2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would do a quick how2 on this to show everyone really how easy it is to change these bushes and how worn mine were after 55,000 miles.

Parts replacing:

- 24mm (FN2) anti roll bar bushes (also known as sway bushes or stabiliser bar bushes)

Tools required:

- Jack
- Axle stands (pair)
- Ratchet/spanner 16mm socket (IIRC)

Method:

- Break nuts on front wheels
- Jack both front sides up and stick on axle stands
- Remove front wheels
- Starting on one side undo the 3 bolts and remove the metal holder
- Once the holder is removed you can slide the bush off the roll bar
- Slide the new bush in its place

Fitting everything back is just the reverse of removal. If you struggle to slide the bush off the roll bar you may need to undo one of the bolts on the drop links to loosen the roll bar a bit more.

Old vs. new bush.

The bushes look like they will never come out. However, they are very flexible and easily slide off and the new one slides on just as easy.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Ah ok so thats the front subframe area. I can see the slit in the old bush but where is the slit on new one? Is that a Honda part?

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Same place if you look closely - OEM Honda parts Ash.

20mins a corner Max and you can remove that plate if it helps:) don't even need to remove the wheel to save time :)

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
So the next question is how do you tell if the bush is knackered?

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
jack the car up and have a look at the bush, mine had 30k on them or so and there was a visible gap between the ARB and the bush indicating excessive play.

I suppose its a judgement call

·
The flying Dutchman
967 Posts
what are the "complaints" when they are worn out?
mine is at 160.000KM and as far as i can tell, never been replaced.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Did anyone have honda part number for anti roll bushes? How much are they? Thanks.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Are these bushes just on the Type R? Or are they on all the civic models?
All Civics have these, although sizes might be different ?

Like the 'drop links', best changed at max. every 50k miles / 80k km - preventive maintenance is always a good idea

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Do the bolts need a specific torque?
I don't know the specific torque of these, but they feel about the same as your normal wheel nuts. There weren't very tight and easy to take off.

I recommend taking the plate full off, its a bit awkward pulling to old bush out, just pull it outward then down and it'll come out.
Put some rubber grease on your new one and it'll slip back in a lot easier.
When its on it may look too small, but just put the plate back on and screw it in and it'll all tighten up and go into the right shape.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts