2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, while working on the steering / indicator stalk I made a mistake and have accidentally triggered the Steering / VSC control warning light. looking for advise how I can reset the error memory on the civic. Do i need special hardware for it or is there a reset menu?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,198 Posts
you can try disconnecting power for a while to see if it resets
but you may need a suitable code reader
what area are you in
have you drove car it might reset itself

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you can try disconnecting power for a while to see if it resets
but you may need a suitable code reader
what area are you in
have you drove car it might reset itself
Can you recommend one, I have a generic obd reader.. only drove for a couple of mins.. can try driving some more today if there is a chance it will reset itself?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,198 Posts
my foxwell nt 630 reset the steering sensor on my 8g
but the 9g is different
some code readers wont read the 9g properly

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my foxwell nt 630 reset the steering sensor on my 8g
but the 9g is different
some code readers wont read the 9g properly
Thanks agree. 9G is different none of my ELM based readers have worked correctly so far.. :(

If you don't have a HDS or a megabux code reader, the best thing to do would be to disconnect the battery (For a couple of minutes, both terminals to be sure!)

That'll clear any codes you get.
tried that mate. didnt work.. What I should have probably shared was I have a HDD navigation system so I wonder if the codes are being persisted somewhere..

A bit of history.. while changing the steering wheel, I accidentally ripped open the ribbon/ real part behind the steering.. I have put it all back and it seems to be working okay but I think I must have put it back a full circle different to its original position as it triggered the steering /VSC light on the dash.

I think I need to re-initialize the steering angle module..or force it to re-learn or some things. is this something that only HDS can do? can you guys recommend a reader if there are other options that can handle this?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,198 Posts
as ive already said my foxwell reset my 8g
so there will be a reader to do it without going to honda
ive used the foxwell on a 9g while it read the codes funnily as in showing as unknown code it reset the issue think it was a o2 sensor fault
as for putting on a full circle out simple test is how many turns from centre to each side lockout it should be very close both ways

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as ive already said my foxwell reset my 8g
so there will be a reader to do it without going to honda
ive used the foxwell on a 9g while it read the codes funnily as in showing as unknown code it reset the issue think it was a o2 sensor fault
as for putting on a full circle out simple test is how many turns from centre to each side lockout it should be very close both ways
thanks.. I will readup on foxwell and see if it can do steering re-initialize..

regarding the circles you are absolutely right. the ring itself can do 3 full circles on each side. the car steering however only requires it to do 1.5 for full lock. The way it was put on in my car from the factory was that the ring could do 2 full circles to the right and 4 to the left.

My OCD made me think I change that and do a 3 / 3 without any issues.. so I did. the car didn't complain initially but as soon as I did a full lock to the right to test the lock, the light came on... so I suspect the car some how keeps track of how much ribbons are being opened wind / unwind some how..

I have since put it back to the same circle configuration as it was from the factory 4 / 2.. the plan is to now first reset the error lights and hopefully the car will be happy with the steering info as it would then match the initial learning.. and if that doesnt work, I need to force it to re-learn

I agree I think taking it to honda is the last resort for me. it drives fine so I am gona see if I can source a decent price tool that can do these things for me.

do you have any experience with HDS clones?

·
Super Moderator
2,198 Posts
plenty on here have hds software on laptop with a suitable cable
ill admit I tried and failed to get it working
i tired installing it on my tablet as laptop has died a death

·
Super Moderator
2,198 Posts
ebay
for the cable and there was a guy who would pm you details of where to get the software
try searching for the old thread on hds

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you find the right guy to PM as interested myself?
I have ordred myself a unit from china, its been 6 weeks still waiting for it :( The tracking says it entered UK 4 weeks after being posted. not sure where and what is it doing for the rest of 2 weeks...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts