2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usual disclaimer: Do not mess with your car, it will probably break and you will have no warranty and all sorts of other horrible things may happen.

Was looking for a way to wire in the Snooper:

IMG_6244.jpg

Bit tricky but I did it by removing fuse 35 (7.5A, for the radio), poking the tinned and trimmed wire in to the fuse holder (at one end, so to make electrical contact) and then poking the fuse back in. The earth was found using a nice nearby bolt:

IMG_6247.jpg

This fuse is switched with the ignition, so the Snooper switches on and off with the car. It was simply a case of poking the wire behind the dash all the way up to the Snooper itself.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Pottsy, are you moving to Cheshire in the near future ?.

Your electrical jobs are first rate.

Put me on your list, if you are.

·
Registered
172 Posts
pottsy I am being dim but how did you get the wire up from the fuse box and through the dash (or does the wire just wedge itself in the door when it is closed- that would look a little rudamentary?)

·
Registered
246 Posts
You can feed the wire down the side of the door and tuck it behind the door rubber. Just done this with my sat nav.
B&Q also sell some nifty little cable retainers which are white and self adhesive. A quick spray with black paint and you can retain your cables and still blend in with the trim.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nadz,

Just peel away (do not remove) the black rubber door seal and you can poke the wire away into the void behind the dash - it's obvious when you try to do it.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or pop off the triangle on the side of the dash (poke something in the top and prise it out) and you can stuff the wire away to your hearts content:

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
cheers pottsy nice one yet again
now all I need is advice on what snooper is best. ideally I want one that only beeps when I speed near a camera and only beeps also when the camera is on my side of the road. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
somewhere in here along the way, I mentioned that I had my snooper hard wired in, and drew a dodgy diagram of it.

It wasn't this thread, but it seems like it should have been :)

so here (finally!) is a pic :)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: wiring a speed camera TR30 lite

I bought the TR30 Lite sometime ago.. After reading this articles and looking at the fantastic pictures I want to hide the wires. Also my wires arent' long enough and looks awkward if i stretch it.So went to Halford bought the female in-line cig lighter socket as you have mentioned in another thread.

Would you be able to explain to this naive driver how to go next

I understood about how to get to the dash board..

to be precise... I would like to know where to connect the 2 wires from the cig lighter.. and what should I be cautious about....

Thanks Pottsy in advance

jsy

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
J777,

Possibly the best way would be to pay a Halfords bloke £10 to fit it! You just need to connect the two wires to the car - the black one to earth (find a bolt that connects to the shell) and the +ve wire to a switched supply. You could go for the fuse method I did above (takes 30 seconds) or dismantle the centre/rear console (takes 10 minutes) and solder on to the existing cig lighter socket.

I would be cautious about screwing everything up (!) so I'd really suggest getting the Halfords guy to do it - with the right gear and knowledge it takes just a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanx Pottsy...

When I asked them yesterday they said it would be more for the new honda civic..i.e more than £40 which is for other cars ....just to fit this ...

jsy

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I'm having major problems getting my Road Angel Compact installed, I went to one Halfords store and they said they couldn't do it due to it being a new car and they weren't trained up past 05 cars or somthing like that and they referred me to another Halfords 10 miles away. I just got back from there and they told me that he hasn't done anything to the new civic yet but has done the Accord and had major problems and it took him ages so said it will probably be the same for the civic.

I told him that I have instructions on how to do it, I just don't have the confidence and would prefer to let someone who knows what they are doing do it. So I have to take it back on Tuesday for him to have a look and then he will let me know from there.

I looked everywhere for the female in-line cig lighter thing, but in neither of the Halfords I went in had any :(

From what you are saying pottsy is sounds straight forward and I think I will be able to manage it, is it likely to do any damage to the car or just the road angel if I do somthing wrong. I could cope with a knackered road angel as I got it cheap from ebay but if it was the car....doesn't bear thinking about:(;)

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Spent this afternoon wiring up my Garmin satnav using the Pottsy method above.
A little footery to get the +ve wire trapped in with the fuse blade (never seen such tiny fuses), but it worked like a charm and gives the tidiest of set-ups.

Thanks, Pottsy. You're some banana! :congrats:

PS for those that haven't spotted it....there's a fuse puller located in the under-bonnet fuse box. (and a load of spare fuses, too)

·
Registered
156 Posts
The only thing i,m worried about wuth having a snooper in mycar is that it might be an invitation for someone to break into the car, hence why i bought an ex model

·
Registered
156 Posts
somewhere in here along the way, I mentioned that I had my snooper hard wired in, and drew a dodgy diagram of it.

Hi there i,m thinking of buying the Snooper S6 R like the one you have and i was just wondering how you are finding it and also are you worried about someone breaking into your car and nicking it

·
Administrator
21,108 Posts
The trouble with the built in SatNav is that you have no camera warnings and no facility to add them. Not that we all bomb around, but it's easy in the Civ to unknowingly overstep the mark sometimes.

I have added a TalexLite to my setup and wired mine via the front ciggy lighter.

I took a feed from the lighter into the glovebox and wired in a double socket which is purposely designed to be screwed/glued to a flat surface. I have the Talex plugged into that and the other spare socket means I can charge the phone in the glovebox without having any trailing wires.

When I leave the car the Talex gets removed (only on an inconspicuous small magnet mount) and the wire easily hides in the gap between the door and the dash.

Proper Job !

·
Registered
156 Posts

ho and also where did you fit the radar box is it on your dash or uder the bonnet
cheerrs

1 - 20 of 49 Posts