2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from this (http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/5228-stop-seatbelt-beeper-merged-11.html#post735458) thread, as there aren't any more replies coming... And I know that everybody wants a fix for the "key in ignition" beeper... ;-)

Hi to remove key in ignition beeper when door open, Remove cover around steering column and unplug this connector.

pic 1.jpg pic 2 removed.jpg

And some replies:

Thanks!
If we can disable that stupid key reminder beep I will be so grateful hond4life
hmmmm... who will be the first to try/confirm this.
Someone tell me if this works haha, and what else that particular wire-set does, i stuggle to believe that set JUST turns a door/ignition beeper off :p

confirmation would be great
Love the way everyone is looking at one another waiting for someone else to volunteer to test this theory!

:D
I have had mine disconnected about a month now . The only other change is the dash does not light up when you first put your key in but is as normal when turned too position 2.
Does this actually work? No side effects? Can someone confirm??? PLEASE!!? :confused:

I just hate it when I'm washing the car, cleaning my interior, having the key in the ignition to play the radio and the f** thing goes like *beep beep beep* the whole time... So can someone confirm there aren't any disadvantages to unplugging this connector? Maybe Pottsy, because as far as I know he also had the electrical diagram which prove to all of us that disconnecting the seatbelt beeper connector was safe...

Also the next logical questions: Can I still play my radio with the key turned to ignition I while this connector is unplugged? And does it also stop the beeps on iginition I or only when the key is just in the ignition (not turned at all)...?

Maybe someone can shed a light in the darkness over here? Would be well appreciated... ;-)

·
JAE 2012 "cleanest car"
2,464 Posts
hope your plan works jeremiah as i hate this too, come on pottsy whats the score ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
hope your plan works jeremiah as i hate this too, come on pottsy whats the score ;)
Posted via Mobile Device
Why would Pottsy know - he no longer owns a civic :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Why would Pottsy know - he no longer owns a civic :confused:
He has the wiring diagram for the civic.. so he will be able to tell us what the wires do and where they go.

·
Administrator
21,238 Posts
I might consider this 'fix' as well.

So annoying.

I can understand the beep when the key is already in the ignition and you open a door, but why can't they program it so that if the door is opened first then you know what you are doing?

2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might consider this 'fix' as well.

So annoying.

I can understand the beep when the key is already in the ignition and you open a door, but why can't they program it so that if the door is opened first then you know what you are doing?
It should only beep when the key is in the ignition, but not turned...

So it should NOT beep when you're playing your radio etc with the engine off...

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
I think the ignition key switch goes straight into the MICU so unless anyone knows what magical trickery goes on in there I'm stumped...

But I'd hazard a guess that you'd also lose the rev guage and speedo lighting up when you insert the key.

·
Peanut butter and Jelly
327 Posts
just a quick question

Regarding leaving the key in the igniton at point 2, i heard somewhere a LONG time ago that this can burn your ignition coil out?
Admittedly this was on a bike, I've just always taken this as gospel in the absence of any contradicting info.

Anyone shed any light on it??

·
Peanut butter and Jelly
327 Posts
I don't know what they have tbh but it's got to have something to heat the plugs as apose to firing a spark (not familiar with diesel)?

just wondered if leaving it on point 2 would cause any damage if the car is not running?

saying that - it was a long while back someone mentioned it to me (albeit regarding petrol) just wondered if there is any truth in it?

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Leaving the ignition on with a modern petrol engine won't burn out a coil as there is no signal from the ecu to fire it. Years ago when most cars used contact breaker points if the points were at closed position at the time with the ignition on this would give the coil a constant 12v which then cooked the coil if the ignition was left on for long periods.Diesels do not use a coil as there are no spark plugs, diesels only rely on high compression to fire the fuel,the injector i suppose acts like a spark plug only injecting at the right time just btdc. Diesels only have heater plugs which are only used when first start up from cold,most of the time honda diesels don't really need them as direct injection engines start a lot better than indirect injection engines.

·
Peanut butter and Jelly
327 Posts
Thanks Fidsey!
I'm always open to a touch of edumacation!

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Update,
Done about 1000 miles with this plug unplugged, glow plugs operate as normal, nothing appears to be affected apart from the key in ignition beeper and the rev counter illumination at key insertion which I can live without. If there are any catastrophic events due to this plug being unplugged I'll update.

·
Peanut butter and Jelly
327 Posts
cheers Tristan,

I'll be doing the same this weekend me thinks :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts