2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mainly drive on weekends except for the odd short journey during the week - the roads in the UK are quite shite, so therefore I'm wondering how uncomfortable the ride in FN2 type R really is.
I'm coming from an old Yaris which I obviously felt every bump in and the cabin noise was loud. So compared to that will it be an improvement?
Do you still feel the ride in the type r and is it exhausting on 20mile+ journeys ?

·
Registered
527 Posts
On the motorway the fn2 is very comfortable, but on bad roads it can be quite uncomfortable and a bit jarring, on a normal fairly decent maintained road it's pretty good, it's better than I thought it would be when I read about them and saw reviews of them.

My brother has an old Yaris and he didn't mind the ride of the fn2.

·
Registered
836 Posts
When I had mine it seemed ok from the drivers seat, speed humps and pot holes you certainly know your going over one, my parents when passenger's were not keen on feeling all the bumps though

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I'd be surprised if the ride in an FN2 is more comfortable than a Yaris, even an old one.
I changed the springs on mine to the progressive Eibach ones and went back to the standard wheels rather than the 19" Rages.
Made some difference but it's still pretty bad.

Having said that, it's partly what the FN2 is about and gives it it's character :) You learn to live with it because it's part of what makes the car handle so well.
I regularly (3/4 times per year) did 200+ mile trips in it with no complaints/issues - as Diddles said it's pretty comfortable on the motorway, just not so much on the potholed B roads.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I have had a couple of FN2’s, on both I refreshed the suspension , new springs etc and run the standard 18’s. Yes it’s not riding on air and can be a bit bumpy but always to me not an issue and part of the drive

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
Agree with @Paulus_25 .
I have just replaced the shocks, top mounts, drop links and it has improved the ride quality but it is still very firm.
Must say that our 1.8 Si is not really that much better over bumpy roads and of course rolls rather more at speed in the corners.
If you want something that handles like the FN2 then there is a price to pay in comfort.
Having said that MrsW had a Mazda2 1.5 sport that was just as firm as the FN2 so she doesn't really notice the difference.

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
461 Posts
It’s harsh, no two ways about it, I have 19” rages and freshened the shocks, eibachs springs, does improve the ride quality slightly, but that depends on what you define as improvement, it’s still harsh ride. When You hit any kind of hole you know about it and so does the whole car. But like @Wilmo says price to pay for the top quality of the handling of the car.

·
Premium Member
2009 FN2 Type R
113 Posts
You learn to know the roads you drive on, then avoid the really bad parts. But yes, I love the ride, I knew what I was getting into, it is my daily (my commute is about 20 miles in total), but they are a pleasure for me, then when I want it to, it covers ground very well 😀 As others have said, you buy an FN2 for a reason and it is not its "air suspension" like travel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Must admit before I drove one I was expecting a skateboard like ride from all the harsh ride comments I’d read. Feels totally normal to me, certainly wouldn’t pick it out as any sort of anomaly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It really depends on your commute.
It can range from "great" to "awful".

Even on OEM suspension, a bad road will give you a serious headache.

When it comes to long trips, I always get mild lower back pain, but you learn to live with it.
Clutch is heavy and gas is sensitive, so you're in for a leg workout, too.

But this is comparing to a normal car...it's not really that bad, considering how well the car handles and how the seats keep you in place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts