2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Can anyone advise if there is a simple way to reduce polish/gloss residue from stone chips.

I recently bought my 09 plate Type S and it only took a week for the dealers polish to wash off revealing the extent of the swirl marks in the metallic blue paint. The car was so dull that it looked like a solid colour not metallic.
TLC required so having read through the cleaning advice on a few threads I began the task on Friday night.

1. Wash with Auto Glym Car Shampoo using the 2 bucket technique
  2. Auto Glym intensive tar remover
  3. Meguiar's quick clay kit
  4. 1st coat of Auto Glym Super Resin Polish (applied with a Halfords electric polisher)

At this point things were looking good. I had never used a chemical cleaner or clay before reading this site and the prep work seemed to have paid off.
The surface felt like glass to touch and the deep metallic blue was no longer obscured by the hazed and swirled lacquer.

Left over night then yesterday I added
  • 2nd cost of the Super Resin Polish with the polisher.
  • Then to finish Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection.

It was when I started to buff the gloss protection that the problem became apparent. Every stone chip was suddenly highlighted brilliant white with the residue from the gloss.

So from anything beyond 6 feet away the car looks great now:) . But any closer and the the bonnet looks like it's started snowing:facepalm:.

I used auto gym as I already had a good supply at home but is it the auto gym extra gloss protection that's the problem? Is there a gloss product that would have worked better?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers

·
Administrator
15,522 Posts
Hi

Can anyone advise if there is a simple way to reduce polish/gloss residue from stone chips.

I recently bought my 09 plate Type S and it only took a week for the dealers polish to wash off revealing the extent of the swirl marks in the metallic blue paint. The car was so dull that it looked like a solid colour not metallic.
TLC required so having read through the cleaning advice on a few threads I began the task on Friday night.

1. Wash with Auto Glym Car Shampoo using the 2 bucket technique
  2. Auto Glym intensive tar remover
  3. Meguiar's quick clay kit
  4. 1st coat of Auto Glym Super Resin Polish (applied with a Halfords electric polisher)

At this point things were looking good. I had never used a chemical cleaner or clay before reading this site and the prep work seemed to have paid off.
The surface felt like glass to touch and the deep metallic blue was no longer obscured by the hazed and swirled lacquer.

Left over night then yesterday I added
  • 2nd cost of the Super Resin Polish with the polisher.
  • Then to finish Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection.

It was when I started to buff the gloss protection that the problem became apparent. Every stone chip was suddenly highlighted brilliant white with the residue from the gloss.

So from anything beyond 6 feet away the car looks great now:) . But any closer and the the bonnet looks like it's started snowing:facepalm:.

I used auto gym as I already had a good supply at home but is it the auto gym extra gloss protection that's the problem? Is there a gloss product that would have worked better?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers
Good to see you are doing a decent wash routine firstly.
Washing, detarring and claying will have removed any fillers that the dealer may have used to help hide the stone chips, you have now exposed them again.
Super resin polish would have filled them again to a degree but please ditch the halfords buffer, it will make your paint worse than by doing it by hand.
The extra gloss protection is a sealant so this only protects the paint surface for a while until it starts to degrade after a month or so, it's not the best tbh.
Unfortunately,you have just revealed the true state of your bonnets paintwork, very common problem with civics.
I would suggest buying something like poorboys blackhole which will help mask the paint chips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wanner69.
Here's how it looked when I'd finished and at the bottom is the horror I uncovered at the front.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
As above only real way to sort it is to fill/touch up the stone chips. It's time consuming but well worth it.

The technique in the post above will give you near perfect results but is very dependent on your technique. You can do a decent job with just blobbing in the paint with a cocktail stick if your not feeling brave enough.

Car looks good and the colour is lovely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Nighthawk and Hitch.
Might start with the cocktail stick method and then invest in some kit before trying the full repair. The results in that link look amazing but sanding the bonnet would be unnerving. That said I hadn't tried clay before reading some posts.
Cheers for the responses, the knowledge shared is what dispels my fear of attempting.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Thanks Nighthawk and Hitch.
Might start with the cocktail stick method and then invest in some kit before trying the full repair. The results in that link look amazing but sanding the bonnet would be unnerving. That said I hadn't tried clay before reading some posts.
Cheers for the responses, the knowledge shared is what dispels my fear of attempting.
Just touch them in and go from there. It will vastly improve the finish having the colour in the chip hole rather than seeing the White.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts