2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my standard halogen headlights and front position lights with xenon bulbs on my 2.2 i-CDTI SE. This was my first time at replacing bulbs and the entire process took around 2 hours. :eek: Although, it would have taken me a lot less time had I knew exactly how to access and remove the low beam (H7) covers.

First of all the Civic 5 door manual is incorrect with the headlight specifications. The correct specifications are:

Headlights:
- High beam = H1 type bulbs
- Low beam = H7 type bulbs

Front position lights = 501/W5W type bulbs

I replaced my halogen bulbs with Xenon Philips Blue Vision ones. You can buy them from Autobulbsdirect which currently offers a free gift when you spend over £15 per order and they have free delivery. So, if you replace both H1 and H7 bulbs you can make two orders and receive two free gifts. Unfortunately, I got my H1 Blue Vision bulbs from Powerbulbs.co.uk expecting a free pack of Philips sidelight bulbs as advertised but never received one. Contacted Powerbulbs and they refuse to send me the free gift and said the H1 pack already contains them. So I complained to Philips and they said they will investigate this matter of misrepresentation.

TIP: Before you replace any bulbs on the car I suggest you have the engine turned OFF and ensure the key is NOT in the ignition slot.

Replacing high beam headlights (H1) and position lights (W5W) - easy

LHS (i.e. battery side)
1. Open bonnet
2. No need to move battery. Just remove the H1 black plastic cover by turning anti-clockwise. (TIP: be careful not to drop the cover)
3. Remove the electrical connector by pulling straight back. Apart from the bulb there is another connector on top which I pulled back as well to give me more working space.
4. Unclip the hold-down wire and pivot out of the way.
5. Remove bulb (TIP: always handle bulb by its base, avoid contact with your skin, and remember the bulb angle position so you know which way round to insert the new one).
6. Insert new bulb into the hole.
7. Pivot the hold-down wire back down and clip the end into place.
8. The position light bulb is below the high-beam one and to replace it you need to first remove the socket from the headlight assembly. This involves turning it anti-clockwise until it is vertical and then pulling it out. Then simply pull the bulb straight out of the socket, push new bulb in and insert back into headlight assembly.
9. Push the H1 connector back onto the new bulb and also reinstall the other connector on top.
10. At this point it would be good to test whether the lights work.
11. If they do, put back the cover and turn clockwise to lock.

RHS (i.e. expansion tank side)
1. Same method as LHS above except you do NOT need to remove the 2 coolant tubes from their clips to remove the H1 cover.

Replacing low beam headlights (H7) - more challenging

LHS (i.e. battery side)
1. Open bonnet
2. Unless you have a large pair of hands then there is no need to move the battery for more working space. Turn the H1 cover anti-clockwise to remove. Holding it carefully, slowly move the cover around the side of the battery compartment and lift out. (TIP: the battery compartment is more flexible than the cover itself, so pushing the battery compartment from the side and pulling the cover at the same time does make it easier to remove the cover).
3. Remove the electrical connector from the bulb by pulling the connector straight back.
4. Unclip the hold-down wire, pivot out of the way and remove bulb from slot.
5. Insert the new bulb into its hole, pivot the hold-down wire and clip the end into its slot.
6. Push the electrical connector onto the new bulb and ensure it is connected securely.
7. At this point it would be good to test whether the lights work.
8. If they do, put back the cover and turn clockwise to lock.

RHS (i.e. expansion tank side)
1. Open bonnet
2. Remove coolant tubes from the two clips (no need to remove the over flow tube). Remove expansion tank from its holder by pushing tab at the back (windscreen side) and pulling the tank up. You really need to pull the tank out onto its holders and tilt it to give you enough hand access to the cover (see attached photo). Took me a while to figure this out and at one point I considered giving up. Remove the H7 cover by turning it anti-clockwise and lift the cover out. You will need to squeeze it through the fat tubes to get it out and be careful not to drop it.
3. Follow LHS instructions from 3 to 8 to complete the bulb replacement.

Good luck! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am sure you are aware that these bulb are xenon look and not true xenon hid bulbs, as these require a choke operating at many 1000's volts to start them. A true xenon conversion will cost over £100 for just 2 bulbs and chokes then you have to fit it all in :?

look here

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
When I bought my Sport in April it was the only vehicle with HID fitted as standard - seems they are now included on the EX - which seems a lot dearer (diff was £300 now £1500).

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
My mistake - why the h*ll did I go for the sport at only £300 less???? The 18" Storm wheels weren't an option originally on the EX that’s for sure

:(

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Miggins said:
My mistake - why the h*ll did I go for the sport at only £300 less???? The 18" Storm wheels weren't an option originally on the EX that’s for sure

:(
Erm....
I ordered my EX with 18" storms in April too...

Not 'originally' I guess, but close.

Sorry!

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
good guide well done looks like its hassle time like on my present car to replace bulbs and 1 tip i will give is to make sure the bulbs fits firmily in the holder 1 of my headlamp clips got tried and let the buld full into the lamp cost me £60 to get it out had to take headlight out :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
hi.... you know the steel trims around the brake calipers, can they be bought an fitted after you`ve already had the car without them on....???
I understand the factory fitted these items when they supplied the cars with optional 18" rims.......

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
hi.... you know the steel trims around the brake calipers, can they be bought an fitted after you`ve already had the car without them on....???
I understand the factory fitted these items when they supplied the cars with optional 18" rims.......

Don't know if they can be bought separately but they are fitted to all EX cars (17'' Wheels).

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Whats theses brake trims for ? is it for extra cooling or looks or ???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Whats theses brake trims for ? is it for extra cooling or looks or ???
Hiya....the break trims are just for show m8, thev`re fitted to the caliper mounting points ect, when larger wheels have been fitted, to appear as if the car has larger break discs.......looks cool, but haven`t spoke to anyone who`s fitted then after they have already had the car.
If anyone else finds out more info on this matter, i`d be greatful to to hear bout it........
Cheers guys.............and gals.

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Hiya....the break trims are just for show m8, thev`re fitted to the caliper mounting points ect, when larger wheels have been fitted, to appear as if the car has larger break discs.......looks cool, but haven`t spoke to anyone who`s fitted then after they have already had the car.
If anyone else finds out more info on this matter, i`d be greatful to to hear bout it........
Cheers guys.............and gals.

I want to hear from anyone who has 18" wheels and has considered fitting larger brakes - not that the Civ needs them :). Type-R donor anyone?

If it ain't broke..............

Managed to adjust my HID lights up a bit but they are still not that good on dipped beam on the back roads - quite scary to be honest at the . . . . er legal limit on a derestricted road!

see: Think I found the adjusters for the HID Lights

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thx for the guide.

When the bulbs I've ordered arrive I'll fiddle around a bit.

Piccies from parking light & high beam I ordered.

Thought some others might like the link. Apparantly they are really nice and beat the **** out of Blue Vision etc which are still slightly yellowish.

I'll post some homemade picies when I get my bulbs sent...

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
yer i changed my side lights and going to change the full beam ones when they blow got some ice whites to go in, they looked super on 307 will go nicely with the rest of the blue blubs , be nice to see your pics misterpro see what other pepole have gone for while your under the bonnet mite want to raise your lights up so you get more light on the road on dipped.

1 - 20 of 227 Posts