2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it didn't take long before I got the drill to the Civ...

The idea is that the microphone for the Voice Control and the HFT is mounted on the left. It's not the best position and sometimes people you phone complain of muffled speech. So I've moved it from the left to the right to see if it makes it any better. It certainly sounds clearer when stationary, but I've yet to test it on the move.

Pop off the grey cover with your fingers (insert at the lower end), then unscrew the 2 screws. The mic is on the left and you can easily unclip it:

IMG_6276.jpg

On the back, unplug the green connector:

IMG_6278.jpg

Then remove the other half of the green connector by poking in a small flat head screwy:

IMG_6279.jpg

With the connector off you can now unclip the shiny black cover (two clips at the top) pictured below removed. You can then remove the mic and clip the shiny black cover back on:

IMG_6280.jpg

Use a 2mm drill and drill lots of holes. I did it in the same pattern as the left, but at the top (what will be rearmost):

IMG_6281.jpg

The finished new holes:

IMG_6282.jpg

On the rear I've removed a plastic post to allow the mic to fit in it's new position:

IMG_6283.jpg

Now I've reconnected the mic and stuck it to the hole on right using a bit of double sided number plate sticky (nice and sticky and thick and foamy).

EDIT 31/7/06

The "CivPilot mod".

Put the mic in with the wires on the right hand side - it is directional and it will pick up your voice better this way.
See posts below for full details.

IMG_6286.jpg

The green connector is now the wrong way round, but I've put it loosely where it was and taped it into position. It's a tight fit in there when you put it back, so it needs to be in that position:

IMG_6289.jpg

Poke it all back in - when you do, make sure the clips at the top re-engage into the roof - keep it pushed up (and engaged) while you do the two screws back up:

IMG_6290.jpg

Admire your first modification, knowing that it can all go back to standard if needed:

IMG_6291.jpg

Usual disclaimer: it's all your fault, not mine.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Can those bulbs in there be changed to the same blue lighting as the footwell?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Pottsy,

Great information, many thanks for sharing it.

Has it made a big improvement, or was it marginal? I would love to avoid some of the howlers from the Speech Recognition system

·
Registered
382 Posts
This is great information. I really would like to know if it made a big difference. I have no problem at all with voice commands, but the hands-free telephone is dreadful ..... nobody can hear me at all when I am doing anything but slow speeds ..... I need to fix this. Does anyone else have the same problem?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
pjelsworth said:
This is great information. I really would like to know if it made a big difference. I have no problem at all with voice commands, but the hands-free telephone is dreadful ..... nobody can hear me at all when I am doing anything but slow speeds ..... I need to fix this. Does anyone else have the same problem?
EVERYONE. It's just not up to the task.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Its good to know I am not the only one having these issues, has anyone had anything from Honda about this matter, the dealer has contacted them regarding this, but if anyone has any news it would be good to know.

Also, did moving it improve the sound quality? I rang myself from the car earlier left a message on the office voicemail, absolutely appalling quality, just got to try to get a copy of the message on to the computer to email to dealer now.

News on the success of the change would be appreciated.

Richierich

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Just called Honda Customer Services, who are not aware of any complaints/problems concerning the HFT on the Civic, they have only had compliments, I have proposed to email them a link to this site (any opposition), in the mean time it might be worth more people bringing it to their attention.

Call - 01753 590760
Email - [email protected]

I spoke to a Lady called Jo.

Richierich

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
richierich said:
Just called Honda Customer Services, who are not aware of any complaints/problems concerning the HFT on the Civic, they have only had compliments, I have proposed to email them a link to this site (any opposition), in the mean time it might be worth more people bringing it to their attention.

Call - 01753 590760

Richierich
Give the link to Sarah Roseblade. She's the CS Dept manager.

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
richierich said:

Call - 01753 590760

Richierich
They are lying, I called them about a week after delivery as my aftersales couldn't/wouldn't help. Raised the point and CS where like :?: :!: :?: :!: so I asked if there was a technical department to speak to ..."Are you a dealer?" no so they gave me the number of Honda Chiswick, spoke to a receptionist who said they were all busy and left a message for call back.....no call. I'll go round the block again when I have some time to do so, too busy posting on here at the moment :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ancient Nerd said:
Pottsy,

Great information, many thanks for sharing it.

Has it made a big improvement, or was it marginal? I would love to avoid some of the howlers from the Speech Recognition system
It's marginally better, but still not good enough. Can be very quiet on the motorway for the other party, but shouting at the mic helps!

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
With regards to the mic gain the dealer in Oxford did hint at the fact that there was a way to increase the sensitivity of the microphone, I did not push him too much, but it seemed as though there is some set up function that uses the eco lights as a gauge to show how well the microphone is listening they recommend it is 2/3 of the way up the scale.

Its funny that you mention Chiswick Honda, it is there Corporate sales division I am dealing with, although I received an email tonight to say Hoonda would contact me direct.

We'll see what happens, might call the Oxford guy and ask him if you can increase the sensitivity.

I managed to ring myself earlier and leave a message on my mobile phone, then used the phones memo recorder to record the message to the phone, beamed it to the laptop and converted it to a .wav, I might email that to them, I was on the brand new tarmac on the A34 north of Oxford, could barely hear my voice.

Maybe if we all shout loud enough they might hear us, or do you think the fact that we are all using the HFT means they can't hear!

Richierich

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Honda CS told me that Chiswick have a very good Tech dept that we the public can talk to as we can't talk to the Slough bunch :?: :!:

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Just had a thought today... you couldn't do this mod on my EX as the big rocker switch to operate the glass-roof is on the right side - bit trickier if you've got a glass-roof anyway! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
move the mic

i have moved my mir to the drivers side and it has made a massive differenc, everybody who used to complain when i used it with my phone now says it's a million times better and a couple have even said they didn't realise that i was on the hands free !!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just did it this weekend. Great guide, thanks. I couldn't quite drill as neatly as you but close. I also put some padding between the mic and the roof to try and keep other noises to a minimum.

Just spoke to the wife on the way to work this morning, and the difference is like night and day!

Thanks again for the guide.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
steveking1000 said:
Just did it this weekend. Great guide, thanks. I couldn't quite drill as neatly as you but close. I also put some padding between the mic and the roof to try and keep other noises to a minimum.

Just spoke to the wife on the way to work this morning, and the difference is like night and day!

Thanks again for the guide.
If you thought that was good, then go and check out all the other HowTo topics at
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

1 - 20 of 58 Posts