2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My car has been laid up for 14 weeks, went out to start and it's dead as a dohdoh.

Are there special procedures that need to be considered to remove the battery for charging? or is it like a conventional earth and neutral.

Any help would be fully appreciated.

Thanks

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
Don't play with the battery while the keys are in the ignition. Some cars have been known to immobilise themselves while jump starting if the keys are in the ignition while the cables are attached. So to play safe keep the keys on you. Other than that its as easy as it sounds.

sent from fraggle rock.

Reactions: AJTwin

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Don't play with the battery while the keys are in the ignition. Some cars have been known to immobilise themselves while jump starting if the keys are in the ignition while the cables are attached. So to play safe keep the keys on you. Other than that its as easy as it sounds.

sent from fraggle rock.
+1 did this on my last car somehow, had to get it unlocked.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts

sent from fraggle rock.
Am I missing something here. How do you jumpstart the car without using the key...?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Am I missing something here. How do you jumpstart the car without using the key...?
I was told by Honda that you only need to remove the keys whilst attaching the jump leads, when everything is connected up you can then attempt a start. The immobiliser problem stems from the electrics suddenly going live whilst the keys are in the ignition as the system resets itself.

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
^^what he said.

sent from fraggle rock.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Hey.

A former mechanic friend has always told me that when jump starting a car it's a good idea to have the head lights on, as the bulbs help smooth any sudden spikes in power that could potentially kill an ECU.

Luckily never had to jump start my car yet, but the battery is on the way out :-(

Ian

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
I was told by Honda that you only need to remove the keys whilst attaching the jump leads, when everything is connected up you can then attempt a start. The immobiliser problem stems from the electrics suddenly going live whilst the keys are in the ignition as the system resets itself.
Okay that part makes sense. I was thinking, how do you start the car without the key...

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I am having problems with my battery too. The car hasn't been used very often following an operation I had in September maybe once every 2-4 weeks my brother has taken it for a 10-15 mile drive. Last week it wouldn't start so I put it on fast charge with the battery still connected it started after an hour or so it was taken out then Saturday it's dead again so I wanted to take the battery out of the car and give it an overnight charge as it's not ideal leaving the bonnet up and battery charger outside with the weather being as it has recently.

My concern is with the radio code will the code be needed? (Not in the book pack). Are there any other issues taking the battery off for that long? Also will it reset the trip computer as I have been running trip A per tank of fuel and trip B since I bought the car. Not the end of the world but I liked keeping track of how it's going on MPG wise etc.

I suspect the battery will probably need replacing but as I am some way off using the car regular myself I just wanted to keep this one until then to save a new one becoming flat. Battery check carried out by Honda in Sept said it was good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I was unsure as all my previous cars did and as the radio code section was blank in my book pack thought I best check.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts