2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my car (and others) the cig lighter body has a habit of popping out. It's not a good design, but if this happens you might be able to make it better by doing this.

Optionally remove the rear console - unplug the cig lighter wire. Instructions here:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154

The lighter unit has a black sleeve that has to be pushed all the way down to remove the lighter. This sleeve had become misaligned on mine, so we need to realign it.

Slide the black sleeve down by squeezing it's sides.

IMG_6394.jpg

Mine was poorly aligned:

IMG_6388.jpg

So I rotated it until it was aligned properly:

IMG_6392.jpg

Squeeze the sides again:

IMG_6394.jpg

Till it's down:

IMG_6395.jpg

And it's now ready to reinsert. But first file the pop-out clips just below the upper rim to give it a better clipping-on action:

IMG_6399.jpg

Then pop it back in, put the wire on and replace the rear console.

·
Registered
347 Posts
[HOW TO]s

Pottsy,

These are much appreciated. I don't want to do any of these things just yet, but one day I know iI will need to. And then I will be very very grateful not to have to work it out myself (and break things in the process :oops: ).

Many thanks, and please keep them coming.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cigar Lighter Socket Problems Experiences

Just to add my experience of this problem.
Dealer fitted two cable ties around the rear of the console to squeeze the black sleeve to try and help keep the cigar lighter in the panel. I always use high quality cigar lighter plugs with very strong springs down the side to power communications and sat nav in my Civic. To actually solve the problem I've removed the connector from the rear of the cigar lighter socket (T shaped connector). stripped back some insulation , soldered the wires together, then re-insulated these tap off wires to the white and black leads feeding upto the cigar lighter socket (use american wiring standard white=red +12v / black=ground 0v). There is a round blank cap in the armrest box between the passenger and drivers seat. the extension wire I've fitted from the cigar lighter socket comes out through that hole, inside the armrest box to a inline cigar lighter socket loose inside the armrest box. Hence I never now use the useless main cigar lighter socket anymore.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've just given this mod a try, and although it gives it a better hold, it's a looser fit, meaning it'll turn round a fair bit.

To over come this I've used a couple glue gun dabs to keep it in place.

I think a better idea would be to carve out a couple grooves in the surround where the clips press out against, meaning that it's a more secure fit and it doesn't rotate.

Also I found filing it down took forever, I used a Dremel instead, good job!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had this problem as i have a gooseneck phone holder plugged into the socket, which is pretty heavy and the socket (along with gooseneck and phone!) kept popping out the centre console every time i ran over one of Glasgow's many potholes. The cure was the liberal application of black 'Stixall' (sorry if tradenames are not allowed) above and below the socket. Rock solid now!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts