2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Follow this guide at your own risk. I've attempted to make it as straightforward as possible but can't promise that I've covered every detail.

To replace the original centre light panel for a CTR one on a pre-2009 Civic usually we have to also replace the brake light panel on the driver's side. I didn't have one of those, so I'll be covering off an alternative method.

So, we start with the old panel.

Firstly we need to get at the bolts; and there are two options for this. Firstly, remove the interior panels starting from the outside and moving in.

I was quite firm with these and the clips are not as fragile as other places. Use a flathead screwdriver on the outer edge - there is an indentation for it - and once that's free just pull it away.

With the panels off, you can see the bulb mounts and nuts holding the panel in.

Unfortunately, some of these are blocked by the plastic of the boot panel.

If you think you can get at these then go for it, as you'll then not have to remove the boot panel. If you can't, and I couldn't, then the boot panel is coming off!

Undo the screws in the handles

note that the rounded-rectangular panel in the middle doesn't cover up any mounting screws so can stay in place

Here's a few photos of the panel from the back

Take a REALLY GOOD LOOK at where those white pins are, you want to be applying your pulling force directly on top of them. If you don't then this happens.

Put the seats down, lift the false floor and get in the boot.
Start at one of the bottom corners - don't use the handle to pull (that was my mistake!), get some leverage underneath the bottom edge below the plastic pin and pull directly away. Once this is done, you can work your way around the edges. Some areas are flexible and some require a lot of force to pull away, but they all do. Don't forget the two underneath by the latch

both of mine stayed in the metalwork rather than the plastic so I had to take these out with pliers and put them back into the boot panel.

That's by far the most difficult bit, so if you've done that then well done - smooth sailing from here!

With the entire back now visible

we can start undoing the nuts. They're all actually very easy to remove with only two of them being threadlocked on to secure the handle section.
There's three on each of the side light panels

and 10 for the centre light.

Two of these are hidden and are accessible through holes in the metalwork

Disconnect all the wiring for the centre light panel.

Back outside the car, pull away the brake light panels from the outside edge

until the locating tabs are free of the centre light panel

And then simply pull out the centre panel!

Swap over the bulbs (they twist and pull out, some are tight fits and a pair of pliers was useful here).
Put the new panel in place, and redo the bolts inside.

This is where you options are twofold. If you've got a replacement brake light panel with the fog light in it, replace that panel now - otherwise replace the original lights and bolt those in.

Back in the boot.

Strip back the tape on the wiring loom. If you've got the replacement fog light panel, you'll need enough slack to connect it and then you're done.
If you haven't, then you can use one of the reverse light mounts (the one on the driver's side to ensure it's legal) for a fog light. Therefore get enough slack on the fog light cable to reach the reverse light mount.

Next, take a good look at the plastic connector. You'll see that part of it can be removed - go ahead and do so with a small blade or flathead screwdriver.

This will get you access inside the connector.
With a pin/nail press down the white plastic tabs

and pull out the yellow and black wires. Put the plastic connector aside, you won't need it again for this but if you ever install the proper fog light you will need it!

Next, take the reverse light connector and remove the plastic centre pin.

It's halfway out in this photo to demonstrate the removal.
This one is a little more tricky as the pins are on their side, meaning you'll need to get that pin/nail inside the connector to lift the plastic tabs out of the way. Unfortunately I couldn't get a picture as it's such a small space but take your time and look at it - and you'll see how they are held in place.
Once you've got the brown and black wires out, replace them with the yellow and black ones from the fog light connection.

Now you've got your fog light connected to the reverse light connector.
Simply apply a red bulb

and away you go. If you haven't got a red one, you can always paint the original one red!
Tape off the now loose reverse light wires - don't want any short circuits - and tape them onto the wiring loom so they won't get in the way.

Insert your new fog light into it's home in the reverse light, and connect everything up.

