2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an easy little guide on how to remove the OEM Type R spoiler and also how to install a new one

Tools needed: Nothing special, screwdriver, silicone
Difficulty: 3/10 (Depends if you have new clips or need to re-use old ones)

Step 1 - Removal of covers
There are 6 screws holding the OEM spoiler in place. 1 visible on each side of the trunk lid and 4 hidden under a cover.

The 4 hidden ones
Remove the plastic cover on the inside of the trunk lid. It´s the plastic part under the perspex thing. You have to begin at the ends (like always) and bend it up with something flat. It´s a bit tricky to save the 5 white clips as you can see on the PIC 1. After the cover has been removed, take out the clips and put them back on the cover for later (You maybe notice that the clips are very hard to get out and will budge the plate a bit. Take a hammer and fix that).

Step 2 - Removing OEM spoiler
Now that you have all screws visible begin to remove them one by one while someone is holding the spoiler so it doesnt fall down (If alone, use some sticky-tape). The screw on each side of the trunk lid will be used again, save them PIC 2.

After that it´s loose, easy-peasy

Step 3 - Preparing new spoiler (M-type)
Now take the brackets for the trunk-lid-side-screws from the OEM spoiler and swap them over to the new one (They can be slid from right to left and I think I put them exactly as they sat on my OEM spoiler, furthest out). After that you need a rubber strip or something else, silicone, to make sure no water gets in when the spoiler is in place. Take a look at the OEM one for how to put it. Also, dont forget to take out the rubber mounts, 2 of them, and swap them over aswell, look at PIC 3.

Step 4 - preparing car for spoiler
Just to be sure that no water gets in you can put some silicone around the larger holes and fill the small ones (I did not use them at all, think they are for lining it up or something). You can do the same with the spoiler. LET THE SILICONE DRY A BIT, TAKES SOME TIME, PIC 4.

Step 5 - Installing the spoiler
This can be a bit tricky. Try to put the spoiler back on as lined up as possible, PIC 5. Try to see through all 6 holes so you know it´s in place. It can be good to fasten one of the trunk-lid-side-screws so you can move the spoiler in all directions to get all holes lined up. PLEASE dont over tighten the screws, especially not the 4 hidden ones as they are easy to break their mounts.

Step 6 - Putting things back together
Make sure all screws are enought tightened. And the 4 screws on the spoiler holding the middle part in place. Put the plastic cover back and then your finished.

I think that would be it! :popcorn:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
This is very helpful thankyou!
Going to have a go at fitting mine this weekend.

I have heard the brackets/bolts on either side are a pain

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Good luck mate :) cant actually remember but it was a bit tricky to get the two brackets lined up with all 6 holes when fitting it

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He maybe updated or forgot mine. There was 6 "needles" but I think theyre for marking on the type s

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Metal plate? Haha I never got one, I got the wing, thats it :s

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you take a pic haha? I might have had them fitted from the box

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Hi guys, did you end up using the rivets in the end? Got my spoiler yesterday, and waiting for it to get sprayed. Stephen is sending me the rivets separately. Would you have to drill the metal plate through to the spoiler?

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, I never got anything other than the spoiler and mine sits perfect. BUT I would use everything just to be safe if he now sends more with the spoiler.

Phil739 might know more about the metal plate since he got one :)

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
mines still sat in the front room not going into paint till end of oct ...
I askes the same question and was told there was no need to rivet the plates to the spoiler. as the 2 bolts hold the plates in place ... but keep us informed if you get yours fitted before me

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Great how-to by the way - gonna come in very handy!

Now I got a bit bored this afternoon, so took the spoiler apart just to see - there is a small amount of movement in the metal plate, even when bolted together. Taking the bolts out, there are 3 holes for the rivets to go, and yes, you'd have to drill the spoiler as well.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How important is it to use silicone?
If you can seal it with the rubber strip that should be enough, my strip was a bit short so had a few openings from above and with gravity rain would have entered but I dont know if it could damage anything

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
If you can seal it with the rubber strip that should be enough, my strip was a bit short so had a few openings from above and with gravity rain would have entered but I dont know if it could damage anything
Where did you get rubber strips from? I have just taken delivery of a spoiler from typerkits but it didn't come with any rubber strips or silicone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts