2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right, I haven't seen a full write-up about this, and I know there's a few people that want to do it.

This is a very easy modification and can be done in 5 minutes. The only con I can see from this, is when you put your key in the ignition; it doesn't light up any-more. It will when you turn the ignition on, though. Everything else still works as it should.

I wasn't and am still not sure if you have to take the side panel off where the fuel cut-off switch is and the one under the steering wheel, but mine was already off. I think you may struggle if you don't, as the panel under the steering wheel may get in the way.

If you do this mod without taking these panels off, let me know and I'll edit the post accordingly.

This beeping has annoyed me for years and to find out I could have it done in 5 minutes was both a relief and little annoying.

Here we go:

Take the side panel off, I got a flat-head screwdriver in to do this:

Now, you won't see the screw as I'd already had these bits off, but there will be one in there, remove it.

Now the panel under the steering wheel does come off quite nicely. I recommend a more forceful tug here, in order not to break any clips. Don't be gentle. Although, don't put your full strength into it.

Now, you're going to see 3 screws under the steering wheel plastic. Remove them

Give it a gentle pull from either side from the bottom and it should separate with the top half quite easily.

Now if you look at the ignition barrel, there should be two green cables. It's the cable that goes directly into the ignition you want to remove. There is a tab at the back which you need to hold and pull to get it out. It took me a few attempts to get it out though.

Now we're done.

Get the bottom of the steering wheel and top back together, line the panel that goes under the steering wheel, make sure all the clips line up the holes, and put the side panel back on and you're done.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My next plan is to find out which wire it is that is causing the beep, so I can just cut that, plug the connector back in and have everything the way it was, but without the beep.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Good write up mate, which one is it on there that connects to the airbad cause I think myn may be loose? Is there a airbag connected in all that?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I see several connections there - are you sure it just disconnects the key detection and nothing else? Because if so I'm doing this right now.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Do the other reminders like "light is on", parking-brake, seat-belt still working?
Is the light-sensor still working if you put your light switch on auto?

Im not sure but this could be related.

Reminder System (MICU) Input Test
They will all still work. All that connector is connected to is a little microswitch in the ignition barrel.

EDIT: Although, saying that, does the lights on warning come on when the engines off and the door open or with the key removed from the ignition and the door open?

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They will all still work. All that connector is connected to is a little microswitch in the ignition barrel.

EDIT: Although, saying that, does the lights on warning come on when the engines off and the door open or with the key removed from the ignition and the door open?
Yeah they are still functional.

Only difference appears to be: no warning message telling you key in ignition, no beep (obviously) and the dash doesn't light up when you insert the key. I barely even notice this.

Had a much more pleasurable experience today cleaning my car, without that stupid beep and without my battery dying as it seems to drain a lot quicker with the ignition on.

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
I was just gonna disconnect the speaker. Would that mess owt up? I don't mind the visual warnings, I just wanna be able to listen to the stereo with the door open without the beeping.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just gonna disconnect the speaker. Would that mess owt up? I don't mind the visual warnings, I just wanna be able to listen to the stereo with the door open without the beeping.
But all warning messages come off that - Low fuel, no seat belt, ice warning, engine warning and others. I would recommend my option to be honest. Very simple to do.

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
I think if you can't notice your dash turning yellow without a bing going off it's a poor do :lol: It depends where they've put the speaker though. I'll hunt it down over the weekend.

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
If you mean the several beeps at the beginning when you stick your key in and wait before starting your engine, it's your seatbelt warning alarm. For a while i sat waiting for the beeps to stop before starting but once i was in a hurry and plugged my seatbelt in halfway through the beeping and it stopped. So plug your belt in before you turn your key.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think if you can't notice your dash turning yellow without a bing going off it's a poor do :lol: It depends where they've put the speaker though. I'll hunt it down over the weekend.
Yeah, true point, I'd still rather that speaker worked, though.

However, I spent a while trying to track this down and could never find it. I can tell you though it's not next to the 'engine start' button, but it's in that general area.

I still recommend you do the mod, not unplug the speaker.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you mean the several beeps at the beginning when you stick your key in and wait before starting your engine, it's your seatbelt warning alarm. For a while i sat waiting for the beeps to stop before starting but once i was in a hurry and plugged my seatbelt in halfway through the beeping and it stopped. So plug your belt in before you turn your key.
No it's the key in ignition with the door open.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why would you have your door open with your key in the ignition?? sorry if im being thick
Cleaning the car. Having the ignition on drains the battery, and I like to listen to music whilst doing it.

There's also small occasions, to be honest it's just a nuisance and it's not really necessary.

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
I own an fn2 so not sure if the set up is the same but would switching the warning alarm to off in the menu stop this from happening, ive never thought about this beeping until now and because of reading this thread im going to notice it everytime it goes off now :mad:

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I own an fn2 so not sure if the set up is the same but would switching the warning alarm to off in the menu stop this from happening, ive never thought about this beeping until now and because of reading this thread im going to notice it everytime it goes off now :mad:
It's annoyed me since the day I purchased my first Civic. No, you can't switch it off in the menu.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
I have a better way to stop the beeping ... Take the key out. Lol

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
But then no tunes :( as was said, I wanna listen to tunes while cleaning the car. I'll find that pesky speaker, you mark my words!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts