2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

How to replace front anti roll bar bushes

102K views 188 replies 62 participants last post by  toyracer69 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought I would do a quick how2 on this to show everyone really how easy it is to change these bushes and how worn mine were after 55,000 miles.

Parts replacing:

- 24mm (FN2) anti roll bar bushes (also known as sway bushes or stabiliser bar bushes)

Tools required:

- Jack
- Axle stands (pair)
- Ratchet/spanner 16mm socket (IIRC)

Method:

- Break nuts on front wheels
- Jack both front sides up and stick on axle stands
- Remove front wheels
- Starting on one side undo the 3 bolts and remove the metal holder
- Once the holder is removed you can slide the bush off the roll bar
- Slide the new bush in its place

Fitting everything back is just the reverse of removal. If you struggle to slide the bush off the roll bar you may need to undo one of the bolts on the drop links to loosen the roll bar a bit more.

Old vs. new bush.

The bushes look like they will never come out. However, they are very flexible and easily slide off and the new one slides on just as easy.

See less See more
#7 ·
what are the "complaints" when they are worn out?
mine is at 160.000KM and as far as i can tell, never been replaced.

#10 ·
Did anyone have honda part number for anti roll bushes? How much are they? Thanks.

#13 ·
All Civics have these, although sizes might be different ?

Like the 'drop links', best changed at max. every 50k miles / 80k km - preventive maintenance is always a good idea

#20 ·
I don't know the specific torque of these, but they feel about the same as your normal wheel nuts. There weren't very tight and easy to take off.

I recommend taking the plate full off, its a bit awkward pulling to old bush out, just pull it outward then down and it'll come out.
Put some rubber grease on your new one and it'll slip back in a lot easier.
When its on it may look too small, but just put the plate back on and screw it in and it'll all tighten up and go into the right shape.

#23 ·
There are some 22mm ones on ebay poly bush ones. Thats why i was asking if anyone knew the size for the 2.2 diesel. Would be more of a benefit fitting these as they would last aot longer and help to improve the ride that little bit more.

#24 ·
As far as I know, the EBay link I posted was for 22mm ones.
They fit the 2.2 diesel. That's what I have and they are the ones I bought.

They seems slightly smaller than the ones that I took off the car, but once you tightened everything up its a snug fit.

My civic seems sturdier over speed bumps. I used to clip the floor after going over certain ones but haven't since.

#27 ·
Its this ones for diesel? thanks.

#31 ·
Fitted mine today on my 2.2. Gotta say, if I'm honest I had a nightmare doing them. Maybe this was because I bought polybushes and they were really tough and firm. I found soaking the new bushes in boiling water and using lots of grease did the trick on the drivers side, although it was still no essy task. There just wasn't enough room to push the new bush on, the passenger side was worse, I ended up loosening off the drop link thinking I'd get that tiny bit of extra room but it didn't seem to help. I got it in in the end but managed to chew up the torque bit up on my drop link. Now the cars still on axle stands until I can get new drop links tomorrow lol

New polybushes:

Eventually fitted: