2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you get a very loud metallic grating sound, then the odds are you have a stone stuck in a brake disk. If it doesn't pop out it a few miles, it may stay there forever, grinding and clanking away.
  • Slacken the wheel nuts off half a turn.
  • Jack the car up and remove the wheel.
  • Have a look at the photos below - the stone should be at the bottom. You need to move the bottom of the disk outwards slightly to release it, so:
  • Unscrew the 2 large screws holding the disk on.
  • Carefully ease the bottom of the disk outwards, just enough to let the stone drop out.
  • Be careful, as the disk is still between the calipers, and you don't want to damage anything.
  • Replace everything, making sure both the disk and the wheel are well located when you do them up.
Be aware that fiddling with the brakes has its dangers - you do this at your own risk (obv).

stone1.jpg

stone2.jpg

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Pottsy I hope that I am not tempting fate, but why do you seem to get so many stones stuck in your brakes? :?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I keep getting this from gravel parking spot at work. Grrr. Design fault IMO.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
disc covers?

Copycat,
I was also wondering what it is for and why not every Civic has it installed. As far as I know it is not an option, so why some cars have it and some not. Especially when it might have an influence on protecting brakes against stones getting stucked in there.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
4gotten,

Originally, I thought it was down to which model you have, but then I saw Jodeco's Belgian car (http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2228) which is a Sport like mine and he has them whilst I don't :confused:

From checking out gallery pics, it appears most mainland European owners don't have them (i.e. Sport versions of cars in Finland, Hungary, Czech Republic etc), whilst more UK owners do (perhaps ES, EX models have them fitted as standard?)

Anyway, aren't they just there to give the appearance of chunkier discs? Or perhaps, given the nature of this thread, they're a neat way to collect stones for a nice new gravel drive!

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
It all depends on the factory installed rimms, 17" gets them 16" don't.
The 17" get them because otherwise the gap becomes too big.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Hi. I have this metal disc around the brakes and I'm looking to find answers from others if they can fit the spare wheel while those discs are on. I've tried over 5 different spacesavers but non of them fit. I ordered one from Honda which is made for this particular car 1.8 EX. No luck. Even the dealer can't figure out what is the solution to this. :) Please let me know if you can put on the spacesavers, or we might be fooled to carry the spare wheel which is useless when needed.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Does this noise happen when coming to a stop (applying brakes at under 15mph) or all of the time?
I've got a noise and don't know what on earth it is!

·
Resident Civinfo Nutter
4,451 Posts
Hmm I have noticed I have this random noise coming from the rear tyre when I reach a certain speed..and also when applying the brakes...hoping its just a stone >_<

Thanks for the guide Pottsy, will be takiing a look at this when I get a day off!

·
Nneeaawwwwwwww
443 Posts
I get loads of stones stuck in my front brakes, just swerve from side to side on a quiet road and that usually sorts it for me. Definitely a design flaw.

·
Registered
1 Posts
stone in disk/brake

Well, with the help of this post and reading the handbook (in Spanish) my husband took the wheel off (he knew obviously how to do that!) and we located the stone which was about the size of a pea. He eased it out gently without having to remove anything else. Thanks a lot as this happened to us last year and it was a garage job! Very easy to follow your instructions. Mags.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts