2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Both front suspensions need to be off the ground and 'relaxed' otherwise the anti roll bar will be under tension and possibly be dangerous when you undo the bush mounts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Yeah this is how I did mine..one side up and the wheel off..might be a bit fiddly to get the bush off but just drop the frame and all is good..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
947 Posts

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Where is the best place to position axle stands to relieve tension from the suspension?

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Managed to replace the bushes and drop links this weekend with some help and tools from my dad..one thing we did notice is the driver side subframe had one bolt bigger than the other. We weren't sure which hole it came from..it couldn't be the far rear bolt as it wouldn't fit so we tried the middle and front, ended up going for the Middle..anyway since driving the car there is a slightly clunk sound coming from the front driver side when turning right..so when all the load shifts to the left. It sounds like something is catching so can only assume it could be the bolt? Anyone had an experience with this?? I don't think it's anything on the drop link as we've fitted them before an never had a problem? This was the first time we've done the bolts on the subframe. Alarmingly on the passenger all the subframe bolts were the same size...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i found the exact same thing last night, since fitting my bushes ive had creaking etc which i heard was normal but recently its becoming very cluncky, had a look underneath last night and could see a gap on rear of the plate, jacked it up removed all bolts and found one was slightly longer then the rest, i moved this bolt to the front hole and then refitted the plate and its all snug now with no creaking!

the bolt is about 3-5mm longer then the others.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Just changed arb bushes, I found that plenty of spray gease helps get the old off and the new on. Also, i found that the tool from the little jack in the boot comes in handy to use as a pry bar when pushing the new ones into place as its a round loop and allows you to put pressure on almost all sides simultaneously. Thought I would share this in case it helps someone else

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread here, if you are going to do this remove all the parts holding the anti-roll bar in place and drop the antiroll bar. I fitted these in about 20-30 minutes once the bar was hanging.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi.

Where can I get replacement bushing for my FN2.
My 2008 CTR has quite a squeaky suspension and I'm guessing it's the bushing.
Do you know where I could purchase new bushing.?
Any information appreciated.

Chris

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
Hi.

Where can I get replacement bushing for my FN2.
My 2008 CTR has quite a squeaky suspension and I'm guessing it's the bushing.
Do you know where I could purchase new bushing.?
Any information appreciated.

Chris
Cox, Hendy, etc. Check their websites, forum loyalty scheme, etc. They aren't expensive and are quite an easy swap.

Whilst your under there, drop the sub frame plates off, clean em up, regrease and refit. This'll help prevent the subframe clicking ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
It took me about an hour to do this from start to finish today.

I found it much easier to disconnect the ARB from the drop-links on both sides the bar was then 'floating' so you were able to move it around which made taking the old bushes and putting the new ones on much easier.

Some advice which may be helpful to others:
1) The FK3 uses 23mm bushes (not sure if the FN3 is the same)
2) Honda list the bushes for the 2006-2007 diesel as 06510-SMJ-305. For the 2007-2011 diesel the part numbers listed are 51306-SMJ-E11 & 51307-SMJ-E11. These bushes fit the 2006-2007 model as I believe these 2 part numbers are just supersession.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Cox, Hendy, etc. Check their websites, forum loyalty scheme, etc. They aren't expensive and are quite an easy swap.

Whilst your under there, drop the sub frame plates off, clean em up, regrease and refit. This'll help prevent the subframe clicking ;)
What grease would you use on the sub frame plate?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Reactions: Farqui

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
never been a lover of using grease on rubber bushes when trying to fit them in place iv'e always used washing up liquid
it's a tip i picked up the best part of 40 years ago i can't remember where from

my way of looking at this is rubber bushes be it ARB or other are not meant to be greased, they don't come fitted from factory with grease and any sort of permanent lubricant ( grease for example ) would hinder there performance.
if we take ARB's for example the job of the bush is to grip the bar minimising it's movement if we grease the bush we compromise the bushes ability to grip the bar. washing up liquid on the other hand is not a lubricant but it does make the bush a damn sight easer to put in place and can be rinsed away leaving no residue, you cant really do that with grease without using other chemicals ( gunk for example ) to get rid of it

my whole line of though might be a load of ******** but it's just my way of thinking about it

121 - 140 of 157 Posts