.

The fact they have your car is a little odd, it's not as if they're short of the odd Civic or two! Then again, maybe they don't want to be messing around with their own cars when they have a willing Guinea Pig ;)
I hate to say it, but the timescale does imply that they are either having non-trivial problems, or doing extensive testing. Hopefully the latter, but in that case I would have expected other cars to be involved.

I hope when they get the fix to the dealers that it is a little quicker, although judging by the time it took them to fix the swimming pool in my boot it may just be another week. :?

Then just wait for the angry owners to start complaining when they get non-trivial punctures. But at least we may be able to phone for help from the car. :evil:

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
To be fair I think it is more the transport dept who are holding things up in getting a trailer for the car. When I found out it was ready on Monday they could not return it for 4 days (tomorrow), I found out yesterday they were continuing testing and involving some guy from factory (?), and that it will be returned on Monday next week, again I assume due to lack of transport. I even offered to go to Slough and collect it, although that probably wouldn't help as the loaner came from Watlington (or Wallingford) both in Oxfordshire, not far away at all really.

I am a bit peeved at the delay, but won't make a big deal, they are fixing it after all, and besides I am sick of the smell of burning RichieRich.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Would imagine the worst case scenario for the mic's. sensitivity problem is normally while travelling at the legal speed limit - or above in the odd case or three!
While using the HFT, I have only had the one detrimental remark so far by the person taking my call - they complained of the echo - sounded like I was in an empty metal Portakabin - bl..dy cheek considering our state of the art interior.

While my fuel pump was being given the once over, my dealer acknowledged there was a fix for the mic. but I agreed to wait until 1st service to further weigh up the situation and decide to have it modified or not.

Wonder how the vehicle internal noise levels compare - petrol vs oil burner on standard fit tyres at the legal limit and the same road surface.
Not much in it I would guess?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I get mine as u can see early next month and I intend to ensure that all the faults as shown on this site are attended to, I do not intend to pay 17k+ for a car with known faults

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had the fix done on mine by the dealer and it takes no time. However, I still need to check what they have done because it hade the phone better but the voice recognition MUCH MUCH worse ... it gets everything wrong:confused::confused:

1 - 20 of 101 Posts