Test it all out, and then it's simply a matter of tidying up the wiring (i.e. retaping the loom) and replacing the plastics inside. The plastics are a little tricky to fit due to lining them up, but once they're in place they will require firm pressure to reattach all the pins.
Don't forget the two screws by the handles, and that's a job well done.

Done! :beerglass:

Attachments

·
Living the dream!
8,545 Posts
Good guide but i would have just used a spanner rather thand remove all the boot panel and i guess you wish you had now that you now need another panel?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good guide but i would have just used a spanner rather thand remove all the boot panel and i guess you wish you had now that you now need another panel?
Too right! Good job I was in the boot with the lid down because I didn't exactly hold back on the cursing when that happened... I've always been one for learning lessons the hard way. :( I couldn't find my 8mm spanner so thought "How hard can this be?" - hence my recommendation in the guide that says if you can do it without removing the panel - do so!

the foglamp bit will work if youre using flyeyes or a sumo vinyl
Good point. Didn't think of that but might save someone some hassle :)

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Good wite up mate and well documented, maybe you can give me a hand when I do this in the future, so I don't crack my boot panel lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
im attempting to change mine right at this moment in time. likewise i am stuck trying to get to some of those nuts. however i dont fancy attempting to pull off that boot panel. hopefully i can get to this screws with a spanner, which so far has been VERY frustrating and aswkward to get to.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im attempting to change mine right at this moment in time. likewise i am stuck trying to get to some of those nuts. however i dont fancy attempting to pull off that boot panel. hopefully i can get to this screws with a spanner, which so far has been VERY frustrating and aswkward to get to.
A ring spanner might be helpful and meet your requirements.

To be honest I've had my boot panel off a few times and the key is making sure it's warm (and therefore flexible) first!
Of course now I know where the pins are I know where to put the pressure...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the write up Syx. Managed to remove the rear cluster without removing the panel. Though I must admit, you got to be careful when removing the nuts.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Cheers for the write up mate. I'll be using this in a few weeks. Was just about to PM you but then found this thread.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for the write up mate. I'll be using this in a few weeks. Was just about to PM you but then found this thread.
Don't hesitate to drop me a PM if you get stuck :)

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Hey there syx just bought one of theSe light pAnels just wonderedwhat the replacementfog light panel looks like. Many thanks in advance

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no need to take the whole plastic off! just the covers (for replacing the bulbs) is enough!
In order to get access to the wiring loom for the re-wiring, you may need to take off the whole plastic... but if you can do it without then that's preferred!

Hey there syx just bought one of theSe light pAnels just wonderedwhat the replacementfog light panel looks like. Many thanks in advance
They have two "sections" inside the brake light panel rather than one - if that makes sense?
There's also two bulb openings for a sidelight and a fog light.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
The foglights are the bits either side of centre section. If so I have the replacements which have the two compartments. How does this make my fitting different to yours

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The foglights are the bits either side of centre section. If so I have the replacements which have the two compartments. How does this make my fitting different to yours
That's correct.

What you need to do in that case is simply tap into the existing fog light connection and connect it to the one for the new housing - i.e. don't do any of the wiring stuff I've demonstrated above.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Hi there centre light all installed now I just have a question. I have the new fog lights however the tail lights don't fit in like they should on the new lights any ideas. Can u buy the smaller connectors

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi there centre light all installed now I just have a question. I have the new fog lights however the tail lights don't fit in like they should on the new lights any ideas. Can u buy the smaller connectors
Do you have the bulb mounts for the replacement lights, or just the housing for them? If you have the bulb mounts you can tap into the existing wiring.

If you don't, then they are available here, #3 for fog and #4 for sidelight
Honda Car Parts / Choose by Model / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Used this guide to fit mine yesterday. I tried so god damn hard to do it without pulling the plastic off but gave up in the end. Its next to impossible. And it's so hard to pull the plastic off :p got there in the end though and wouldn't have attempted it if it wasn't for this thread. Keep up the good work pal. ?

Sent on iphone via tapatalk

1 - 20 of 117 Posts