2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
so if the bulb will fit the hole in the unit will the bulb holder fit the housing then do you think? maybe trim a bit of the tabs like on the indicator units... this is what im hoping for anyway! it will make things much easier to do.

ive started a new thread to see if anyone has done this and if it works. if i can get a 100% answer ill stick it on here for others.

i wonder why Honda removed the brake lights from this unit in the first place..:confused:

When you get the CREEs you can test them :)

The CTR and facelift both have the same setup so I'm guessing Honda streamlined the units to cut production costs.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
i already have the Crees fitted to my car, which are awesome by the way... i almost need a donor fog/tail unit from a Type R to test fit..... expensive if it doesnt fit and i go ahead and buy one though!!!!

i would have thought more brake lights would give a better rating for safety etc. i guess costs come first.....

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
i already have the Crees fitted to my car, which are awesome by the way... i almost need a donor fog/tail unit from a Type R to test fit..... expensive if it doesnt fit and i go ahead and buy one though!!!!

i would have thought more brake lights would give a better rating for safety etc. i guess costs come first.....
Nobody in Leics with a CTR to test? I'll see if I can measure the diameter of the hole later on if you're not getting anywhere.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
thanks mate i would appreciate that. i dont know anyone personally with a CTR.... i was after the panel that came up last night in the classifieds which has sold now unfortunately.... but it will be good to know for when the next one comes up for sale.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
The type R centre light as you can see in my picture if this rubber shield is removed is there a fitting in there that could be accessed to place a bulb meaning fog light into that socket as I assume Honda have maybe blanked it can it be opened to place a fog light in there, or would that be road legal.

Also excuse my ignorance what is it you mean when you say ''replacement fog light panel''

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used this panel removal to remove centre cluster to clean all green algie gunk that gathers in clear edge, (soapy water&nail brush) and can honestly say if you stick at it, it is by far the best way to access all the nuts, lost a few trying it without panel removal but retrieved when it was off, a long flat dinner knife helped to remove poppers, reassemble took about 10 minutes!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Anybody knows the part number of the connectors required to fit into the ctr new side lamps (similar to the number plate connector) ?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Did this at the weekend to replace my centre light panel for a newer one. Managed to do the whole lot without removing the cover,re-fit then got to the last nut and dropped it! *&***$%!

Now I can hear it rattling around so I'm gonna have to remove it to get the nut out, having trouble shifting the cover at all though! Anyone got anymore handy tips? I guess you have to be pretty forceful with it!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
It's a real bugger to get off, and yes you do have to be pretty forceful with it! Just try and be as careful as possible to avoid breaking it...

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
It's a real bugger to get off, and yes you do have to be pretty forceful with it! Just try and be as careful as possible to avoid breaking it...
I'll have to give it another go at the weekend. I might invest in some trim removal tools as well

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I'm currently doing this mod in my black Honda Civic 1.8 sport.
The boot it's not easy to remove but I've found a good technique to make it simple and safe.
I will post some clear pictures once the job is done.
Thanks a lot for this how to.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Hi all,

The mod was done successfully last weekend, sorry for the delay on posting the pictures.

The main reason i've decided to remove the plastic boot panel it was because i read here that sometimes some of the screw nuts could fall in the interior and you have no other way to catch it unless unmount the plastic panel.

Following this how to, once you remove the two small interior plastic panels you can check clearly how are the pins mounted and connected to the metal boot. You can check that the pins have a small base to hold them in place.

So with a help of a small screw driver, you should position the tool, between the plastic pin and the metal of the boot (metal not represented here because the plastic panel was already off)

Now you should apply some leverage in the screw driver toll in order to obtain the force direction indicated in red and at the same way pull the plastic panel to you

Some pins you will have to apply a lot of force but the base where the pin is located is strong, you just have the to pull the plastic boot near that same point you're applying the force indicated in red.

To avoid scuffs in the interior metal boot i recommend to put some isolating tape in the screwdriver, otherwise you will have some small scuffs like i have now in the metal (will not be visible, but there's no need to have them :().

I end up damaging two pins (maybe they were more opened and required more pressure and didn't resist) so i decided to replace them for new ones so i can guarantee no vibrations because they could not hold at 100%.

So the here is the result before and after the mod:

Thank you Syx for the great How to, Civinfo and my Dad for the help and technique :cool:

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Well done mate and thank you for the technique for removing the panel... will come in useful I'm sure! :D

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Just been doing some searching and found this. I'm looking to change my centre light cluster for a Type R unit and this great guide has convinced me that the reverse/fog light conversion is the way to go.

I may have missed it, but could you tell me what bulb you use for the fog light - was it the same as a standard reverse light bulb just red? What wattage have you used? Is it bright enough to distinguish it from the rear position light? I have read the what I believe to be the current UK regs on fog lights, but it doesn't seem to go into detail on light intensity, just colour.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great write up. I have a 2010 si with the longer reverse lights with the fog inside the rear lights, could I fit one of the type r silver clusters in my car, are the bolt locations the same and will I have to mess with the reverse bulbs to fit them in the new smaller reverse lights or will there be enough slack to just plug right in.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
Great write up. I have a 2010 si with the longer reverse lights with the fog inside the rear lights, could I fit one of the type r silver clusters in my car, are the bolt locations the same and will I have to mess with the reverse bulbs to fit them in the new smaller reverse lights or will there be enough slack to just plug right in.
Think it should be straight swap mate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quick question, I have a 2010 si with the longer reverse lights, 5 door, can I swap a type r cluster in or are they not compatible, my fog light is inside my drivers side taillight so I have no need to mess with it in the new cluster. Quick replies are appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quick question, I have a 2010 si with the longer reverse lights, 5 door, can I swap a type r cluster in or are they not compatible, my fog light is inside my drivers side taillight so I have no need to mess with it in the new cluster. Quick replies are appreciated.
Oops forget this post Aha I already asked.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts