2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
just about to tackle my central light panel, ( broken by kids + cricket bat ) got one off ebay, looks identical. dont fancy removing hatch panel, so will see how it goes. but thanks to all for great advice on this subject

·
Registered
2 Posts
Follow this guide at your own risk. I've attempted to make it as straightforward as possible but can't promise that I've covered every detail.

To replace the original centre light panel for a CTR one on a pre-2009 Civic usually we have to also replace the brake light panel on the driver's side. I didn't have one of those, so I'll be covering off an alternative method.

So, we start with the old panel.

Firstly we need to get at the bolts; and there are two options for this. Firstly, remove the interior panels starting from the outside and moving in.

I was quite firm with these and the clips are not as fragile as other places. Use a flathead screwdriver on the outer edge - there is an indentation for it - and once that's free just pull it away.

With the panels off, you can see the bulb mounts and nuts holding the panel in.

Unfortunately, some of these are blocked by the plastic of the boot panel.

If you think you can get at these then go for it, as you'll then not have to remove the boot panel. If you can't, and I couldn't, then the boot panel is coming off!

Undo the screws in the handles

note that the rounded-rectangular panel in the middle doesn't cover up any mounting screws so can stay in place

Here's a few photos of the panel from the back

Take a REALLY GOOD LOOK at where those white pins are, you want to be applying your pulling force directly on top of them. If you don't then this happens.

Put the seats down, lift the false floor and get in the boot.
Start at one of the bottom corners - don't use the handle to pull (that was my mistake!), get some leverage underneath the bottom edge below the plastic pin and pull directly away. Once this is done, you can work your way around the edges. Some areas are flexible and some require a lot of force to pull away, but they all do. Don't forget the two underneath by the latch

both of mine stayed in the metalwork rather than the plastic so I had to take these out with pliers and put them back into the boot panel.

That's by far the most difficult bit, so if you've done that then well done - smooth sailing from here!

With the entire back now visible

we can start undoing the nuts. They're all actually very easy to remove with only two of them being threadlocked on to secure the handle section.
There's three on each of the side light panels

and 10 for the centre light.

Two of these are hidden and are accessible through holes in the metalwork

Disconnect all the wiring for the centre light panel.

Back outside the car, pull away the brake light panels from the outside edge

until the locating tabs are free of the centre light panel

And then simply pull out the centre panel!

Swap over the bulbs (they twist and pull out, some are tight fits and a pair of pliers was useful here).
Put the new panel in place, and redo the bolts inside.

This is where you options are twofold. If you've got a replacement brake light panel with the fog light in it, replace that panel now - otherwise replace the original lights and bolt those in.

Back in the boot.

Strip back the tape on the wiring loom. If you've got the replacement fog light panel, you'll need enough slack to connect it and then you're done.
If you haven't, then you can use one of the reverse light mounts (the one on the driver's side to ensure it's legal) for a fog light. Therefore get enough slack on the fog light cable to reach the reverse light mount.

Next, take a good look at the plastic connector. You'll see that part of it can be removed - go ahead and do so with a small blade or flathead screwdriver.

This will get you access inside the connector.
With a pin/nail press down the white plastic tabs

and pull out the yellow and black wires. Put the plastic connector aside, you won't need it again for this but if you ever install the proper fog light you will need it!

Next, take the reverse light connector and remove the plastic centre pin.

It's halfway out in this photo to demonstrate the removal.
This one is a little more tricky as the pins are on their side, meaning you'll need to get that pin/nail inside the connector to lift the plastic tabs out of the way. Unfortunately I couldn't get a picture as it's such a small space but take your time and look at it - and you'll see how they are held in place.
Once you've got the brown and black wires out, replace them with the yellow and black ones from the fog light connection.

Now you've got your fog light connected to the reverse light connector.
Simply apply a red bulb

and away you go. If you haven't got a red one, you can always paint the original one red!
Tape off the now loose reverse light wires - don't want any short circuits - and tape them onto the wiring loom so they won't get in the way.

Insert your new fog light into it's home in the reverse light, and connect everything up.

Test it all out, and then it's simply a matter of tidying up the wiring (i.e. retaping the loom) and replacing the plastics inside. The plastics are a little tricky to fit due to lining them up, but once they're in place they will require firm pressure to reattach all the pins.
Don't forget the two screws by the handles, and that's a job well done.

Done! :beerglass:

managed to do job without removing panel, bit of a faff, but iff you take your time not too bad. used 8 mm open/ring spanner + socket. had to drill 2 small holes in panel to access the 2 nuts inside the metalwork, just large enough to pass the socket. these holes will be covered when the access panels are refitted. found guide a great help / THANKS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your absolutely right about being careful removing the nuts. I've got 2 rattling around in the bottom of the hatch after I dropped them trying to put them back on.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Put my type r strip on today,managed to do it by only using a small 8 mm spanner,took the brake lights out and cleaned all the gunk from the edges and refitted them,time consuming but I met the challenge,still got to do syx's fog light mod but happy with things so far,I posted a want for the indicators too.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I had it off a member on here,they crop up quite regular.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Would it be a straight swap as in undo the bolts then do them up again if I was to change my rear light centre cluster on my fk3 to the type r fn2 rear light cluster?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Would it be a straight swap as in undo the bolts then do them up again if I was to change my rear light centre cluster on my fk3 to the type r fn2 rear light cluster?
2006 FK3? Then no, as you will currently have your fog light in the centre cluster and will need to ensure that it is replaced (either via the method in this guide or with the updated fog light housing) to remain road-legal.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
right after reading this thread numerous times can anyone confirm what i think is right.......

once the rear panel is fitted the reverse lights are a straight fit with no mods needed. the pre-facelift has brake and side lights in the indicator units and the units next to the center panel as mine does. once the face-lift fog/side units are fitted the existing brake/side connector and bulb will fit if a bit is shaved off the connector allowing it to fit in the back of the light unit (i did this with the Type R indicator units as well). then we have the fog light which will need to be extended to reach its new location and a new bulb holder fitted so it can fit the facelift unit. so we end up with 4 brake lights, 4 side lights, 2 reverse lights and 1 fog light and a nice grey/silver rear panel.....

right or wrong?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
right after reading this thread numerous times can anyone confirm what i think is right.......

once the rear panel is fitted the reverse lights are a straight fit with no mods needed. the pre-facelift has brake and side lights in the indicator units and the units next to the center panel as mine does. once the face-lift fog/side units are fitted the existing brake/side connector and bulb will fit if a bit is shaved off the connector allowing it to fit in the back of the light unit (i did this with the Type R indicator units as well). then we have the fog light which will need to be extended to reach its new location and a new bulb holder fitted so it can fit the facelift unit. so we end up with 4 brake lights, 4 side lights, 2 reverse lights and 1 fog light and a nice grey/silver rear panel.....

right or wrong?
Almost.

The face-lift fog/side unit only takes a sidelight bulb, not a dual filament side & brake bulb.
Your options are:
1) Butcher the housing to allow the fatter bulb to fit and retain the brake light
2) Connect the new bulb connector to the wiring for the sidelight from the old
connector and have only a sidelight working.

I did option 2, so you and up with 2 brake lights, 4 side lights, 2 reverse lights and 1 fog light.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
when i fitted my clear indicator units to get the bulb holder to fit i just trimmed part of the holder off so the tabs fit in the smaller space and held it in place (some cut the actual unit itself so the tabs would fit). with these fog/side light units could i do the same or is the hole size the issue which wont allow fitment of the dual bulb? Ive just bought Horizon Cree LED's which are great so if they wont fit then im a bit put off changing the panel tbh.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
When I did mine, the brake light bulb will go into the new brake/fog lamp, u just have to remove a tiny bit around where the bulb holder goes into the lamp, or a tiny bit off the holder itself, so that gets u up and running while u decide what to do about the fog.
:
this sounds like what i did with the indicator units

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
when i fitted my clear indicator units to get the bulb holder to fit i just trimmed part of the holder off so the tabs fit in the smaller space and held it in place (some cut the actual unit itself so the tabs would fit). with these fog/side light units could i do the same or is the hole size the issue which wont allow fitment of the dual bulb? Ive just bought Horizon Cree LED's which are great so if they wont fit then im a bit put off changing the panel tbh.
It was probably my guide you followed for the indicators. In that situation, the hole was large enough but the tab slots were incorrect.

In this case, the hole isn't large enough to allow a dual filament bulb for the side/brake light. You would have to enlarge the hole and then cut new tab slots for it to fit. If you're happy to do that then go for it! Someone else already did I think... but I wasn't keen to cut the hole any larger on mine.

Not quite sure what you mean about the CREE LEDs, are they dual-purpose side/brake lights? Looking at the Horizon website I can only see single-purpose bulbs.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
this sounds like what i did with the indicator units
There's the guy I was thinking of... so that's an option for you (option 1 that I mentioned earlier).

I didn't go for this because I wasn't happy cutting the housing as I didn't know what this would mean for fitting the smaller bulb holder back in, and it also means you don't have the correct light setup for the "CTR look".

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
It was probably my guide you followed for the indicators. In that situation, the hole was large enough but the tab slots were incorrect.

In this case, the hole isn't large enough to allow a dual filament bulb for the side/brake light. You would have to enlarge the hole and then cut new tab slots for it to fit. If you're happy to do that then go for it! Someone else already did I think... but I wasn't keen to cut the hole any larger on mine.

Not quite sure what you mean about the CREE LEDs, are they dual-purpose side/brake lights? Looking at the Horizon website I can only see single-purpose bulbs.
yeah it was your guide i followed, thanks:) but instead i cut the tabs on the holder.

the Horizon dual Cree i have fitted is this -

T20 - 7443/3157 : T20/7443 - CREE LED 16W

im a bit put off now tbh as i would like the Type R look with the existing brake/tail/reverse set up i currently have....

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
yeah it was your guide i followed, thanks:) but instead i cut the tabs on the holder.

the Horizon dual Cree i have fitted is this -

T20 - 7443/3157 : T20/7443 - CREE LED 16W

im a bit put off now tbh as i would like the Type R look with the existing brake/tail/reverse set up i currently have....

That bulb is a replacement for a single filament bulb as far as I can see... And therefore will not be suitable as a dual brake/sidelight.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
i have these on my car already and they are dual bulbs. below is taken from the Horizon website -

Below are the key features of this T20/7443 CREE LED bulb: - Colour Options – available in Pure Xenon White, Red & Amber. OEM Fitment – designed to fit just as factory bulbs, no cutting or splicing any wiring looms. Response Time - quicker ON/OFF response compared to traditional bulbs and LEDs. Power & Efficiency – LED power of 16W along with energy efficiency savings, to be used with 12V applications. Lifespan – 50,000 hours, thanks to the high quality USA imported CREE chips. Multi Fitment – can be used for Brake, Fog, Indicator and Reverse lights, basically anything with a T20/7443 socket! Dual Filament - two function bulb e.g. Brake Light & Side/Tail Light. CANBUS Friendly* – designed to work with majority of CANBUS related vehicles - See more at: T20 - 7443/3157 : T20/7443 - CREE LED 16W

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
i have these on my car already and they are dual bulbs. below is taken from the Horizon website -

Below are the key features of this T20/7443 CREE LED bulb: - Colour Options – available in Pure Xenon White, Red & Amber. OEM Fitment – designed to fit just as factory bulbs, no cutting or splicing any wiring looms. Response Time - quicker ON/OFF response compared to traditional bulbs and LEDs. Power & Efficiency – LED power of 16W along with energy efficiency savings, to be used with 12V applications. Lifespan – 50,000 hours, thanks to the high quality USA imported CREE chips. Multi Fitment – can be used for Brake, Fog, Indicator and Reverse lights, basically anything with a T20/7443 socket! Dual Filament - two function bulb e.g. Brake Light & Side/Tail Light. CANBUS Friendly* – designed to work with majority of CANBUS related vehicles - See more at: T20 - 7443/3157 : T20/7443 - CREE LED 16W

Ah brill! I was trying to judge from the connector as the description doesn't work properly on my phone.

So with that in mind it would be worth trying to get the diameter of the bulb - it might well fit without any issue.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Ah brill! I was trying to judge from the connector as the description doesn't work properly on my phone.

So with that in mind it would be worth trying to get the diameter of the bulb - it might well fit without any issue.
so if the bulb will fit the hole in the unit will the bulb holder fit the housing then do you think? maybe trim a bit of the tabs like on the indicator units... this is what im hoping for anyway! it will make things much easier to do.

ive started a new thread to see if anyone has done this and if it works. if i can get a 100% answer ill stick it on here for others.

i wonder why Honda removed the brake lights from this unit in the first place..:confused:

61 - 80 of 117 Posts