2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to Replace or Remove Foglight Housings

I made this how to as not all people want to undo the wheel arch to change a bulb and the car manual also states that this is the way it is done or if your housing got smashed you can use this method to change the unit.
This does not apply to the Type R and 2.2 diesel.

Tools:
Car Jack and its tools
Jack stand(optional, but recommend)
Safety glasses
New bulbs
10mm Socket
Socket wrench
Socket wrench extender(s)
A torch

I used Narva Plus 100 H11 bulbs for my replacement but if you want to replace them with some Xenon styled white ones or even some yellow bulbs.

I had to use 2 extenders on my socket driver cause the bolt that you have to undo was too long for it get in their otherwise

We know what jacks are used for

You should know what tools come in this bag

I put the jack under the mounting point to give me more head room when removing the bolt as you may need to lay down be looking up, use safety glasses so you do not get junk in eyes

Look under the front splitter and look at into the holes closest to the center of the car when you do you will see a bolt you want to undo, DO NOT TOUCH THE PHILLIPS SCREW, THIS IS THE ALIGNMENT SCREW

After undoing the bolt the light housing should come off if you pull from the center facing apex, if the bolt falls into the bumper just reach in and remove.

The housing just pops right out, now just undo the clip that connects it to the wiring loom

Put on a safe surface and rotate 45° to the alignment screw

It should look like this(i undid mine on a sponge and just placed it on the brick to take a picture)

Now just do the job in reverse order and go slowly.
Use a torch to see where the bolt should go when securing it in.

·
ivtec just kicked out,YO!
1,007 Posts
Nice one! Much easier than taking a bumper off

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Great how to :) but please note only applies to the 1.4 and 1.8 as the 2.0 & 2.2 have the holes on the passenger side (UK) covered by components behind the bumper (resonator and inter cooler respectively).

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Honda don't even make it clear in the ESM, just advise taking the whole bumper off :(
Think they recommend removing the wheel arch liner but TBH I'd rather take off the bumper than battle with that thing!!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Right well with the GP splitter I've got no holes whatsoever so it's a bumper off job. :(

·
Super Moderator
7,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that sucks, You could drill some when you have it off to make future jobs easy.
But you have a 2.2 so the intercooler would be in the way

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I've gotten rid of the standard intercooler and have a front mounted one. TBH taking the bumper off isn't a big deal so I'll just do that if necessary. Will have to have a look at my standard splitter and see what could potentially block the holes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I also have had those two holes on each side, bet when i have a car accident, the bumper was changed, with the lower part (i guess it is splitter), so the new splitter does not have had those holes. I think those holes should be drilled out before putting on the car... Also i think that in the inner side of splitter there should be X marks where to drill...

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I'm in the similar situation.
I have a Type-S 1.8 MY2009.
The splitter does not have any holes drilled.

My choices are:-
  1. Attempt to drill the holes blind
  2. Follow the offcial Honda procedure & remove the inner wheel arch
  3. Follow what some forum members say is the best method & remove the bumper
  4. Get a mechanic to do 2 or 3 for me! (Cop out I know)

I'm okay following instructions but I'm not experienced in car maintenance at all. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Success!

Okay job done!

I first attempted to get in via the wheel arch which didn't give enough access. In the end I half undid the bumper, just at the bottom, and it worked!

Here are my main things I discovered...
  • The fog lamps are fixed to the bumper not to the chassis! So removing the bumper only helps a little
  • You can do this with undoing the bumper below the light you need & pull back the wheel arch liner. The give you have is just enough to get your hand in to the bolt
  • The bolts holding the bumper on can shear off (opps). At least there are 50% still holding on the bumper onto my car
  • The bulb holder needs to be disconnected from the wiring loom before it can be removed from the lamp
  • Swearing helps

Balders...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi I having problems locating the bolt as I have look under the car and all I can see is under tray and water bottles from the engine bay and no bolts please help.... I have a 1.8 ivtec 2006

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi I having problems locating the bolt as I have look under the car and all I can see is under tray and water bottles from the engine bay and no bolts please help.... I have a 1.8 ivtec 2006

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
You should be able to see the bolt in one of the 2 holes.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
bit of a tip here. i have just changed my o/s fog light on my 2.2 ctdi and only needed a torch and a socket set.....

if you look through the front grill towards the back of the fog light area you can see the bolt that needs to be undone. stick the 10mm socket on an extension through the hole at the bottom of the bumper and you can guide your way to the bolt in question looking through the grill. undo and remove the fog light. i left the bolt in the socket and placed the ratchet on the floor keeping the bolt held upright just below its position for tightening. fit the new fog light and check its all working then again looking through the grill carefully guide it back into the back of the light bracket and tighten. job done.... took me no more than 10 minutes.

Reactions: Farqui and ifti

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
just noticed i said i replaced the o/s fog lamp. it was actually the n/s unit that i swapped over for a new one. the intercooler etc infront of the wheel doesnt get in the way as some are saying on the 2.2.

no need to jack the car up or remove anything apart from the light unit. just be careful not to drop the bolt that holds the fog light in otherwise you may have to remove the undertray to find it......

1 - 20 of 39 Posts