2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I successfully retrofitted the OEM Navigation unit to my non navigation FN2
I'll post a full clip and instructions for any crazy enough person that tries to do this in the future.

The result looks amazing!

Waiting for some components so i can enable rev camera and iphone screen mirroring.
:laugh2:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, but i found this crazy cool german dude called Japido and he made a tutorial on how to get any composite video source into the display of the navi syst.
sooo with a lightning to hdmi adaptor and a hdmi to composite convertor and voilla iphone screen mirroring.
i'll post a clip of that also when imake it, for now i'm waiting for parts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
as promised, behold the clip:

http://https://youtu.be/5_WJawwt99I
it's still uploading so give it like 3 hours..

Disclamer:

It's 45 mins long because i tried to keep everything kind of realtime to give future *** an insight of how big this job is actually.
I think I covered all the aspects.
In the end I didn't use the steering wheel/airbag wire loom as I didn't need it.
Will have to fit the dual antenna loom in the end but i'll do that when I make the rev camera / iphone mirroring hack happen and post another (sorter) clip.

PS: excuse the crap sound.... Faeiyu tech g5 v2 just wrecks the audio from a go pro 5.... don't buy fy products....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
video input to navi system.

in adition to the german guy there's also Bog that has a beautiful guide of the same thing

Cheers guys!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think it depends on the year? - i have a 2009 with sat nav but apparently there is no way to get a conversion lead to connect a 3rd party camera to the video input. if it was 2008 i would have been ok!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i’ll film another tutorial when all the bits arrive.
update after a couple of days::
the headlight adjustment still doesn’t work and now the button illumination of the cd player and other buttons on the dash stopped working but i think that’s down to me not using contact cleaner on the new loom when i fitted it and also down to the glovebox bulb .
probably will have to take the dash out again haha... damm

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3d printed dvd unit brackets

the 3d printed mounts are in and working waaaaay better than my initial cable tie solution:))
i unsed a bunch of allen screws and nuts i had sitting around.
pm me if you'd like the files.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Antena loom final mood

In order to get the taffic updates/messages you'll need to replace the antena loom also.

And for some fin reason i can't post the link due to low post count

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PS: if you atempt to do this beware of the following:
My model was a SI
after replacing the wire loom i noticed all is working except the headlight adjustment and also i get a engine whine on the stereo( that's easy to get rid of)
did a bit of research and found out that the model i took the navi off was an EX that had HID's therefore it had a Hid leveling system, hence my headlight adjustment not working.
Sooo, i've got 2 options:
either to atempt to retrofit the original HID mechanism
or modify my wire loom to bypass that.
Either way I'll probably do another clip with either one I choose to do.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
The headlight levelling system linkage tends to seize and seems generally unreliable.

See this link

I suspect there will be a lot of HID equipped cars driving around with a broken level sensor linkage, but won't be aware as it's behind the undertray.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi Robbie!

thanks for the reply, i actually stumbled across that thread a while ago.

If anyone knows of a way to bypass those sensors i'd be grateful.
Atm I don't even know where they connect to, I mean i have a faint feeling it's at that big plug near the gear shifter as when i was fitting the new loom that was the only one that had some extra pins wired that weren't connected on my car's other loom that goes to the back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This was a good video to watch, was a shame about the audio but I could still hear you fine :)

I'm planning on doing a conversion of the screen into a non-sat-nav dashboard (got the screen unit on the way). Did this bolt straight up into the dashboard where the old smaller display was? I'm also wondering whether any additional plastic trim was needed around the screen? I can see that the flat panel needs bringing over from the sat-nav dash as it dives down to show more screen, but did any other parts around that area need replacing too?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This was a good video to watch, was a shame about the audio but I could still hear you fine <a href="http://www.civinfo.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:)</a>

I'm planning on doing a conversion of the screen into a non-sat-nav dashboard (got the screen unit on the way). Did this bolt straight up into the dashboard where the old smaller display was? I'm also wondering whether any additional plastic trim was needed around the screen? I can see that the flat panel needs bringing over from the sat-nav dash as it dives down to show more screen, but did any other parts around that area need replacing too?
from what i remember all you need is that plastic trim that goes under the screen, you’re right, the navigation one dives a bit deeper in the dashboard as the navi screen is bigger.
the gps unit bolts in straight away, the whole is there alreaddy,
the only anoying thing is at the dvd unit in the glove box , onthe navigation models there are 2 bolts welded to the frame intended to keep the dvd unit in place.
my car didn’t have those bolts so i 3d printed some clamps and that worked just fine.
my email is [email protected]
if you have a 3d printer i can send you the gcode files so you can print them yourself.
PS sorry about the audio of the clip.
it’s a known issue with gopro hero 5 and those faeiyu tech g5 gimbals.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts