2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

How to upload pics

24K views 51 replies 26 participants last post by  Mikael 
#1 · (Edited)
Firstly you have to prepare your photos. Trying to post photos straight from the camera just won't work - they're far too big. For posting photos in a forum, they need to be small.

Use a photo editing program (Paint Shop Pro, or the Gimp which is free) to open the photo. Reduce the size to 640x480, then do a bit of sharpening. Save this as a new jpg file. This new small file is the one to upload.

OR

Use an online tool such as http://www.picnik.com. You can upload your photo, resize it to 640 x 480, apply sharpening (10 seems about right), and then save as a jpg (quality 8 is good).

Now, in a new post or having pressed "Post Reply" (not "Quick Reply"), you will see the attachments button (it's a little paperclip):

Text Font Line Technology Electronic device

This will open the attachments window:

Text Line Font Screenshot Parallel

Click Browse and browse to the photo. Double check that the photo is 800 wide or less (640 is good) and less than 256Kb. Click on the photo name and press open.

Then press upload and the photo will appear in the "Current attachments". You can browse and upload several times to add several photos.

When you're done, press "Close this window" and the list of photos will appear underneath your message:

Text Font Line Number Parallel

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's an advanced tip.

Load up your attachments so you have a list, ready to post. Hover over the link to your attachment, and you'll see, in the url, an "attachmentid". This id is a number (I've just done one and it's 562).

Now, in your post put the following code, anywhere you like in the text:

[attach]562._xfImport[/attach]

and you get the attachment in the post like this:

and not grouped together at the end.

So you can re-order them and bung them in the text. Happy days!

All taken from the FAQ (link at the top of the page).

#4 ·
Here's an advanced tip.

Load up your attachments so you have a list, ready to post. Hover over the link to your attachment, and you'll see, in the url, an "attachmentid". This id is a number (I've just done one and it's 562).

Now, in your post put the following code, anywhere you like in the text:

[attach]562[/attach]

OR

Having uploaded the files, when your cursor is where you want to insert the picture, click on the paperclip again and pick the image you want to drop into the post. Magic!

Text Line Font Screenshot Technology

#18 ·
Thank You FWH,
but this is not what i meant.

Don't know if it possible with vbulletin.
With other PHP boards You can link for ex. the pictures from Your personal album with
Code:
[album]1[/album] [album]2[/album]
for picture 1, 2 etcin an thread.

Just thinking to reduce the server load instead of uploading same pictures in each thread where you will use them.

#19 ·
The Insert Image button does just this.
It is the paper clip button that uploads.

Or am I missing something?

I assume the Insert Image button actually creates some code, just not sure what it is.

#21 ·
There's no easy way to do this, because the naming convention is not easy in vbulletin. So just copy and paste the pre-made bbcode found under each album picture into the thread. Don't worry about server load - it makes no odds. :)

#23 ·
hi guy's i have looked on the site but can't find how to put a little picture on my signature....can anyone help.

it's probably staring me in the face so apologies if it is ...lol

#28 ·
thanks for your help guy's :D

#29 ·
I'm trying to post up pics of a recent car show but the code is behaving oddly on this site.

This is an example of code I'm trying to use:

What I'm expecting to happen is on-click of a thumbnail pic, a new window to pop open with the full res version of the pic. However when you currently thumbnail it opens it in the on page image viewer, at the same thumbnail size which is highly annoying.

I've got around eighty images I want to put up quickly without uploading each one through 'attachments' and give users the option of clicking on any particular thumbnails to see the full res image of their choice.

I thought it might be something to do with the 'Automatically embed media' option at the bottom of the additional options so I tried unticking it but with still no success, it still comes back on after previewing post.

Can any of the admins/pottsy shed any light on this please.

#30 ·
I'm trying to post up pics of a recent car show but the code is behaving oddly on this site.

This is an example of code I'm trying to use:

What I'm expecting to happen is on-click of a thumbnail pic, a new window to pop open with the full res version of the pic. However when you currently thumbnail it opens it in the on page image viewer, at the same thumbnail size which is highly annoying.

I've got around eighty images I want to put up quickly without uploading each one through 'attachments' and give users the option of clicking on any particular thumbnails to see the full res image of their choice.

I thought it might be something to do with the 'Automatically embed media' option at the bottom of the additional options so I tried unticking it but with still no success, it still comes back on after previewing post.

Can any of the admins/pottsy shed any light on this please.
The pic url appears to be: http://s643.photobucket.com/albums/uu160/kimtheclickdemon/jae 2010/th_IMG_0284.png

When I open this in it's own window it is also small.

However, if I edit the hyperlink (remove the th_) to:
http://s643.photobucket.com/albums/uu160/kimtheclickdemon/jae 2010/IMG_0284.png

it shows the bigger pic.

If you want the thumbsnail that expands upon click I think you need to upload the big pic here (using paperclip) and the forum software will do that automatically.

If you link to an external pic it will show whatever you tell it to show only.

#31 ·
Hmmm, not quite. I know you can't have the image expand to a bigger one unless you attach it with paperclip.

I want to have small thumbnails in the post which open up in a separate window to full resolution version when I click on any of the thumbnails. Other forums can do this, why can't civinfo? a very annoying setback!

I just don't want to be sat here attaching over 80 pics, I'll be an old man by the time its done :(

#32 ·
If you use a lightbox like we do, then we need to tell the browser to open the picture at the end of a link, rather than the thumbnail in the lightbox.

The solution is to use this format:

[url=LinkToBigPhoto]URLofThumb[/url]

So yours would look like:

[url=http://s643.photobucket.com/albums/uu160/kimtheclickdemon/jae%202010/IMG_0284.png]http://s643.photobucket.com/albums/uu160/kimtheclickdemon/jae%202010/th_IMG_0284.png[/url]

And would display:

http://s643.photobucket.com/albums/uu160/kimtheclickdemon/jae%202010/th_IMG_0284.png

#34 ·
woohoo! that's the one right there.

Thanks Pottsy & FWH. Top men!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.