2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much the title. Would you upgrade the HU or speakers first? I can do the speakers easier as obviously much cheaper (or should I get an amp as well?), but will I notice much difference or would I be better going HU first?

·
R-398
702 Posts
If you do speakers first then you will need an amp too, stock HU is not really worth the effort of new speakers without it. Upgrade your HU and the stock speakers transform.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
As above, HU first. There is a massive improvement from the standard speakers once you fit a better HU in there... to the point where I didn't bother changing the speakers at all.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was so very hopeful that it would be the cheap option xD thanks very much guys, I best get saving.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Agree with Syx , I got this 2 years ago Halfords | Sony WX-GT90BT Double Din Car Stereo

its not a fancy pants one to look at, BUT, it had exactly what I wanted, a 7 (or maybe 8) band Equalizer, PLUS the main thing to beef up the sound a LOUDNESS button ! Plus a USB port on the front to which I plug the tinyiest USB thing in there with 32gb of MP3 stuff, set to random play. . . . . .never need the radio ! The sound is much better than the standard system.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree with Syx , I got this 2 years ago Halfords | Sony WX-GT90BT Double Din Car Stereo

its not a fancy pants one to look at, BUT, it had exactly what I wanted, a 7 (or maybe 8) band Equalizer, PLUS the main thing to beef up the sound a LOUDNESS button ! Plus a USB port on the front to which I plug the tinyiest USB thing in there with 32gb of MP3 stuff, set to random play. . . . . .never need the radio ! The sound is much better than the standard system.
A very tidy looking system but I was wanting one with rear USB and a fancy touch screen and other things cos I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to technology >< lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
A very tidy looking system but I was wanting one with rear USB and a fancy touch screen and other things cos I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to technology >< lol
ha ha ! I would probably be the same if I were younger, I am an old f*** 60 this year, but still love to blast all kinds of music out. Like I say, I wanted more than a simple bass and treble button, as that alone (I found) does NOT improve the sound.

Get yourself a subwoofer the size of the boot ! :popcorn2:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ha ha ! I would probably be the same if I were younger, I am an old f*** 60 this year, but still love to blast all kinds of music out. Like I say, I wanted more than a simple bass and treble button, as that alone (I found) does NOT improve the sound.

Get yourself a subwoofer the size of the boot ! :popcorn2:
I can never be bothered to change the EQ much, and subwoofers take up vlauble beer space ;) Just a nice tidy HU with every feature under the sun for next to nothing would suit me fine...think I might be day dreaming a bit. My main issue now is Honda fitting kit or 3rd party o_O

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I was stunned the first time I heard the double din in action - there is nothing wrong with the standard speakers, its the oem stereo that is lacking.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I got this HU, pretty good and powerful.
JVC KW-R600BTE Car Stereo: Amazon.co.uk: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41tJL1WSXbL

I went the way and upgraded my speakers first, there was a difference with new speakers, I'm not going to lie, but not as much as I'd hoped or wanted. As people have stated it is the HU that doesn't drive the speakers well enough, as soon as I changed the HU there was a big difference!

Also I have no extra amps or anything, just running from the HU Amp.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I guess I now know what my birthday money is going to be going towards! Thinking something along the lines of the following. Just a shame they're so steeply priced >< Anyone got any opinions on the OEM vs Connect2 (I think it's connect2) fitting kits in the Type R?

AVH-X3600DAB Double Din AV station built in DAB radio and Bl

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm might have to have a look into that, wouldn't mind a bit more bass when I've got some of the heavier metal blasting out. How easy is it getting cabling to the boot?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts

Hi, I've just bought the same Sony unit and about to do the double din conversion. Where did you find was best location for the mic? Also what supports the weight of the hu and cage in the car, is there a bracket?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, I've just bought the same Sony unit and about to do the double din conversion. Where did you find was best location for the mic? Also what supports the weight of the hu and cage in the car, is there a bracket?

oooops , just seen this, anyway, I cant help, I got it professionally fitted ! Hope you are pleased with your purchase ha ha !;)

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
No probs. I've got all the bits just waiting for a spare afternoon to fit it. I think Im going for near the rear view mirror unless it's too involved in which case it'll be at the top of the b pillar.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have a dig around, I think there's a way of feeding it under the dash under the clock and that so you can have it right in front of the steering wheel

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Cheers trigger. Head unit is now in. I routed up the b pillar and roof lining to next to the rear view mirror. Works a treat and no wind noise when I wind down the window, although not much chance of that at the moment.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to drag this one back out, as soon as my last few direct debits go out tomorrow/thursday I'll know what money I have to play with. I was looking at the Kenwood DDX-5025DAB as there's a well priced one on eBay at the moment.

Does anyone have any view on the unit or could suggest a better alternative? Don't want to be spending much more than 250 on it (yeah yeah I'm a cheap skate) and want a touch screen, front loading cd slot, rear usb and reverse camera in put. Bluetooth would give bonus points but I'm anti social so not that bothered. Cheers all

·
Registered
88 Posts
Does anyone have any view on the unit or could suggest a better alternative? Don't want to be spending much more than 250 on it (yeah yeah I'm a cheap skate) and want a touch screen, front loading cd slot, rear usb and reverse camera in put. Bluetooth would give bonus points but I'm anti social so not that bothered. Cheers all
Pioneer AVH-X2700BT meets all of your requirements.

Pioneer AVH-X2700BT 6.2-Inch Touchscreen Multimedia: Amazon.co.uk: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Hfn%[email protected]@[email protected]@51Hfn%2Bz21LL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts