2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Have driven about 88,000 kms so far in my 9G (some of it hard driving - increased wear and tear which is understandable). Have noticed that the ride quality is fairly harsh now, almost bordering on uncomfortable; much like if you fitted heavy large aftermarket wheels and the suspension cannot soak up the bumps (it thumps over speed humps) and you feel the smallest road imperfections in the car. Seems like the shock absorbers are weak. Wheels are stock 16" and tyre pressures are at minimal recommended PSI, higher PSI worsens the problem.

In my previous 8th gen saloon I had the same issue around a similar mileage but replacing the shock absorbers didn't make noticeable difference (maybe the shop didn't replace the shocks and lied to me?) Are there any other suspension components (OEM) which I should look at to get replaced, repaired to restore the "as new" ride quality? eg. bushes,
springs etc?

The car is under extended factory warranty so I may be able to get some of this work done without charge.

I intend to keep my 9G for a while longer yet so would like to get this issue sorted
out if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Bushes and shocks would be my first port of call - but to be honest, 88k km is not that much, so I'm surprised it's feeling harsh.

Getting the geometry of the car checked (alignment) is probably also a good idea, as it may have "drifted" over time.

Finally, when you last replaced the tyres, did you go for a different load rating to the previous ones? Stiffer sidewalls can have a remarkable effect on ride quality.

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Tire Pressures.
One overlooked area of ride comfort, but tire pressures play a large role in it
Lower pressures make the car tires more spongy so they improve comfort, but at the expense of wear and fuel economy

Side wall height,
This one is obvious, the large the sidewall height the more comfortable the ride will be.

As for your extended warranty.
Honda wont cover leaking shocks, worn springs

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
If I remember correctly I am sure I read that the bushes on the 9th Gen are filled with a gel to improve ride quality,maybe there is a issue there?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
Your issue with harsh suspension sounds very similar to the faults on my 8th gen civic. I too changed the rear shocks but it didn't make a lot of difference. Rear is worse than the front. I said I wouldn't have another Honda because the ride is so bad on bumpy roads and there's lots of them. But on smooth roads because of the stiff suspension it's a pleasure to drive, but I've given in and bought a 2016 tourer(pick it up next week). So I'm disappointed to here that the 9th gen could go the same way. I don't think there are many out there that could diagnose the fault unless they experience it themselves. Hopefully Honda will improve there one weak area one day. If anyone has cured such a fault I would be interested to hear.
Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
You'll hardl cure it.The biggest problem on my old 8g was the "notching" that occurred in rear tyres. Tyres were inevitably distorted by about 3\4 way through service life.New rear tyres will work.I've a st of Bridgestones on back nearing wear limut and thry're horrendous on my present 1.6 9th gen. I'll know next week when I move my 1/2 worn Pirelis to back.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Dampers could be at the end of their life on 88k, depending on how and where the car has been driven.

What is the load rating of your tyres? Reducing the load rating from 92Y to 88Y improves ride quality on the FN2 for example. Tyre pressures also have a dramatic effect on comfort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts