2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 plate FN2 has the usual rust on the roof, Im not going to have it repaired yet as can't really afford to spend around £800 to have it done. Im wondering if it's worth replacing the rubber trim with the new softer one to slow the progression down.

For a 13 year old car the rust isn't as bad as I've seen on others.
Can I do anything else to slow it down?
And how easy is it to replace this trim?

·
i-Vtec
2,795 Posts
Id try just a cleaner polish to clean it up, should lift the rust, see how it comes up. Maybe then treat with rust inhibitier like Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80. It turns clean metal black anyway.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Harratts honda Wakefield bodyshop charged me £500 for it to be done which I eventually got back from honda.

Replacing the rubber won't improve things, the paint is already cut.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't approached honda yet but as it's a year over the 12 year corrosion warranty I thought it would be pointless.

I'll probably just leave it, I'll probably make it worse trying to attempt to slow it down.

I've given up trying to keep it nice, just noticed some inconsiderate left a lovely door bang on the side of my car, and they always dent right at the crease :mad:

·
4,364 Posts
I haven't approached Honda yet but as it's a year over the 12 year corrosion warranty I thought it would be pointless.
Pointless? Probably. :eek: However, as there is absolutely no cost involved (unless you have a PAYG phone), isn't it worth a try?.;)

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Scumbags mate. I had that happen a good few years back on my Milano FN2, just booked in for a service ready to list for sale, went to a supermarket and some family wagon thing that was there was gone and a trolley right next to mine, on a windy day as well, was only a small door ripple type ding but so annoying, would have loved to have seen it. The amount of people that are too lazy or eat too much Mcdonalds to event take their trolley to a bay is staggering, basically even parking away from trolley bays does no good.

Would love to know more about the seal as well, seen it on Coxparts, do you peel off and stick down or something? Mine is fine, roof wise, but sticking up a touch.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, you can't have anything nice in this world with out someone ruining it.
It's not like it was a little tap, a nice dent and scratched the paint to bare metal. Must have had some force in it. Even if it was a kid it's no excuse, my son knows to not open doors onto other cars! Drives me mad.
I had the same thing happen to me before when I was in Halfords, I came out and a car had parked so close to me I couldn't even open my car door, went back in to find the guy and had a few words. Luckily he didn't damage my car but some people are just so brainless and inconsiderate.

·
Super Moderator
1,424 Posts
The roof seal just pushes into the channel at the top of the screen. Must be profiled to hook onto the screen and then tucks under the roof rail at each end.
Just lift yours up and you will see what I mean.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
The roof seal just pushes into the channel at the top of the screen. Must be profiled to hook onto the screen and then tucks under the roof rail at each end.
Just lift yours up and you will see what I mean.

Will have a deeper look tomorrow after car is back from MOT. Mine just sits up slighly towards the passenger side, past mid way point I think. Will get a pic. It just bugs me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Clean under the seal by wrapping a wet cotton hankie onto a blunt knife. Make several passes until the hankie comes out clean then Squirt it full of waxoyl while the weather is warm? Corrosion needs air,water and metal. Cut any of these out and it doesnt happen?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Lifted my seal up today like Wilmo advised, yeah it just lifts right out of a grove and tucks under just as he said. The problem is mine sits up slightly away from the sides where its held down, so I think I will order a new one. Only other option would be to try bend it down or glue it down. No rust issues but at £30 odd its worth doing. Will do what Dooper says and clean it out before refit. Deffo added to my list.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts